Need Camera Recommendation - Internal Storage, Browser Playback

John McCoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I could use some help in selecting a PoE IP camera for my application. I've done substantial Googling and manufacturer web site research and haven't been able to find a camera that quite meets all our requirements. Or maybe (probably) I'm such a noob that I just don't know the right terminology to look for.

We need to equip some geographically isolated buildings with security cameras. Each building is getting just one camera. Each site's only link to the outside world is a cellular connection, with a limited data cap, so having the camera upload video a remote server is pretty much out of the question. So I'm looking for a camera that could store the video internally or on an SD card inserted into the camera.

We'd want live or stored video to be viewable by pointing a web browser at the camera's IP address. The browser would be running on a computer also located at the remote site. I need to avoid the requirement to load a browser plug-in.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
John

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I could use some help in selecting a PoE IP camera for my application. I've done substantial Googling and manufacturer web site research and haven't been able to find a camera that quite meets all our requirements. Or maybe (probably) I'm such a noob that I just don't know the right terminology to look for.

We need to equip some geographically isolated buildings with security cameras. Each building is getting just one camera. Each site's only link to the outside world is a cellular connection, with a limited data cap, so having the camera upload video a remote server is pretty much out of the question. So I'm looking for a camera that could store the video internally or on an SD card inserted into the camera.

We'd want live or stored video to be viewable by pointing a web browser at the camera's IP address. The browser would be running on a computer also located at the remote site. I need to avoid the requirement to load a browser plug-in.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,
John
Welcome @John McCoy

note: If the cameras will be exposed to the internet, you'll need to find a way to protect them from attacks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No camera I'm aware of provides full functionality (especially video playback) to a browser without a browser plugin. For a browser that still supports the necessary plugins with a minimum of required effort, I recommend Pale Moon 32 bit.