Need camera recommendations for specific situation

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Just stumbled across the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12. Seems like it might be more "flexible" as a dedicated LPR than the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5. Price is not much different.
Z12 has far more "zoom" which has a (positive) impact on DORI distances, however it "narrows" the field of field.

To know what you need: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 go to your location and select the Z12 and Z5 from the list. You'll see the "cones" of the cams showing up, and you'll immediately see what suits you most. We can talk here for hours and days which is best, but without knowing your distance from the street / corners etc, we can't make any objective based suggestion.

Good luck!
CC

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that link. I never thought about simply getting a used cheap computer instead of a NVR. So I have read that there are "special" hard drives that are designed specifically for security systems I guess because they are constantly writing 24 hours a day. Would I need to purchase one of those to put in the computer? Also do you all just record 24 hours a day or do you set "trip wires" or motion zones to only record when activated?
Best configuration is a 240GB SSD for the system disk plus a 2TB or more WD Purple drive for video storage.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong on this camera calculator because it is showing the same PPF for both of those cameras. I even deleted the camera and entered a new one, and even started the project over. The distance is 70 feet (which is what I estimated earlier in here). At 70 feet HFoV is 23.2 degrees to cover both sides of the street to get license plates coming and going, and according to this calculator, both cameras will have 72 PPF at that distance. So I am assuming the higher magnification of the 5231E-Z12 isnt needed since the distance is 70 feet, or am I missing something? Also according to this calculator, the IR is rated for 150 feet on the 5231E-Z5.

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't grasp this earlier, but zoom is zoom. So until you exceed the optical zoom of the Z5, the picture should be equally clear on the Z12, and not any better. It isn't until you surpass the optical zoom of the Z5 and start digitally zooming where the Z12 would have higher PPF correct?

For example both of them can do a optical zoom of lets say 20x, so their clarity will be the same at 20x right?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So the Z12 has a focal length that is 5.3mm~64mm or 12x optical zoom

The Z5 focal length is 7mm-32mm or 5x optical zoom

At the same X zoom the FOV will be different on each. On the Z5 for example, 3X would be about 15.9mm where on the Z12 3X would be about 21mm
At 1X you should have a wider FOV on the Z5 than the Z12

For 70ft both should work, but might as well have the extra distance in reserve with the Z12

Fuggetabout digital zoom, it pixelates.

Reaction score
There's an older post here somewhere by user @nayr about an 'I/R cannon' illuminator. I'll see if I can find it. There's also a later post mentioning a different product. Search phrase for AliExpress is "IR Illuminator adjustable focus"

This appears to be the same product originally mentioned by nayr
FYI, I've ordered two of these for the back yard where the turret's IR just doesn't quite reach the areas of interest.
And they've finally arrived. They are MUCH smaller than anticipated. The focus adjustment is relatively smooth, once it frees up and you run it forward and back a bit. But they did not come with any kind of mounting bracket or power supply, although both of those are easily sourced.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, I'm the one who turned Nayr onto that particular IR illuminator. :)
Harder to find now, and price has gone up, but It rocks!

ps: Took me a while to figure out you pull the knob out to turn and adjust focus,
like a watch crown...

Reaction score
And they've finally arrived. They are MUCH smaller than anticipated. The focus adjustment is relatively smooth, once it frees up and you run it forward and back a bit. But they did not come with any kind of mounting bracket or power supply, although both of those are easily sourced.
Receivedthis bracket two days ago, and installed the illuminator beneath the eave near the downspout this afternoon.
The 'cannon' is supplying fill-in IR for the background area in the center top of the photo below.
Very interesting to see that it still lights up the top of the neighbor's fence in the distance.

vlcsnap-2019-03-17-20h09m39s600.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.