Need a Porch light camera

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have any of our favorite Blue Iris compatible vendors made something like the Maximus Outdoor light cameras?

My front porch is a tricky situation for wiring, so a Wifi light that could take the place of my wall mounted porch light would be the bee's knees.

I don't allow the cameras access to the internet, so I'm only really interested in one that does a local connection to BI.

Here's the link that started me thinking:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
720P isn't very up to date. Another problem, I see, is that the camera is mounted under the light and will be subject to too much light in too many situations. Normal practice is to mount a camera above the light source to prevent that. Worst case scenario, pull the interior molding, run a cable, or two, and use a real camera.

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's no getting a wire without some drywall removal, and I have no spouse approval. :)

If one of the beloved companies makes what I need before I whittle down the better half's resolve, all the better. If not, eventually I'll get a wire.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have any of our favorite Blue Iris compatible vendors made something like the Maximus Outdoor light cameras?

My front porch is a tricky situation for wiring, so a Wifi light that could take the place of my wall mounted porch light would be the bee's knees.

I don't allow the cameras access to the internet, so I'm only really interested in one that does a local connection to BI.

Here's the link that started me thinking:
I'm always on the lookout for the same thing. I already have power at my front and back porch lights and running RJ45 there would be a big PITA.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another trick, pull the porch light and wedge if you have siding. Figure out which side of the box is nailed to the stud. Insert a flex bit on the non-stud side and drill up into the attic, or down into the basement, No additional holes that way. Then mount the camera above or to one side of the light.

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a double boxed brick house with a poured porch. The roof is pitched so that I can't get easily from the attic crawl space to the porch area.

The solution, if I can't get a wifi porch light and camera bundle, is to:

1. cut a hole on the inside
  2. use a installer bendable drill bit to go through the floor plate into the basement
  3. probably cut another hole inside to route the wire outside to doorbell height
  4. get a divorce attorney
  5. run the wire through the basement to the switch
  6. patch all holes
  7. patch relationship
  8. repaint section of wall
I have a wyze camera with the rtsp beta firmware setting in a window, and it is bridging the gap fine. I just have to reboot it daily due to rtsp service dropping out. This is annoying, but not as annoying as the before mentioned list.

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I say just order it put it up and when it doesn't work, you have to let spouse know why you have to run wire through drywall. You know use the i did it your way honey.
I'm not even remotely interested in that device, it requires an app and service. I was just hoping for an equivalent that would work with Blue Iris.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not even remotely interested in that device, it requires an app and service. I was just hoping for an equivalent that would work with Blue Iris.
@Jack Haley

Check out:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a double boxed brick house with a poured porch. The roof is pitched so that I can't get easily from the attic crawl space to the porch area.

2. use a installer bendable drill bit to go through the floor plate into the basement
  3. probably cut another hole inside to route the wire outside to doorbell height
  6. patch all holes
  7. patch relationship
I have a wyze camera with the rtsp beta firmware setting in a window, and it is bridging the gap fine. I just have to reboot it daily due to rtsp service dropping out. This is annoying, but not as annoying as the before mentioned list.
This made me laugh!!! You too must have a wife who does not fully appreciate this hobby and the number of holes it requires in walls, ceilings, and other parts of the house. Haha! Many times she’s caught me with the drill and exclaimed “more holes?!”. Haha. The key to happiness is patch and paint quickly!

Although she claims to not care for the cameras the logs seem to show she uses her app to view them more than I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

6. patch all holes
  7. patch relationship
Hi @Jack Haley

"The solution, if I can't get a wifi porch light and camera bundle, is to:
  6. patch all holes
  7. patch relationship
I have a wyze camera with the rtsp beta firmware setting in a window, and it is bridging the gap fine. I just have to reboot it daily due to rtsp service dropping out. This is annoying, but not as annoying as the before mentioned list."

A) Completely possible to DIY and do a decent job.

B) Issue: The roof is pitched so that I can't get easily from the attic crawl space to the porch area.
Solution: I've used a 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe for this and pushed it out from one section of the attic I could access into sections which I could not. Opened up a small section of ceiling and wall and attached the PVC pipe, pulled the cat6/5e and drilled a hole to get from the attic down the wall. DIY learning, but worked really well. ( I pulled extra cables - 2x for a camera position, and 2x for a couple for a inside wired ethernet ports. )

C) Issue: WAF, divorce attorney, relationship.
Response: WOW. Perhaps some help to make a better relationship would be a great idea even if you don't do any DIY cabling work. Seriously, there should be minimal anger in any close relationship. ( seriously, please do work on your relationship some.. happiness helps keep people more healthy )
It is possible to hire someone to do this work. Just have them pull N+1 lines.

D) The garage is a great place to start as typically less WAF on any drywall in the garage. Good place to practice your skills - and for some homes you can get coverage of the driveway ( 2 cameras ), the mailbox / street parking, and the front door walkway and area, along with one side of the house. ( often 5-6 cameras and you've got the front and one side covered. )

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Easy Peasy....drywall repair is no big deal