Need advice building or buying a new IP NVR security system

Chasecam

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a website that I can go to and just find a one stop by all Dahua or Hikvison 8 cameras system complete?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about buying this system to upgrade from my arlo system. What are your guys opinions???
Costco Wholesale
Hi Chasecam,

Definitely dump the Arlos.

I would narrow it down to the following 3 options imho.

(1)
If you want to go for the Costco route I would go with this instead ( looks like the same NVR ):
Costco Wholesale

And then augment it with 2x Dahua OEM starlights from Andy.

More info on that kit here:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

If you can afford it:
(2) I picked up a NVR5216-16P-4KS2 and the Dahua OEM starlight cameras ( HDW5231xx ) and it works well.
(3) Others here really like the Blue Iris on a used windows i5/i7 PC + external PoE switch.

Note - all the cameras mentioned above will work with Blue Iris - so if you want to upgrade to BI later you can do so fairly easily.

Chasecam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Chasecam,

Definitely dump the Arlos.

I would narrow it down to the following 3 options imho.

(1)
If you want to go for the Costco route I would go with this instead ( looks like the same NVR ):
Costco Wholesale

And then augment it with 2x Dahua OEM starlights from Andy.

More info on that kit here:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

If you can afford it:
(2) I picked up a NVR5216-16P-4KS2 and the Dahua OEM starlight cameras ( HDW5231xx ) and it works well.
(3) Others here really like the Blue Iris on a used windows i5/i7 PC + external PoE switch.

Note - all the cameras mentioned above will work with Blue Iris - so if you want to upgrade to BI later you can do so fairly easily.
Thank you, I saw this at Costco yesterday but like the idea of the PTZ but unsure how good it will work or if it will auto focus and roam?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I saw this at Costco yesterday but like the idea of the PTZ but unsure how good it will work or if it will auto focus and roam?
Hi Chasecam,

You can buy a better PTZ and add it to the other kit.

The PTZ included in the kit you point out is 1080p, 4x optical zoom, and from what I can see in the picture does not have internal IR.

Andy can probably get you a better starlight model which will out perform the one included in that kit in low light conditions.