Need a cheap POE ip camera compatible with Hikvision NVR

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 6 Hikvision cameras connected to DS-7608N-E2/8P NVR. System is working well and covers the area almost completely. But I have a small problem. I have two small storage units, that are secured with an alarm system, but not cameras. I'd need to have some cheap cameras there, that could be checked in case of alarm (happens maybe once or twice in a year and so far have been false alarms due to cold temperature and PIR sensors or birds, or other small animals triggering the sensor).

Therefore, I need cameras that I can use to check remotely (iVMS-4500) what is happening there. I have basically no requirements for video quality, there isn't much left in the NVR's bandwidth anyway, and no reason to upgrade. I just need to see if there is a person or not. Could you guys help me out? Aliexpress is full of cheap cameras, but which one actually works is another question. Or should i just go with hikvision cameras, even though it seems like a waste of money, when i don't need that much.

In short, my requirements:
-POE
-Compatible with DS-7608N-E2/8P and iVMS-4500
-Price under 50usd
-Reliable
-Waterproof and night vision is a plus

By the way, the reason I'm posting is that last night a false alarm occurred in middle of night. I didn't see anything from the cameras, but since it's better to be safe than sorry, I got up and rushed to check it. It was a cat triggering the sensor, even though they should be pet safe sensors. Unfortunately small animals can get it, nothing can be done to it now. Except adding cameras :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can get much better PIR sensors that a cat wont set off, but it could cost you as much as a camera.

many have pet-corridor modes, where you mount it at ~4ft height and it does a solid beam across.. those work very well indoors, even with large dogs.. both Bosh and Optex make great PIR's that you can get practically zero false alarms out of if you install them correctly.. going to run you $40-$120 depending on what you go with but the more money you spend the less likely it'll false.

Perhaps get a camera with onboard SD storage and an alarm input, set to record when the alarm is triggered.. then you could just view it remotely without actually plugging it into your NVR and using any of its bandwidth.

If this is indoors with a nice enough Hik w/alarm io you could use intrusion detection/line cross to trigger the alarm instead of a cheap pesky PIR.. or as a backup, say the camera has to trigger AND the pir has to trigger for an alarm to be notified.

I like cameras with alarm IO, hard to convince my self to buy one without.. just useful in so many ways.

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have sensors that shouldn't react with small animals. But the storage is small and narrow, so if for example bird flies directly in front of the sensor, it will be triggered, no matter how good sensor it is. I have even set it up so that it take longer time to activate. And once in year a false alarm is not much. So the easiest way is definitely is to add cameras there. The alarm system is separated from the camera system. If the alarm system is triggered, it calls and sends sms.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah but you can have the alarm system also trigger the recording and you can figure out what caused it, wont take up any storage space or nvr bandwidth, or even wear out an sd card recording all the time.. perhaps also trigger it to send an email or push the video to your mobile via your NVR.

some environments is a bitch to get no false alarms w/MD, i try to avoid em in those situations and go with normal contact switches, pressure pads and trip line sensors.. those tend to eliminate false alarms entirely when nothing else will. is this a barn or some place your getting all these critters? normally when I think storage units I picture units that are sealed up pretty tightly, maybe a mouse but never cats/birds.

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those cameras I have now handle the recording and it's fine like that. It's very unlikely that a person could enter those storages without being recorded by the cameras I have now. But if the false alarm happens at night, I don't have the time to go through the recordings. Those storage units are more a shelter or barn. Big enough to fit a car. But not even close to being sealed up. I might have them rebuilt at some point but not in close years. Luckily running a network cable there from the NVR is not a big deal, so extra cameras would do the
I have changed the sensors and adjusted the parameters of the alarm system many times. Waiting a year just to see if there is an false alarm is quite a long time, so I rather have something to check if it truly is a false alarm or not.

It breaks my nerves when I have a blind spot in the area.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I live around 15min drive away from the place I have secured with alarm and cameras. I'm quite often even further, so it would be nice to be absolutely sure before calling the cops. So that is why I want to have no blind spots.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1st you should never use PIR in garages or lockup even pet immune sensors.
You should be using dualtec sensors, these are PIR and low powered microwave combination units and work at low a and high temperatures without false alarming.

Hikvision camera are good quality, and cheap it's not worrth going for a cheaper option.

Last edited by a moderator: