Need help choosing right dahua NVR

nl635

n3wb
Nov 23, 2021
Slovakia
Hi, I am choosing an NVR for the new house. It will be in a rack, and I plan to have 12 pieces of 2-4mpx cameras.

Now I am a little bit confused about which model to choose:

• NVR4216-4KS3 for 194€
  • NVR4216-EI for 202€
  • NVR5216-EI for 401€
I am looking at the datasheets and the only real-world difference is the number of SMD Plus channels (which doesn't really matter as all the cameras can do it by themselves), and the NVR5216-EI adds face recognition. Is there something more to consider? Based on that, I should be fine even with the cheaper NVR4216-EI.

Reactions: mat200
the main difference between 4xxx-EI and 5xxx-EI is:
  • max incoming bandwidth from cams: 256 vs 420 (some spec say 380) mbit/s
  • max decoding capability (how many cams You can display over HDMI at once): 8 cams at 4Mpx@30Hz vs 16 cams at 4Mpx@30 (with AI disabled),
  • 2x more AI capability done on NVR (but this is important only when cams are not AI),
  • AcuPick 2.0

4ks are old line, not worth buying...

ps. if cams are from Dahua low lines (2xxx, 3xxx) and have QuickPick then NVR4xxx-ei have more sense (it supports QuickPick)..
but if you want to buy mostly 5xxx cams (especially gold standard 5442), then NVR should be also from 5xxx line - it will supports all fancy features from 5xxx cams..

I don't know which cameras I will use yet. For now, I got 4 pieces of 2441 while the house is still under construction (I got them for a good price, 1/3 cheaper than 2241). I will add some more in the following months.

But from what I can see, the 2xxx line doesn't support both QuickPick and AcuPick, and the 5xxx line cameras support AcuPick but won't support QuickPick.

So QuickPick now looks like obsolete technology used only in some 3xxx line cameras, which I will probably never have.

Reactions: bigredfish
Yes

And if possible buy cameras (like the current champ 5442 series) that can do the AI on onboard. When you enable AI by recorder, you lose about 40% of your bandwidth capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDreaming and MTL4
But from what I can see, the 2xxx line doesn't support both QuickPick and AcuPick, and the 5xxx line cameras support AcuPick but won't support QuickPick.

So QuickPick now looks like obsolete technology used only in some 3xxx line cameras, which I will probably never have.

Yes, QuickPick is obsolete... Latest generation of 3xxx-s5 supports AcuPick...

So I got it working, but I am little bit confused about IVS and SMD detection.

1. IVS by camera is working perfectly for me. I have done the rules, objects are perfectly recognized and I am getting notifications on DMSS as I should. I can even see IVS events on the "search timeline"

2. SMD doesnt work at all. I cannot see cars/humans marked in live view, I cannot see them on timeline. Only place I can see them is under "AI search"

Any ideas what could be wrong? I am attaching screenshots of all the settings I have done.

Attachments

• smd not working at all .png
    smd not working at all .png
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IVS working great on camera 3.png
    IVS working great on camera 3.png
    366.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ivs working great camera 1.png
    ivs working great camera 1.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IVS on timeline.png
    IVS on timeline.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 12
  • perfectly fine working IVS.png
    perfectly fine working IVS.png
    970.6 KB · Views: 14
  • smd not working at all, nothing is marked.png
    smd not working at all, nothing is marked.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: mat200
I dont advise running SMD AND IVS both on the camera simultaneously. If you have an AI recorder, you may have better luck running one on the camera and the other on the recorder. @steve1225 may have better insight, but for me it created tearing on some videos

make sure your recorder is recording all chosen events
02.jpg 02-b.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

That should be OK. And I am trying to run SMD and IVS on different cameras...(IVS for 1 and 3, SMD for 2 and 4).

Is it possible that this is some kind of bug?

Attachments

• shedule.png
    shedule.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 12
I am sorry to bother you again, but I have one more question to ask: Is there any way to increase the fan speed? My HDD is running hot, around 52-55°C. However, the fan is still spinning nearly silently, at about 20% of its maximum RPM.

I am using a data-center HDD (HGST HC320 8TB) that I had left from my home server upgrade. This particular model generates much more heat than a typical SkyHawk-like HDD.

Or maybe I could change the stock fan to the 18k RPM Foxconn PIA040H12P, which I have available.

1. I don't remember any settings in NVR to change fan speed to full..

2. it is not good to use DC HDD in NVRs.. they generate a lot of heat and vibrations... small (1-2 HDD) NVR's are not designed for them...

3. You can open NVR and check how many pins fan connectors have. if 3, they are voltage controlled and even if You put 18k RPM one it will work at around 20% (or even less) of max RPM. if 4, then this is PWM controlled - if you isolate last connection called PWM (usually blue one), the actual fan will work at 100% non stop...

4. the problem with small NVR's is that the fan is located on side near to back and is mostly designed to cool the motherboard with SOC (CPU). There is not air ducts any type inside those NVR's - so most air don't go around disk (open NVR and You will see that).

You can simply put (glue) some plastic next to mother board from inlet (opposite to fan outlet) side to move more air from inlets to parts where HDD's are located. This will also increase a few degree temperature of SOC, so NVR will increase speed of fan... Don't block air from other sides of mother board.

1. It was available in the older models :( They removed it, I guess.
  2. Yeah, I know, but I would have to sell it cheaply and buy a new one. I would only get a 4TB SkyHawk for the price I can sell this 8TB. So, you know, I want to avoid that.
  3. The Panasonic would push more air even on low speed than the stock fan on full throttle :D At 18k RPM, it was blowing my screwdrivers away from the table. But the stock fan in the NVR is a 4-pin one, so I will try disconnecting the PWM. That should do the job.

Anyway, thank you very much. With the knowledge you can gather on this forum in a few minutes, you know a lot more than people who install camera systems for a living for thousands of euros per building...

1. It was available in the older models :( They removed it, I guess.
  2. Yeah, I know, but I would have to sell it cheaply and buy a new one. I would only get a 4TB SkyHawk for the price I can sell this 8TB. So, you know, I want to avoid that.
  3. The Panasonic would push more air even on low speed than the stock fan on full throttle :D At 18k RPM, it was blowing my screwdrivers away from the table. But the stock fan in the NVR is a 4-pin one, so I will try disconnecting the PWM. That should do the job.

Anyway, thank you very much. With the knowledge you can gather on this forum in a few minutes, you know a lot more than people who install camera systems for a living for thousands of euros per building...

I have seen hacks where people added a larger pc fan and funnel to blow more air into the case .. other option is additional heat sink on hdd

Reactions: JDreaming