Need advice about my upcoming setup

dks2

n3wb
Reaction score
Total newbie here. Just moved into our first house. Like most others, I'd like to secure it with cameras. I've been lurking here for a while and been reading up on information (It's like drinking water off of a fire hose!)

I've decided to go with the Dahua ecosystem.

I’m thinking of the following setup:
Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 or NVR5232-4KS2
IPC-HDW5231R-Z (Varifocal Turret) – 6 cameras
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS (Fixed Turret) – 3 cameras
IPC-HDB4231C-AS (Mini dome for indoors) – 2 cameras
6TB WD Purple NVR HDD ($100 more than 4TB, though). Will put in another 6TB later.

Accessories that I intend to buy:
1000 ft Cat6 bare copper cable (Any reason I should upgrade to Cat6a?)
Crimpers
RJ45 Plugs
Fish tape
Cat cable tester
Universal electronics weather seal for the Cat plugs

I have the drills, spade bits, drywall saw, etc needed for running the lines through my attic. I also have an Asus RT-68U (TM AC-1900) router upgraded to the latest Merlin Firmware.

Now, to my questions:

Would this be the ideal way to setup the cameras via a POE switch?
https://www.securitycameraking.com/securityinfo/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Basic.jpg

Anyone have experience with the BV-Tech POE switches? I’m looking at this 16 port one.
Amazon.com: BV-Tech 16 Port PoE+ Unmanaged Switch + 2 Gigabit Ethernet Uplink – 130W – 802.3at – POE-SW1602A: Computers & Accessories

Also, I’ve been reading about setting up VPN through my Asus router (Thanks Nayr for your amazing guide).
Would my internet speed drop dramatically when I use VPN to view my cameras from outside my home network? Say if someone else were watching Netflix on the TV and doing some other work on their computer, how would it affect their end when I log in from work and look at my cameras? FWIW, I have the Xfinity 100 Mbps plan.

Have I missed anything else? Thanks for your time.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: mdm

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Connect the NVR to switch and switch to pc...
To expand on this, a 16 port switch is big enough to allow more flexibility. If you can leave switch built into your router out of the connection between your cameras and nvr or blueiris pc it won't go down every time you reboot your router.

Last edited:

MR.R3D

n3wb
Reaction score
The VPN will degrade their service since another user will be on it. However, you may have a strong enough upload/download bandwidth that it does not matter.

Just imagine how your service is when 5people are watching netflix at once compared to 1 person watching netflix. Bandwidth will still be used until it caps out. You may or may not notice.