Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That makes total sense now. I guess I got lucky when I was bench testing it pulling the plug. I'll read your link.

Just researched back up UPS supplies. So many negative experiences on Amazon. I'm afraid to order the wrong one. Is there a brand that is more reliable then others? Will just put the Dell computer on it. I don't care if the cameras, switch, router and cable modem go down on a power failure. Just want windows 10 to gracefully shutdown and then back on when power is restored.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes total sense now. I guess I got lucky when I was bench testing it pulling the plug. I'll read your link.

Just researched back up UPS supplies. So many negative experiences on Amazon. I'm afraid to order the wrong one. Is there a brand that is more reliable then others? Will just put the Dell computer on it. I don't care if the cameras, switch, router and cable modem go down on a power failure. Just want windows 10 to gracefully shutdown and then back on when power is restored.
I have never seen this happen and most of my BI pc's are not on a ups...likely something else is the cause...
You cannot have the ups shut the pc, because if it does it will not power back on after...
since your pc is in a remote location I would have at least two ways of accessing it in the future...you already have vpn setup so enable windows remote desktop on the pc....or look at the many other free options..
if you choose to get a ups anyway you need to get something like this that supports active pfc power supplies... https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1000PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N192?ie=UTF8&keywords=pure sinewave ups&portal-device-attributes=desktop&qid=1497055768&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
just dont allow it to shut down the pc...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I stand corrected, once upon a time this would work. Just tried it on my optiplex, and no go.

I have had files corrupted from power cuts.

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a VPN and have access to my remote router and cameras, but is there anyway I can get Team viewer app opened remotely? Or another way to log into my Windows 10 computer remotely knowing it's IP address and the VPN?
You need to set up remote desktop next time you get there. Works well. I have been using it for years for a similar vacation home system.

Last edited:

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Generally that would only happen if its being written...also modern quality ssd's have small capacitors in there to complete the write...
Maybe I am ignorant, but I thought that one would want to avoid SSDs for surveillance systems because they tend to write too often at the same place and wear down the SSDs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I am ignorant, but I thought that one would want to avoid SSDs for surveillance systems because they tend to write too often at the same place and wear down the SSDs?
It is recommended for the OS and blue iris...
You can store to an hdd... also depending on how much you record an ssd could easily last 5 years or more... its just costs too much

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have never seen this happen and most of my BI pc's are not on a ups...likely something else is the cause...
You cannot have the ups shut the pc, because if it does it will not power back on after...
since your pc is in a remote location I would have at least two ways of accessing it in the future...you already have vpn setup so enable windows remote desktop on the pc....or look at the many other free options..
if you choose to get a ups anyway you need to get something like this that supports active pfc power supplies... https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1000PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N192?ie=UTF8&keywords=pure sinewave ups&portal-device-attributes=desktop&qid=1497055768&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
just dont allow it to shut down the pc...
@CaliGirl
I recall now how I overcame this on a couple of remote systems.
A small power supply, two of these ELK-960 Delay Timer Module , wired in this manner:
delayed relays.png

And some very minor hacking on the computer to connect the relay to the computer switch.

Power goes out, UPS runs computer for the time you want. UPS shuts down computer.
Power comes back on, first relay is set to delay for 15 minutes, this is to allow that hopefully the power is stable. After 15 minutes, left relay triggers, and starts the timer on the 2nd one. The second timer engages for one second, and turns on the computer like the power button was pushed.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@CaliGirl
I recall now how I overcame this on a couple of remote systems.
A small power supply, two of these ELK-960 Delay Timer Module , wired in this manner:
View attachment 19139

And some very minor hacking on the computer to connect the relay to the computer switch.

Power goes out, UPS runs computer for the time you want. UPS shuts down computer.
Power comes back on, first relay is set to delay for 15 minutes, this is to allow that hopefully the power is stable. After 15 minutes, left relay triggers, and starts the timer on the 2nd one. The second timer engages for one second, and turns on the computer like the power button was pushed.
Most computers can be set to automatically power on after the loss and restoration of power in the bios.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But that still doesn't work when connected to a UPS. Because the UPS never drops power to the pc, unless the battery is depleted.
True, but if you don't have the UPS connected to the pc for a safe shutdown you should only loose power if the UPS is depleted.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Looney, reading about your idea tonight.

On another point, I can not recommend wifi WeMo and TPLink switches. I have 3 for power cycling the cameras, Dell computer and another device. After the recent power failure, not one of those came back online, now I am unable to control them remotely. How hard is it to design a device that reconnects to wifi after a power loss?? Oh and the Nest Thermostat dropped off line as well. I guarantee you all I need to do is unplug and re plug the devices to get them back online but unable to do so remotely :(

None of these devices can consistently recover from a power failure and reconnect on their own so plan accordingly:

TP-Link Smart Plug, No Hub Required, Wi-Fi, Control your Devices from Anywhere, Works with Alexa (HS100) - - Amazon.com

TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch, No Hub Required, Single Pole, Control Your Fixtures From Anywhere, Works with Alexa (HS200) - - Amazon.com

Wemo Smart Plug, Wi-Fi Enabled (Certified Refurbished) - - Amazon.com

Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation, Stainless Steel, Works with Amazon Alexa - - Amazon.com

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if ur power loss was a simple & slow on/off cycle.
If per drops (after a drop&return) during the per up recovery, maybe devices are less graceful in how they cope.
A simple per cycle is one thing. Multiple on/off cycles in a short period is another.
Just a thought.
Fastb

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Looney, reading about your idea tonight.

