Need a new server

FR9Ford

n3wb
Reaction score
So my primary server died. I’m in a scramble to build a new one. I’ve found a decent deal local to me to get a 5820K with a board and 16GB of RAM for $300. With that CPU not having quick sync I’m not to sure how it’ll handle the load. I currently have 9 4MP cameras @20fps with three more on the way. I can’t decide if I wanna go with this and maybe get a GPU to decode? But I’m not sure what kind of GPU I’d need to handle that load either. Or should I just keep trying to find like a 7700K or something and just go without a GPU. Electric cost is not an issue to me, great performance is more important to me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So my primary server died. I’m in a scramble to build a new one. I’ve found a decent deal local to me to get a 5820K with a board and 16GB of RAM for $300. With that CPU not having quick sync I’m not to sure how it’ll handle the load. I currently have 9 4MP cameras @20fps with three more on the way. I can’t decide if I wanna go with this and maybe get a GPU to decode? But I’m not sure what kind of GPU I’d need to handle that load either. Or should I just keep trying to find like a 7700K or something and just go without a GPU. Electric cost is not an issue to me, great performance is more important to me.
An i5-8500 will beat both of the cpu's you suggested and can be had for 400. IF electric cost is not an issue why is the cost of the pc an issue?