Need camera recommendation (details inside)

Reaction score
My HikVision failed again so looking for advice on a replacement cam. The first failed in 13mo (thanks to Wrightwood Surveillance for replacing it after warranty ran out), but the replacement failed just after 2years. I don't know if HikVision has quality problems or if had bad luck. I have a Nellys branded cam (Dahua, I think) that has been running for 5 years with no problems.

Here's the camera I'm looking to replace: HikVision - DS-2CD2532F-I(S). I'll be mounting it right next to the front door at eye level. Looking for dome style with PoE. I don't do any live monitoring so don't need PTZ. The HikVision has a built-in audio/mic which is nice. The old one has a 2.8MM lens, but I don't know how i picked that so maybe there's a better choice there. I attached a screen grab from the old camera before it died to give you a sense of the view.

So, anyone have a good camera/brand recommendation?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My HikVision failed again so looking for advice on a replacement cam. The first failed in 13mo (thanks to Wrightwood Surveillance for replacing it after warranty ran out), but the replacement failed just after 2years. I don't know if HikVision has quality problems or if had bad luck. I have a Nellys branded cam (Dahua, I think) that has been running for 5 years with no problems.

Here's the camera I'm looking to replace: HikVision - DS-2CD2532F-I(S). I'll be mounting it right next to the front door at eye level. Looking for dome style with PoE. I don't do any live monitoring so don't need PTZ. The HikVision has a built-in audio/mic which is nice. The old one has a 2.8MM lens, but I don't know how i picked that so maybe there's a better choice there. I attached a screen grab from the old camera before it died to give you a sense of the view.

So, anyone have a good camera/brand recommendation?
looks like you have it mounted upside down....how did the camera fail? did you properly weather proof the connections? its unlikely that two cameras at the same location will fail like that...more likely is improper installation...
as far as cams, look at the dahua starlight varifocal turret thread.

Reaction score
I can't remember how the first one failed. The current stops responding. The IR lights are on and if I reset the camera then it works for a while. It is mounted on the house with the cables going straight through the siding and down into my crawl space.

I thought I installed it right side up, but I guess not. Normally I flip the image and turn off the camera timestamp, but resetting the camera this time I forgot to disable the timestamp.

Thanks for the cam recommendation, I'll take a look.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't remember how the first one failed. The current stops responding. The IR lights are on and if I reset the camera then it works for a while. It is mounted on the house with the cables going straight through the siding and down into my crawl space.

I thought I installed it right side up, but I guess not. Normally I flip the image and turn off the camera timestamp, but resetting the camera this time I forgot to disable the timestamp.

Thanks for the cam recommendation, I'll take a look.
its most likely fine...your issue is more then likely poor cables or connections...did you make the cable yourself? if so did you use the 568 standard? remove the camera and test with a short premade cable.

Reaction score
Hmm, I did make the cable. Do you think a bad cable could allow it to work fine for a couple of days and then stop working? Repeat again and again.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, I did make the cable. Do you think a bad cable could allow it to work fine for a couple of days and then stop working? Repeat again and again.
Bad cables are known to have abnormal behavior. Worth a shot to test with a known good cable as fenderman suggested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If it turns out I need a new camera, any other recommendations? What focal length should I consider given the mounting spot and field of view?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If it turns out I need a new camera, any other recommendations? What focal length should I consider given the mounting spot and field of view?
get the varifocal...now you dont have to worry about the lens, and can set it exact to maximize clarity..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score