On another point, I can not recommend wifi WeMo and TPLink switches. I have 3 for power cycling the cameras, Dell computer and another device. After the recent power failure, not one of those came back online, now I am unable to control them remotely. How hard is it to design a device that reconnects to wifi after a power loss?? Oh and the Nest Thermostat dropped off line as well. I guarantee you all I need to do is unplug and re plug the devices to get them back online but unable to do so remotely :(

None of these devices can consistently recover from a power failure and reconnect on their own so plan accordingly:

TP-Link Smart Plug, No Hub Required, Wi-Fi, Control your Devices from Anywhere, Works with Alexa (HS100) - - Amazon.com

TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch, No Hub Required, Single Pole, Control Your Fixtures From Anywhere, Works with Alexa (HS200) - - Amazon.com

Wemo Smart Plug, Wi-Fi Enabled (Certified Refurbished) - - Amazon.com

Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation, Stainless Steel, Works with Amazon Alexa - - Amazon.com
Wow, pitiful. I feel your pain. The Nest is really pathetic as long as it has been on the market.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder if ur power loss was a simple & slow on/off cycle.
If per drops (after a drop&return) during the per up recovery, maybe devices are less graceful in how they cope.
A simple per cycle is one thing. Multiple on/off cycles in a short period is another.
Just a thought.
Fastb
It was off for about 2-3 mins and back on for 5mins about 3 times. Then stable there after. What is the difference? Wish I could put each device on a UPS but that pretty much defeats the purpose of wifi. Can't they just look for the wifi signal every hour or something once it is restored and reconnect themselves?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was off for about 2-3 mins and back on for 5mins about 3 times. Then stable there after. What is the difference? Wish I could put each device on a UPS but that pretty much defeats the purpose of wifi. Can't they just look for the wifi signal every hour or something once it is restored and reconnect themselves?
Having the router on a UPS "might" help alleviate this. My thinking is, the clients actually come back up quicker than the router does, and they don't find the signal when they come online. Then again, I could be all wet. I believe you've mentioned this before, but rebooting the router doesn't bring them back online?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On another note, the ASUS WIFI router has been excellent and recovers well from power failures. As well as the Dahua switch and all Dahua cameras. My VPN that @nayr helped me setup has stayed intact and has been invaluable. It now allows me to log into each camera and adjust settings. I just can't get to the Dell BI software to adjust motion detect settings etc. with Teamviewer down. Reading about alternate remote log in options or stick with Team viewer but have it run via start up delayer so that the app opens once the computer is back up and stable.

My friend has a backup generator at his house. It was around $1,500 installed. We have a natural gas line it can run off of, I just don't know how reliable they are and where we have room to install one and vent it properly and protected from the ice and snow. But this would probably prevent tons of issues and keep everything running and heat going in the winter. Don't want to spend that much $ right now bc it will prob cost twice as much to install given our location but def an option down the road.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya, I can remotely log into Asus router and turn off the wifi radio signal and back up and that doesn't wake up wifi devices that should connect. Weird.

Ahh that would make sense @looney2ns ! The nest and wifi plugs might boot right back up while Asus takes a bit and while waiting they give up. That is what I need to know more about. How does a wifi remote switch and the the nest operate. Do they look for a signal in x amount of time and if no signal give up, or are they supposed to retry every few hours? Bc they certainly have power and a strong wifi signal at this point. Unfortunately I have google searched this topic and have not found technical info. I even called nest and the guy didn't know and said you just need to touch the nest and tell it to reconnect. I was like, hello, I just told you I am 4 hrs away.

I can easily get the Asus router on a UPS with the Dell.

I have a manual timer that power cycles the Asus router and camera switch once a week. So that if they every get locked up or need a reboot, there is something physical there to get it going. That is what the Nest needs and the wifi plugs but unfortunately I cant get physical timer on each one of those.

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to the Asus router page many devices ARE in fact connected and talking to router but the iOS apps aren't able to find them. So the disconnect may be in the cloud platform or something else?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, I can remotely log into Asus router and turn off the wifi radio signal and back up and that doesn't wake up wifi devices that should connect. Weird.

Ahh that would make sense @looney2ns ! The nest and wifi plugs might boot right back up while Asus takes a bit and while waiting they give up. That is what I need to know more about. How does a wifi remote switch and the the nest operate. Do they look for a signal in x amount of time and if no signal give up, or are they supposed to retry every few hours? Bc they certainly have power and a strong wifi signal at this point. Unfortunately I have google searched this topic and have not found technical info. I even called nest and the guy didn't know and said you just need to touch the nest and tell it to reconnect. I was like, hello, I just told you I am 4 hrs away.

I can easily get the Asus router on a UPS with the Dell.

I have a manual timer that power cycles the Asus router and camera switch once a week. So that if they every get locked up or need a reboot, there is something physical there to get it going. That is what the Nest needs and the wifi plugs but unfortunately I cant get physical timer on each one of those.
Have you tried actually rebooting the router when these go offline? You can do that within the router interface or the Asus phone app.