need advice

Nothyme

n3wb
Reaction score
Was wondering if someone recommend a plug and play camera with wifi that is on constant record? Do not want to spend too much.

We have a small sailboat and need to keep an eye on it due to some recent vandalism last summer. I can plug a camera into an outside electric plug and see the boat. Wireless cameras that work on motion can not get close enough or they will be always on as the boat bobs in the water, ducks and water movement.

I will listen to any and all suggestions.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How far is the boat from where the camera will be placed?
How strong is the WiFi down there?
Are you wanting to keep the continuous recording videos locally on a NVR (or a PC running Blue Iris)?

Continuous recording is always the safest bet, but depending on your setup, you still might be able to additionally get some alerts based on advanced motion detection, even if the boat is bobbing around. I'm thinking Dahua camera's IVS "intrusion box" or Blue Iris "zone crossing" might be useful with some tweaking.

Nothyme

n3wb
Reaction score
The boat is about 75 feet from the house. The camera will be very close to the wifi and it is a good signal. It is a pond and not the ocean so wifi is good. NVR is probably what I would use.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The boat is about 75 feet from the house. The camera will be very close to the wifi and it is a good signal. It is a pond and not the ocean so wifi is good. NVR is probably what I would use.
Hi @Nothyme

I take it the camera will be mounted on the house, that is about 75 feet away from the boat.

That's a rather long distance for the more affordable / fixed lens camera models. ( aka - "don't want to spend too much" )

Can you place the camera closer?

If you can afford it, there are some nice Dahua OEM 2MP starlight PTZ which I would consider.