Need a 8 Port DVR Card that will work with BI and Windows 8.1 64 bit

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking a building a video system. I have a Windows 8.1 64 bit system that I want to use. I need to find an 8 port, DVR card that will work with Blue Iris and a 64 bit Windows 8.1 box.

I contacted Blue Cherry, but they are out of stock on their cards that will work. Does anyone know where to get a DVR card that will work? I see lots of cards on EBay from China, but I don't know if they will work with Blue Iris.:sad2:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quick fenderman. I talked to Blue Cherry today. The only card they have that works with Windows 8.1 64 bit is out of stock.

The trick is to find a card that will work with Windows 8 and 64 bit and Blue Iris.

My home already has 6 cameras hardwired and I want to be able to use them. I also want the ability to add new IP cameras when needed--that is why I am traveling down the PC route for a DVR solution so I can have both wired and IP cameras. I want to use Blue Iris so I can integrate the camera system into my VeraEdge system. The VeraEdge system will then control my alarm system, camera system and home automation system with a single app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What DVR are you currently using? Blue iris can import the streams from the DVR itself if its capable of sending them. If yours does not work, maybe someone can recommend a cheap dvr that does..this will have the added benefit in that you can record to the DVR itself as a backup.
Another option is to use an encoder. Grandstream makes one, its 4ch. http://www.grandstream.com/products/ip-video-surveillance/gxv350x

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
My DVR is a JPEG2000. I don't think it has the capability to output the cameras so Blue Iris can see them. You can view the cameras over the internet with some proprietary software.

The encoder option is a good option, because it gets rid of finding a DVR card compatible with Windows 8 64 bit. The only downside is that I would need two of them, but that might be my only option.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My DVR is a JPEG2000. I don't think it has the capability to output the cameras so Blue Iris can see them. You can view the cameras over the internet with some proprietary software.

The encoder option is a good option, because it gets rid of finding a DVR card compatible with Windows 8 64 bit. The only downside is that I would need two of them, but that might be my only option.
if your dvr can output a stream over the internet, then most it most likely can work with blue iris. Is there a full name or model number?

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
The DVR does not have a model on it. It was a JPEG2000 that was sold under different names by different manufactures.

Here is a link to what the DVR looks like http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/DVR-Remote-Surveillance-s/95.htm
I tired to connect to the DVR with Blue Iris and it wouldn't connect. I tried to select the device type "Network IP" but it never found it.

I suspect the encoder is the way I will go. It simplifies the installation and eleminates the setup issues with Windows drivers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really think you will be wasting money on an encoder..the DVR will most likely work with blue iris...you can even buy a cheap dvr that is on the blue iris list..The reason why you could not get it to work is that you dont have the correct path..
First, download ipcamviewer by robert chou (ios or android) it has a scan function and will give you a list of compatible dvr's maybe one of them is on the blue iris list...
Also consider that for the cost of two encoders you can buy 4 cameras that will have way better resolution than your analog cams.

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded the ipcamviewer software and scanned to find the DVR. It did not find a match for my DVR.

After reading your last post and doing research on IP cameras I have decided to just buy new cameras and skip the encoder. My biggest reason for hesitating was not having power for the IP cameras, but I can solve that problem by using the existing cables for the hardwired cameras. Those cables supply 12 volts to the existing cameras. I can install wireless IP cameras and use the power from the cable to supply the new wireless IP cameras power.

Thanks for taking the time to help me sort this out. Like you said, the new cameras will offer way better resolution and the price for 6 new cameras will not be much different than buying two encoders.

One last question--will Blue Iris find pretty much every IP camera, or do I need to make sure the camera is listed as supported by Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would strongly advise against using wireless cameras.....with most decent ip cameras like dahua or hikvision, you can power the camera and transmit video over the same ethernet cable (they are POE capable, you will need a POE switch). Dont buy junk ip cameras. Which ones are you considering?

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
I am going to have to use some wireless cameras because it is impossible to run a ethernet cable to some of the camera locations unless I want to start ripping out sheet rock. I have video cable running to these locations already that has power in the cable that powered the wired cameras. It is a three conductor cable with power, ground, and signal. So no way to make these cables into ethernet cables. The run is too far to pull new cable.

I am just beginning my search for cameras. There are cheap ones from china on ebay, but they scare me. Any recommendations for exterior wireless cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, dont buy the cheap ones on ebay... if the current cable you have is not stapled into place you can use it as a pull string to pull ethernet...another option is to use a powerline adapter...if you are set on wifi, hikvision makes some wifi cams...you need to specify wifi capability when ordering. If you are currently using coax there are ethernet of coax adapters but they are costly. http://www.amazon.com/Dualcomm-Ethernet-over-Adapters-DECA-100/dp/B009AGCLVG

http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101515575593722.pdf
or the 2532iws are your options with hikvision

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.