Need help finding an NVR for a bunch of Hikvisions

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for some suggestions for a dedicated NVR, but I'm not sure what would be a good model.
I have some older Hikvision 2CD2442 cube cameras currently running that I would like to record and possibly add more cameras or buy an NVR that includes cameras. I was using a QNAP NAS with the Surveillance Station app to record them, but the QNAP died, so I'm left with a number of functional cameras and no recorder. I don't want to use Blue Iris because I would rather have a conventional NVR and I have drives I can use.
Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was using a QNAP NAS with the Surveillance Station app to record them
By any chance was it an x53 / x51 model?
If so - the specific Intel CPU has an electromigration problem that degrades a system clock and there is a get-you-home fix to recover your data and extend the NAS life.

I'm left with a number of functional cameras and no recorder.
For that range of cameras, depending on the number of channels you need, Hikvision's K2 series should work OK, allowing the use of 4MP and h.265
For example DS7608NI-K2 or DS7616NI-K2 and maybe you don't need PoE if you're already using a PoE switch.
Depending on your location - you may find some used models at decent prices on eBay.
The DS76xxNI-I series is probably overkill, unless you're going to add any UHD (4K) cameras.

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By any chance was it an x53 / x51 model?
If so - the specific Intel CPU has an electromigration problem that degrades a system clock and there is a get-you-home fix to recover your data and extend the NAS life.
Thank you alastairstevenson
The QNAP is a X251+. I believe the BIOS failed to update. The LEDs light up, but the unit will not post. I followed this guide on the QNAP forums and tried using my Raspberry PI's GPIO port connected to the 251's JSPI1 port, but the BIOS fails to verify after erasing. That's where I'm stuck. I would love to recover the 251 and use it for something else, so I'm still going to get an NVR.

On the NVR, I'm looking for no more than eight channels. One concern I do have is future usability of Hikvision products here in the US, such as with Apple removing the Hikvision app off their app store. What are your thoughts on that?

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd go with an "I" series all day long. The cost difference over a K model is not that much.