Need advice on PTZ cams

Reaction score
It just seems that this forum is sort of focused on a single brand (Dahua). I may just try a couple other cams on my own, and will report back if I find something that works well enough for my purposes. I'm sure there are others who would benefit from that info.
You came here asking for help. It has been provided to you several times. Yet you keep saying this help is not enough. I linked a cam back in post #14, did you even look at it?

Sure, go ahead and buy the JideTech cam that you linked. Give us a review. It is an OEM from some manufacturer in China just like other brands. But it will be poorly constructed, have poor night performance, and the firmware will suck.

If you are so interested in getting a view of the driveway, use a separate varifocal or fixed focal cam and mount it outside.

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
What I asked for was suggestions of cameras that would fit my needs and budget, and if that wasn't quite attainable, what would be. What I got was initially a bunch of snark about not being in the ballpark on price, and no options.
Yes, I looked at that camera you linked. It's very nice, and probably exactly what I need for my primary camera, but sadly far outside my budget at the moment. I asked for some alternatives that might be cheaper, but maybe have not quite the performance of that one. I don't believe I received any options there.
I don't doubt that the JideTech is inferior to any flavor of Dahua cameras, but it's in my price range (stretched a bit), has all the features I'm looking for, and if it sucks, I can send it right back to Amazon for a full refund.
I truly wish there were other options, and I feel there probably are, I'm just not familiar enough with the thousands of chip, lens, and firmware combinations out there to wade through it all and pick one. That's what I was hoping the experts here would be able to do for me. I was honestly expecting a simple list of "These would be your best choices, but if they're out of your price range, you can drop down to these and sacrifice xxx, but have everything else". Something like that would be super helpful, and much easier to follow for someone like myself who is very technically adept, just not familiar with the world of security systems.

Reaction score
I don't believe I received any options there
This forum is not (knowingly) going to give you bad advice. If we would not use it, how can we in good faith recommend it? Sorry , but that is just how this forum operates. Personally, I do not know of any PTZ cams that have all you are looking for and in your price range. Now you could search the internet and find some Reloink, Swann, or other crap cam and buy it if you like. But no one here is going to recommend that.

Like @sebastiantombs stated in post #18, this is a board where folks know what they are talking about. We give recommendations, but we can't do all the research for you, especially if you are not going to listen.

Have you read the Cliff Notes? The WIKI? There is a shit load of info here and it is all FREE. No one gets paid to help you.

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I have read the entire Cliff notes and a good chunk of the wiki. I do my research, I'm not "that guy" who comes in asking a blind question that's been answered 3 times in the past week...if I can help it. :)
I have zero doubt that you guys know more about security cams than I ever will, I guess I'm just in the wrong place. I'm not looking for pro-level gear, or performance. I'm not stopping ISIS from invading my property. I have no active concerns about security in my area. I live in a very safe area, and own everything within sight of me. I'm just trying to increase my situational awareness a bit without spending a couple thousand bucks.
If I was able to stretch the budget enough to allow, how about the Dahua SD49225T-HN?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There are these but only 4X zoom and 2MP:

Good low light performance. Not rated as outdoor but I've had one of the earlier versions installed outside in a covered location where it still sees quite a bit of weather and mist for years now. Haven't looked to see if there may be a higher resolution version now.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I'm considering that one for my front and back porch locations.
I appreciate your comments about the environmental aspect, that's very helpful. I was wondering the same.
Someone had pointed me to a nice dome cam that is outdoor rated, but I understand domes have their own issues which this Loryta wouldn't have.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That is the same cam I linked in post #8.

The SD49225T-HN is a good cam but I thought it was way beyond your price. @djernie has one and really likes it. Others have them too. Do a search here to see what they say about it.
Ahhh... sorry. Reading too fast. They're good cams. Real happy with mine for what it is.

Reaction score
I'm not looking for pro-level gear
None of the cams we have talked about are 'pro level'. Maybe prosumer. You have to realize that for manufacturers to make money, certain cam characteristics cost more to make. PTZ are the most complex of the bunch and will always cost more than non-PTZ cams. It does not pay for them to make those cams below a certain price point. That is why even the JideTech crap is a few hundred dollars.

Reaction score
It is great and i did not pay full price as i bought it from Andy's refurbished list. Before i get any cam now i email Andy and ask him to send me a list of refurbished items, and i go through the list to see if there is a cam that fits my needs. I will be getting another PTZ or two more as they are so versatile and can zoom in so close. So i am convinced i need to get one for each corner of my house. Although my better half will roll her eyes at the idea.......

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
i bought one of these for a corner outside camera

NSC-2A4-PTZ 4MP Weatherproof Mini PTZ IP Security Camera 2.8-12mm

turned out to be a really good camera.

but then i decided i wanted a much more expensive camera for the back of my house:

4MP IP Weatherproof POE Powered Auto Tracking Mini PTZ Dome Security Camera | 25X 4.8-120mm Long Range Zoom Lens | Long Range 160' Infrared W/ Hidden Illuminators | NSC-4A425-PTZir

this is a really nice camera, but it was too much for my intended purpose. i cannot zoom out enough for what i want to do. it is a very good camera for zooming in and it normally points at my back gate and has a good picture.

so by the front door i have a mini dome camera it was nice but i wanted to replace it with a bit more camera. so i bought another NSC-2A4-PTZ.

the smaller ptz is a very good camera, doesnt require POE Plus, gives good lowlight performance and a good wide angle view if zoomed out. i paid less than 200 for this camera. they might be a bit more expensive now

Last edited:

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Have you had any issues with glare, fogging, etc.. with the dome cam?

