Need advice configuring new setup

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
  1. First let me say Hi to everyone before I explain my problem. I run a small auto repair shop out of my house, never had to worry about security when I moved here 30 years ago, the was only 2 families here then. The neighborhood has now grown in all directions and filled in. Below is a sketch of my place, not to scale but close. I have already ran cat5 to all of the buildings and have a poe switch in the shop. I plan to buy from milkisbad and have decided on the LTN8816-P16 or the LTN8832-P16. Would like to have 2 cameras in the shop and 1 on each end covering the yard between the shop and house. Want 1 camera in the barn and want to hook these 5 cameras to the switch in the shop if I can. Then want a camera on the front door, back porch, 1 on the porch to cover the door on the small laundry room and then 2 on the back of the porch to help cover the yard. There is always quite a few customer cars parked in the yard, that's the reason I want to cover it with 4 cameras. There is a night light on the front center of the shop. I am certainly not rich but want cameras that you can see the people, not just the shapes of people. Would like to stay with the 3mp cameras and a couple of the newer 4mp. Really would appreciate the help to pick the right cameras from his catalog.

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Haven't seen the catalogue but if LTN8832 (non-PoE) version is available then maybe best to get this plus another 2x 8-port PoE switches. This will mean less cable runs back to the unit.

Tbh, except the WDR stuff, the difference between 4MP and 3MP and 2MP in terms of detail and image quality isn't anywhere near double. Most areas even decent 720p would probably be ok for you (not saying you should do that btw!).

Personally, if I was you (and the business is paying), I'd get the WDR 4MP stuff and do this once and not have to worry ever again. The difference in price isn't extreme.

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The LTN8832 is in the catalog and price is better then the other. Just to be sure of what you are saying I could use a POE switch in the shop for those cameras and then only have one un back to the nvr. Would that one run back handle all of the data? The only reason I would not use the 4mp is price, my company, comes out of my pocket. any advice on which lens to use

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

1) Have a 4-port switch next to the NVR
2) Connect NVR to 4-port switch with one cable
3) Have one run from each port on the 4-port switch to each 8-port PoE switch (upto 4)

Plenty of bandwidth.

Lenses. Luckily being English I'm bi-lingual for feet and metres. But if you could put some numbers and rough field of view coloured lines on your picture then it would make it much easier :)

I would say a combination of mainly 2MP/3MP/3.6MP and a couple of new 4MP WDR ones covering the main areas will be fine. No need to spend crazy money that way.

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
Need some advice on the POE switch's for this setup. I went ahead and got the LTN8832 and 6 of the 4mp cameras from milkisbad, which by the way is a great guy to deal with. He helped me out with the order, cut the price on shipping and threw in a couple of goodies. I ordered this on last Friday and received it yesterday. I had thought about buying from ALI but The 3 year warranty and no firmware problems was a winner for me, plus I am not that savey with this as it is. Back to my switch problem, I have read other posts and don't understand the diff. between a managed POE switch and a unmanaged POE switch. I want to buy the one that would work the best for this type of setup. The cost of this is breaking my budget but I want to do it right the first time, even though I have received threats from the wife about not eating for awhile. Which switch would you recommend and would it make any difference on the type of the 4-port switch?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In some respects that's overkill in that you don't need gigabit ports for the camera, 'fast Ethernet 10/100' will be just fine, though it would be good to have a gigabit uplink to wherever the NVR is wired to.
But it will be a safe choice and work perfectly well.

ceb5

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

1) Have a 4-port switch next to the NVR
2) Connect NVR to 4-port switch with one cable
3) Have one run from each port on the 4-port switch to each 8-port PoE switch (upto 4)

Plenty of bandwidth.

Lenses. Luckily being English I'm bi-lingual for feet and metres. But if you could put some numbers and rough field of view coloured lines on your picture then it would make it much easier :)

I would say a combination of mainly 2MP/3MP/3.6MP and a couple of new 4MP WDR ones covering the main areas will be fine. No need to spend crazy money that way.
Would this 4 port switch need to be a gigabyte switch

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would this 4 port switch need to be a gigabyte switch
Ideally yes, and here's why.
You plan to have about 10, presumably 3MP, cameras feeding the NVR. That's around 5 - 8Mbps traffic per camera, so say 60Mbps total on the link to the NVR.
A 10/100 switch will handle that OK without impacting performance, but you won't have much room for expansion. And the assumption is that the switch will actually handle the full aggregate traffic from across all it's ports without imposing a limitation on throughput.
The feed from the other switches will be less as they are only handling some of the cameras.
And then you will have traffic going the other way when you're using Live View on the NVR.