Need Advice

Dang

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping you avid IP camera guys can help this newb find his way with a project I want to do. The project is a mix between a tv talk/reality show. I want to film and archive the shows on the web. I want to set up cameras in the 'studio' which is actually a decent sized living/recreation room and film the show, cameras will be PTZ cams so I can remotely play camera operator. I'd like the video quality to be as good as possible, 1920x1080 would be best, if not possible in my price range then 720p. I don't think I will be able to mount these cameras permanently since it is somebody's home and the wife most likely won't go for it. I found this website that has these powerful suction cup type camera mounts. Besides the 3-5 cameras what other equipment will I need at the 'studio'?

I know I can't have broadcast TV quality but am willing to spend to get as high quality as possible - max per camera would be 1000-1500. Any advice on what to buy, setup, etc for this type of project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dang

n3wb
Reaction score
I see that these 'dome' style cameras that are meant to be mounted on the ceiling are the most common for PTZ cameras. Can I turn one of those over and sit it on a bookshelf and somehow invert the video so it isn't upside down?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can often flip the video with such cameras. Not always, however. Best to check the specs and/or manual for whatever camera you are looking at.

This one does let you flip the video: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/ip-ptz-s/dahua-sd42212sn-hn-2mp-mini-ptz-1080p-high-definition-ip-security-camera.html

Even if you get one that won't flip the video, your viewing software might do it.

In the end, however, these are security cameras so you won't likely get the best looking video. And you will want a different, much higher quality solution for audio.

Dang

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you can often flip the video with such cameras. Not always, however. Best to check the specs and/or manual for whatever camera you are looking at.

This one does let you flip the video: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/ip-ptz-s/dahua-sd42212sn-hn-2mp-mini-ptz-1080p-high-definition-ip-security-camera.html

Even if you get one that won't flip the video, your viewing software might do it.

In the end, however, these are security cameras so you won't likely get the best looking video. And you will want a different, much higher quality solution for audio.
Thanks for the info. About the audio, do some of these type of cameras have microphone jacks?

And the video quality, wouldn't these cameras have at least as good of quality video as a good Logitech webcam? I forget the name of the website, it's a site for gamers where they broadcast themselves while playing video games and I presume they are using a webcam and the video quality on some of them is quite good. Is there somewhere I can see samples of the video quality for these IP cams where they haven't been compressed much in the encoding process?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While foscam has cute pt cams, they don't do 1920x1080, zoom and focus (except a new model)
Operation interferes with the audio. And they're kind of frowned upon as a camera brand.

But, I guess one could shoot 720p remotely with some level of camera control on a tight budget that way ... but be ready to get frustrated with the quality (or lack thereof), firmware upgrades and motion control. I've got one I use as a pet cam and the remote pt is a pita.

Dang

n3wb
Reaction score
You can see many different Foscam IP Camera models ("Live") here at the same time. The demonstrations are using refreshed snapshot images from each IP Camera model. To avoid the need to download/install the normal IP Camera Interfaces. This also allows you to use the demonstrations from any Internet browser capable devices you choose, instantly. You can click on each IP Cameras image to see a higher quality image and if that IP Camera model supports PTZ ("Pan/Tilt/Zoom") control the IP Camera as well:

http://107.170.59.150/foscam/FoscamUS.htm

All of the Indoor IP Camera models have built in Microphones and Speakers and also jacks for external Microphones and Speakers are included for both Indoor and Outdoor IP Camera models.

Many of the flat based half-dome IP Cameras sold by some manufactures don't support PTZ controls and are fixed view. So please read the specifications for those types of IP Cameras just to be safe. Since your requirements include being able to change the IP Cameras view at will.

Don
Thanks for all the info.

Dang

n3wb
Reaction score
I spent hours looking at PTZ cams under 1000 dollars and video samples from them. I haven't seen the brand name Zavio mentioned here - the video quality of their 3-400 dollar cameras equalled the 1500 dollar cameras I looked at. ACTi's B96 for $899 looked good. I'll buy the cheap one probably and play around with it. The setup software on all the cameras looked intimidating since I know little about networking. When I was reading a section about PoE stuff, it mentioned you might need to call your ISP and get a username/password - um, what's that all about?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was reading a section about PoE stuff, it mentioned you might need to call your ISP and get a username/password - um, what's that all about?
What section is that? Link? PoE has nothing to do with anyone's ISP.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry about my post being a bit of a downer on Foscam, maybe I was a bit harsh, but certainly was not personal towards you, Don. You were specific in the limitations. Clearly you have more foscam experience than I do.

I have two FI9821W V2.
Firmware and software were several versions out of date. Took probably an hour to figure out how and in which sequence to update what, step by step incremental updates. Could easily be avoided.
Find the image quality average.
Can't delete the factory presets. Part of the preset interface does not work.
When I try to control the camera remotely, I need to very carefully do it step by step and wait, a few repeat clicks send it flying to extreme. Can't do four clicks left, four clicks down and expect the camera to respond accordingly. Even after stepping down the control speed.
Found the remote mobile app to be equally problematic where you need to drag to control.
With identical settings and two fresh 16GB cards, went on a trip, came home, one camera recorded for about a week. Other recorded 0. Verified settings. No dice.
Contacted support ... little on support, heavy on sales.
It you do a demo cam view at one of their locations ... auto subscribed to their several times a week "sales" promo emails.
So, I relegated the cams to just be petcams and moved on.

Interestingly, last night, after not having logged in for over a month or more, it said there was a new plugin. Using Firefox windows. Pan and tilt behaved as expected. Guess I may need to give them a second chance!

When it comes to video production, I am just not seeing a series of foscam pt cams do the trick, except maybe that newest model with zoom you mention. The regular 2.8 is very wide and you'd have to have them pretty close to the subjects for recording.

But, I guess on a budget with $1k you'd get 5 PT cams. Setup a computer or two. Tap into the live view. Control and record away.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@icerabbit, your assesment of Foscam was accurate. They make subpar cameras and their support is nonexistent. I would stay far away. There are WAY better options for the money including but not limited to Dahua and Hikvision. Honestly for op's project using regular video cameras with a remote PT mount might be best.

Dang

n3wb
Reaction score
Nobody has any opinion on Zavio cameras or the ACTi B9x ones?