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
if that was addressed to me, the mini ptzs are not domes (one replaced a dome). IR is outside of the 'dome'.

Reaction score
i bought one of these for a corner outside camera

NSC-2A4-PTZ 4MP Weatherproof Mini PTZ IP Security Camera 2.8-12mm

turned out to be a really good camera.

but then i decided i wanted a much more expensive camera for the back of my house:

4MP IP Weatherproof POE Powered Auto Tracking Mini PTZ Dome Security Camera | 25X 4.8-120mm Long Range Zoom Lens | Long Range 160' Infrared W/ Hidden Illuminators | NSC-4A425-PTZir

this is a really nice camera, but it was too much for my intended purpose. i cannot zoom out enough for what i want to do. it is a very good camera for zooming in and it normally points at my back gate and has a good picture.

so by the front door i have a mini dome camera it was nice but i wanted to replace it with a bit more camera. so i bought another NSC-2A4-PTZ.

the smaller ptz is a very good camera, doesnt require POE Plus, gives good lowlight performance and a good wide angle view if zoomed out. i paid less than 200 for this camera. they might be a bit more expensive now
Yes that is a nice PTZ, it has a small foot print which is a plus.

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
I like it, but I'm not wild about the "surround" IR lighting. Also, I watched some of the demo videos, and there appears to be quite a bit of glare and reflection off the dome. Have those of you who own this cam experienced any of that?
How well does the IR lighting work? It seems really weak, even in that small room they use in the first test video I watched.

Reaction score
I don't think there are many users on here with this PTZ, as it is in a dome and most shy away from dome type cameras. I have three other dome type ptz cameras but they are only 4x zoom which is not much at all. But i use them in areas that i don't need long range zoom. I have the SD49225T-HN for long range zoom and it is really good for what i need. I will be getting another SD49225T-HN or equivalent, PTZ because the price point is great and the performance is perfect for around my home.

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think there are many users on here with this PTZ
Possibly not, but tolnep at least has one or more of these, since he was the one to suggest it. I thought others may have a similar model.
You mention you have 3 other similar type cameras. Have you had issues with glare/reflections/etc?

Reaction score
I have three out front two are used as overview watching driveway and front of house. The model is sd22204ue-gn as i mentioned i do not use ir light on them as i have enough lighting in front of my home to run them in color. My sd49225t-hn is used to capture license plates at night so it is set to see nothing at night except for license plates.
SD49225t-hn
LPR.jpg
SD22204ue-gn
PTZ 2 sd22204ue-gn.jpg
SD22204ue-gn
PTZ sd22204ue-gn.jpg

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
to repeat. none of my cameras have any glare whatsoever. i did have a hikvision dome camera, not ptz, no variation in lens, just a simple outside dome. that camera had a small amount of glare. the small ptzs i have have really good low-light ability and switch to IR once everything is completely dark and good performance with the IR they put out.

the larger dome PTZ i have has no issues with glare, works really well at night and during the day. my only issue is it was overkill for what intended it for. i want to be able to zoom out and see my back yard. but i have small back yard and i cant zoom out enough. the camera also has a lot of capabilities i dont need, like follow the movement and scan n number of settings based on a schedule. it is much smaller than the big ptzs you see but its at least twice the size of a normal dome type camera. the expensive ptz would be perfect for the back of an office building where you wanted to monitor a parking lot behind the building. in fact there is a demo of it being used for that. i just dont have a big parking lot behind my building. what the more expensive ptz allows me to do is to zoom in tight to my back gate and capture a lot of detail about whatever comes in that gate or is out on the sidewalk just outside the gate.

Reaction score
to repeat. none of my cameras have any glare whatsoever. i did have a hikvision dome camera, not ptz, no variation in lens, just a simple outside dome. that camera had a small amount of glare. the small ptzs i have have really good low-light ability and switch to IR once everything is completely dark and good performance with the IR they put out.

the larger dome PTZ i have has no issues with glare, works really well at night and during the day. my only issue is it was overkill for what intended it for. i want to be able to zoom out and see my back yard. but i have small back yard and i cant zoom out enough. the camera also has a lot of capabilities i dont need, like follow the movement and scan n number of settings based on a schedule. it is much smaller than the big ptzs you see but its at least twice the size of a normal dome type camera. the expensive ptz would be perfect for the back of an office building where you wanted to monitor a parking lot behind the building. in fact there is a demo of it being used for that. i just dont have a big parking lot behind my building. what the more expensive ptz allows me to do is to zoom in tight to my back gate and capture a lot of detail about whatever comes in that gate or is out on the sidewalk just outside the gate.
Yeah my expensive PTZ SD49225t-hn which was only around 260 or so i can't remember, i bought it refurbished. I like it because of the 25x zoom so i can zoom in all over the front and side of my home when i need it. The other two do not have 25x zoom, so i will be getting at least two more 25x zoom in the future, as well as dedicated LPR cameras which will leave my expensive PTZ to zoom around at night. I looked at the model you have, for it's small footprint, (smaller than my sd49225t-hn) but i do not want to pay for that model as i can get what i need from the bigger footprint camera (sd49225t-hn), or similar.