Need camera options

Reaction score
I have a new outdoor aviary/sunroom addition we just built onto our house. I need to find 2-3 PT (zoom too would be nice) cameras to put out there so I can monitor my parrots during the day while I'm at work.

I currently have a Foscam PTZ camera in their bird room that I watch them with. However Foscam's (and now Amcrest too) inability to provide a way of accessing their camera via a MODERN browser is killing any chance that I will buy anything from them.

I've been browsing here a few days looking for something but have yet to come up with anything. I have a Costco, Microcenter and Frys nearby if that helps.

Considering an NVR solution although I've never done any recording before. My primary concern is PTz and being able to access the live feed offsite in a browser.

Reolink has my interest as well as AvertX (Costco) but I know nothing about these.

The cameras are not technically going to be outdoors. However the roof of the sunroom will drip and cause some high humidity. The cameras are going to be mounted under the roof soffit, no direct contact with weather at all.

Any help? I can answer more questions too.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi SR, welcome here

Humidity will be an issue - thus you will want to have imho an outdoor rated camera as well as install it very carefully.

Reolink is not well liked for numerous reasons here, one is quality of product.

Take a look at the Dahua OEM PTZ cameras here - look for a thread on it, and use that as the one to compare your options to.
( for low light conditions the starlight line is well liked )

Also note - browser issue is a multiple industry wide issue - as browsers close out older tech due to security holes ( aka features to some developers ), it is getting challenging for developers to keep up with the changes and keep the functionality in the shift.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So how are people getting to a live feed of their cameras? I see something called Blue Iris but that requires a $60 license to view multiple cameras. Some of the cheap cameras don't even cost that much.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So how are people getting to a live feed of their cameras? I see something called Blue Iris but that requires a $60 license to view multiple cameras. Some of the cheap cameras don't even cost that much.
I see that you're a newb and that's OK...we were all once newcomers to IP cams and I give you credit for coming here to ask questions and to learn. That being said, be prepared to hear the unpolished truth; truth tempered by personal experience both good and bad. It may not always be want you want or expect to hear but it will be experienced-based and not biased by a salesperson's agenda.

If you were to spend any length of time shopping for and using VMS software you'd come to realize that Blue Iris 4 is a world-class bargain, even at 3 times it's current selling price, mainly because it just plain works and is highly configurable. With BI, you can use those Foscams until you decide what to purchase. If you like remote access via smartphone you are going to be especially pleased. I have used apps from ALL the major players and the one that works is from Blue Iris. Motion works, e-mail works, texting works. Like any product it's not perfect but Ken, an amazing one-man developer, is constantly updating and fine-tuning it to keep it at the top of the heap. Can you imagine the uphill battle to keep a product compatible with hundreds of brands and models of camera and NVRs, all the while those same products are being constantly updated for feature and security reasons by their respective manufacturers?

No, I don't own stock in Blue Iris and Ken is of no relation. But I have installed 8 PC's at as 8 customer's houses and businesses that are connected to almost 60 cameras total and each one has done it's job 24/7 and everyone is pleased. Six of those 8 folks have the BI app on their iOs or Android phone and are tickled pink.

One thing you learn over time about installing PC's, network cables, switches, routers and modems....you buy the ones that are the best value which includes price, performance, stability and configurability. And Blue Iris is no exception, IMO...I keep using it because it has done everything I've ever asked it to do. To me, it's a no brainer. I can drop $30 on dinner for 2....so what's $60 when it comes to keeping an eye on your aviary?

Regarding 'cheap' cameras: you get what you pay for. Please heed @mat200 's advice regarding Dahua cams; you'll spend a tad more up front, but you'll be pleased over the long haul with their performance, especially in low light.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Taking the advice given:

It looks like I know who to order a Dahua from *wink* *wink*!

I found the thread recommending the SD59225U-HNI. Looks like it might be in my price range depending on what kind of deal is being offered. Is there a better option? I don't think I would use the auto-tracking. PTZ and IR and the ability to view the live feed offsite are my main parameters. Also I'm hanging these cameras, two at least under a soffit so I'm not sure the mount on the camera mentioned will work.

Any other Dahua cams I should focus on?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Taking the advice given:

It looks like I know who to order a Dahua from *wink* *wink*!

I found the thread recommending the SD59225U-HNI. Looks like it might be in my price range depending on what kind of deal is being offered. Is there a better option? I don't think I would use the auto-tracking. PTZ and IR and the ability to view the live feed offsite are my main parameters. Also I'm hanging these cameras, two at least under a soffit so I'm not sure the mount on the camera mentioned will work.

Any other Dahua cams I should focus on?
Hi SRSeed,

That looks like a great solid product.

For daytime lighting conditions I like the 4k / 8MP Dahua OEM cameras.
For low light conditions I like the 2MP Dahua Starlight cameras.

Please see #15 in my notes for Andy's info, let him know you are a member, as he gives a slight discount to those here as we're helping each other out here.
I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!