Need help buying IP cam

bandit1538

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and don't know much about IP cams and can use any help I can get. I'm one of three partners that is setting up a wireless internet business. We need to have a cam on our next repeater site because it's at a site that is open to the public and we are afraid of vandalism so one of the cams that we are looking at is this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50K2JZ7568
but I can't tell if it has zoom, it seems to have all of the other features that we need. We need to be able to control it remotely from our lap top.
Any advice on this one or another would be welcome as it is in the price range for our budget.
Pat

I forgot to add that this is a solar installation so power will be by POE.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and don't know much about IP cams and can use any help I can get. I'm one of three partners that is setting up a wireless internet business. We need to have a cam on our next repeater site because it's at a site that is open to the public and we are afraid of vandalism so one of the cams that we are looking at is this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50K2JZ7568
but I can't tell if it has zoom, it seems to have all of the other features that we need. We need to be able to control it remotely from our lap top.
Any advice on this one or another would be welcome as it is in the price range for our budget.
Pat
Not only does the camera not have zoom, but it does not pan or tilt remotely...this camera is adjusted once during intall...
If you are afraid of vandalism you should not be using a ptz camera...but rather a few fixed cameras such as this one so that the entire area is monitored 24/7...
I would not buy from an unknown seller- that is NOT being sold by newegg but rather by some third party direct from china seller...there are reliable sellers on ali express like cctv china..or you can buy from US sellers if you want a warranty or return capability.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A camera might help you determine who vandalized your stuff after the incident, assuming face is not covered. It could be a deterrent. It won't prevent anything. At first you will be checking it, then as nothing happens you will be checking it less and less. And what can you do if you see someone on camera taking a baseball bat to your setup? Drive down there? Call the cops? They will be long gone.

It might be good to have if your system has issues.

I would consult a security professional, there may be other things you want to do, motion sensors, shock sensors, night lighting.

As far as cameras go, you may want ones with built in SD memory card recording + microphone. This one has neither.

bandit1538

n3wb
Reaction score
The site is powered by solar so lighting is out as it would draw the battery down and shut down down the repeater also we are just starting up so at present we have a tight budget, however I think I may have found one that might work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sricam-Wireless-Wifi-PTZ-5X-Optical-Zoom-IR-Cut-H-264-P2P-Dome-IP-Camera-SC/251793901979?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131231084308&meid=0615bca2388b4f7c83d59e674e79634c&pid=100010&rk=3&rkt=24&mehot=pp&sd=151380705327

However this one is from China so not worth the trouble to ship it back if it goes South but if it can get us through until we can afford something better in the future it may be the one we will have to go with with our budget.
Pat

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the budget is tight, stick with the Hikvision line. They have higher resolution that that PTZ, and they don't draw much power, about 4 W.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2340-Hikvision-2032-Power-Draw - discussion on solar and battery sizing

Try to find them on Amazon and stay away from the Chinese region units, get the international ones. It's a bit tricker to find, but they are there.

At night, they are useless in total darkness.

If it was me, I'd look into PIR sensors, tied to the camera's alarm input. Have it send you an email when it goes off. The HIKs can do this easily. Not sure about that ebay camera.