Need help choosing the right switch

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good switch for my cameras. I'm fine with used on Ebay but I've learned I don't know what I'm doing. I purchased a 12 port Brocade ICX 6430 just to test the waters and after messing with it for the past hour, I've decided that I'll never even figure out how to enable POE on the darn thing, much less anything else. Now I'm in a pickle because I have more camera's coming and not enough ports on my little baby 5 port switch I bought to get by until I received this 12 port switch I can't use.

Most of the switches of any size I'm seeing that would fit the bill on Ebay seem to be managed switches, and I'm starting to think I'm just not smart enough to use one of them.

Any good recommendations for a good, minimum 12 port switch? Obviously it has to be POE, preferable with some POE+ ports as I"m sure I'll end up with a PTZ or two.

All recommendations will be appreciated very much!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Normally resetting it back to factory defaults should reset everything to the point that it will behave like a normal intelligent switch, have you tried this?

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem is that apparently brocade switches have POE disabled by default. You have to log in and set it up to enable Poe on the ports you want. Documentation found online references a cable you need to use, which goes into an rj 45 Jack but I'm not sure if it's a standard patch cable or something different. Even if I get that, all documentation I've found seems to assume I know how to connect to the switch to assign it an IP to even get started. I don't. Plus I guess I didn't read enough but there are only 4 ports labeled for POE. I'm not sure if that's only 4 POE+ ports or only 4 total for POE

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I prefer to use inexpensive BV-Tech 9 port POE+ (dumb) switches. Chain them together and should 1 have an issue then it doesn't take down the whole system. I currently have near 30 POE and POE+ cameras on them and lots of non poe equipment.
Just my 2cents.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Might take a look at this thread if you haven't seen it. Some good information there. I'd guess that most applies to your model.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I second this switch, i have the GS316PP variant of it which has 183w power supply. Running without issue cool and quiet for ages now. Just plugged one port into my managed switch which has that port configured for my "camera" vlan and bam. Job's a goodun

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I second this switch, i have the GS316PP variant of it which has 183w power supply. Running without issue cool and quiet for ages now. Just plugged one port into my managed switch which has that port configured for my "camera" vlan and bam. Job's a goodun
I agree. I have two of the GS108PP's and they just keep going and going and going. No noise at all. Love them.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was going to mention Netgear and it looks like you have one on the way.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I appreciate that. I wasn't planning on fully replacing it. I think only 4 ports are POE so I'll probably try to learn how to set it up when time allows and incorporate it into my system somewhere, somehow. I'm not sure how many cam's I'll end up with, but it may just end up being a lot eventually so it will still benefit me to move my non POE devices to a non POE port on a switch and save switch real estate

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 10 reolink camera that use IEEE 802.3af, 48V Active with DC 12.0V⎓1A, <12W will this Netgear FS728TP PoE Gigabit Switch SFP switch be good enough

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 10 reolink camera that use IEEE 802.3af, 48V Active with DC 12.0V⎓1A, <12W will this Netgear FS728TP PoE Gigabit Switch SFP switch be good enough
Just keep in mind that this switch has a fan or two and is VERY loud. You will not be able to sit comfortably in the same room.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you're going to VLAN through the switch, I can't see the point in going active. Keep it simple. A dumb switch is all that's necessary unless you need the additional features of a managed switch.

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feedback , I have mod switches in the past from NETGEAR to have well this say different cooling arrangement

Last edited: