Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the IR lights the plastics up on the dome and that makes them more attractive to spiders/bugs, the eyeball is just as bad with those LED's.. the turret with its single high power LED tends to throw the light out and away from the camera, instead of reflecting light off the face of the camera.. consider a cheap modern flashlight with a surface mount LED (little square) that is very directional compared to an old bulb flashlight that threw light in all directions and was reflected out the end..

underwater your best off with something like a gopro on a stick.. i seen people tour there aquarium and ponds with em... ive been toying with the idea of putting a little board camera inside my fishtank encased in epoxy and hidden in a rock or something.. would be a trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a turret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
GREAT FIND at $521! I had just purchased one on Adorama for $576. Will cancel and re-order this one. Very happy to see two USA stores selling these and at similar prices to Chinese stores.

Ordered the 4221C's from Alliexpress and the NVR from Adorama.com

The NVR is backordered a month at Adorama even though they don't mention that online. http://www.adorama.com/dhinv42088p4.html

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hope you got one of the two Newegg had. They're now out of stock.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CaliGirl, I’m going to mention some of the things I’ve done at our vacation home in the areas of remote access/control and home automation that you might want to look into as future projects.

Home automation:

• At our vacation home I have a VeraLite controller, at our main home I have a SmartThings V2 hub. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages, and either one would work.
  • Z-wave door and window sensors let me build a poor man’s alarm system. I get immediate push notification if a door or window is opened while we are away.
  • Z-wave garage door opener. I can open or close the garage remotely, and can have the home automation system alert me if the door is opened unexpectedly, or if the door is left open. It also allows me to remotely provide entry access to someone without having to give them a key or a combo, once I’ve verified their presence and identity with my security cameras.
  • Z-wave water valve. We can remotely open and close the main water supply line. The home automation system turns on the water when we arrive, and turns it off as we prepare to leave.
  • Z-wave leak detectors. Detects moisture so I can have the water valve shut off the main in the event of a leak.
  • Z-wave smoke/CO detector. This is one thing I hope I never find out how well it works, but if smoke or carbon monoxide is detected, my home automation server will push notify me immediately.
  • Z-wave light switches. I have various lights and ceiling fans that are remote controllable.
  • Thermostat - One of the first things I installed was a Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat. It gives me the ability to control the settings of the thermostat remotely, and I get notifications from the Honeywell cloud server if communication between the server and the thermostat are lost, or if the temperature in the house is above or below thresholds I’ve specified. There have actually been two occasions where issues with a frozen/blocked vent caused the furnace to shut down, and the Honeywell server notified me that the temperature was falling below threshold. It very likely saved me from frozen/burst pipes.
    It’s nice to be able to remotely set the thermostat back to 55 if we or a guest forgets to set it back when leaving, and to be able to turn the heat up as we are driving up so that we walk into a warm house when we get there.
    A Z-wave thermostat would let me integrate temperature control in with the home automation system, but so far I’ve chosen to stay with the Wi-Fi thermostat rather than replace it.
  • 240V Z-wave contactor - I have the heat tape on the roof connected to a contactor so that I can turn it on and off remotely. The first winter after we bought the house I turned the heat tape on and left it on 24/7, until I got my first $200+ electric bill. Now I choose when I want to have it running, whether I’m at the house or not. I’m thinking about adding a second contactor and using it to turn on/off the water heater. There isn’t a whole lot of reason to be keeping 50gl of water hot when no one is there.
  • 120V Z-wave power switches. I have various devices that I want to remotely power off/on plugged into these. One thing I have plugged into one is my Blue Iris server. As a last resort I can do a hard power cycle of the BI server, which is set to automatically power on/boot after power is restored to it. If I ever get a camera that needs its own power injector, I’ll plug the injector into a Z-wave switch so that I could remotely power cycle the camera.
Remote access/control:

• A wireless router running DD-WRT. There are other options out there, but I’m running a TP-Link router that I’ve loaded DD-WRT firmware on. It gives me lots of features that I’m making use of, including dynamic DNS, OpenVPN, the ability to send a Wake on LAN to my BI server if someone accidentally shuts it down on me, and a guest network with internet access, but no access to the systems and cameras on the LAN.
  • TeamViewer. I have TeamViewer (with two factor authentication) running on my BI server. It works very well. It sounds like you have decided on an NVR instead of BI, but if you have a PC or Mac at a remote location that you want to be able to control, TeamViewer does a great job.
  • Managed POE switch. Managed POE switches are more expensive, but can often be found used on ebay for a pretty reasonable price. I bought a Cisco SRW208P with 8 POE 10/100 ports and GigE uplink port for $69. I like being able to VPN into the network and bring up the switch’s UI and power cycle a specific camera if it is misbehaving. One down side to many managed switches is that they often have noisy cooling fans. My SRW208P is in the garage, so its fan noise isn’t an issue, but it’s noisy enough I wouldn’t want it inside the house.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CaliGirl, I’m going to mention some of the things I’ve done at our vacation home in the areas of remote access/control and home automation that you might want to look into as future projects.
This is amazing digger. Quite a setup yo must have. Sounds like you live in the snow like us. I printed this out to show the rest of the family and see if any of these items would help us. I really like the remote water control valve. Although, ours is buried in a few feet of pebble rocks and has a drain valve too. Appreciate you sharing this info!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SO I had ordered both items from NewEgg. The PTZ was in stock on the website and I ordered it. I even called that same day to confirm payment went through and asked if it was in stock. The guy said absolutely yes it was. Got an email today that the PTZ camera is out of stock and the price has been increased to $900 ??? Also got an email that the first item is shipping from NJ not CA as told and would arrive a day late after we leave :/

Needless to say. Too good to be true. But I defiantly don't recommend purchasing items from NewEgg.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone know an alternate source for us to purchase the 30x Dahua 2mp camera? Or how about can alternate camera that will work with the Dahua NVR?
DH-SD59230TN-HN

It would be a good sale for a retailer.

NewEgg out of stock $521
Adorama out of stock $576
B and H special order and high price $900
Ebay, high price $1,000
AllieExpress doesn't carry it

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is the newer 4mp version which also supports PoE SD-59430U-HN

I have never tried this store on aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-4Mp-PTZ-Full-HD-30x-Network-IR-PTZ-Dome-Camera-H-265-with-logo-SD59430U/32657897867.html

Thanks smoothie. More then I wanted to spend but that will have to do. I didn't know there was a higher res version.

I think I overlooked the mounting for these. Doesn't look like it comes with a mount for the tree?

Is it easy enough to build your own with metal pipe or should I try to track down this: PFB303S ??

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NTSC vs. PAL shouldn't matter with IP cams using PoE

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the SD59230T replaced the SD59230U which might be why you cannot find any of the U variant any more

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not sure what the N on the end of the model represents for those cameras. Perhaps someone like @nayr might know and chime in