Need help for a 60 camera install

Reaction score
Forgive me, i'm new to IP cameras. I work in IT, so am comfortable with most tech, but I don't have much experience with camera systems. My experience is some UniFi cameras (gen 1 through gen 3) in random spots because we needed something cheap, and an analog system installed by Tyco Integrated Security that requires IE in compatibility mode to use the web interface, and their software to view multiple DVRs at once doesn't support Windows 8+.

I have been tasked with finding a system to handle around 60 cameras that will be installed in a new building currently under construction. After doing research, it looks like a Dhaua or Hikvision NVR might be right for me. I also read on an old post on here that I should split the camera's into several NVR systems. The goal is to be able to look at all 60 cameras at once for when we have events (our security guy will do this), as well as record motion triggered events in 1080p. Also the web access needs to support Mac, and something other than Internet Explorer. Something simple to operate and use for the security guy would be helpful as well. I can figure out the configuration of whatever we go with.

I guess my question boils down to would Dhaua or Hikvision be a better user experience? Which would be the better company to go with?

I like the fact that Dhaua has a lot more technical specs on their website, but there are more videos displaying the local and web interface of Hikvision on youtube. Also quickly googling part numbers and Hikvision seems to be available in more places.

I am going to use some PoE switches to connect to the cameras, so having ports on the NVR isn't required.

Thanks,
Tyler

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua has better mac support, and its NVR's will cluster so to the remote software it will look like one big giant NVR.. Works fine in Safari but be warned both Chrome and Firefox have or will soon kill plugin support so dont expect them to work with anything.

personally I would run 4x 16ch NVR's with 15 on each one.. and put a pair of 6TB disks in em and set em up to record 24/7.. it'll be leaps and bounds better than UniFi

Reaction score
Thanks, having the ability to cluster might be nice. I was thinking either using a PC to cluster the units, or connect TV's to each NVR. Would I be able to login and manage via the web if the plugin dies? The problem I have with the Tyco units we have is I can't even login without the Active X plugin to change an IP address or anything. Why can't anyone make a unit with a modern HTML5 interface?

I saw on another thread you have a Dahua nvr. Do you have any complaints or annoyances with it?

Thanks,
Tyler

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The plugin is only required to view the video feeds, I configure the cameras and nvr all the time from chrome if I am not needing the feed.. but somethings require it, like moving OSD's, setting up LineCross, etc.. but you can do all that stuff via SmartPSS app too w/out a browser..

HTML5 does not support RTSP which is the defacto standard for Video Recorders, so making an html5 interface means you have to encode and present the video in a way that only browsers will understand.. and these little embeded computers simply do not have that kind of resources.. changing the entire industry off RTSP just to support modern browsers is not going to happen.. What we need is them to add RTSP support to browsers HTML5 capabilities (Google/Microsoft/Mozilla) and then no plugin will be needed..

My only complaint w/my NVR is to setup IVS features I have to use a monitor plugged in directly, as the WebUI is missing the options.. but that was supposedly fixed in a later firmware version, but I have no desire to risk bricking my NVR just too avoid this inconvenience.. so i suppose I dont really have anything to complain about.

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.

I didn't realize RTSP was defacto. That would be magical to get that in the HTML5 spec.

You've been a big help, thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a large commercial install, ff you have the budget consider something like Avigilon or exacq....