Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any decent UPS has a USB cable and software you can run on a PC to have the PC shut down automatically after a power outage. However this won't shut off the network gear and the cameras, so the UPS will still go dead in a long outage. I haven't found a UPS yet that can make a computer turn back on. Most PCs have a feature that can be enabled in the BIOS to make the computer turn on automatically after power is lost and then restored, but this only works if the PC actually loses power. If it got shut down because the UPS told it to, it won't come back on.
As I remember there was (once upon a time) an option in APC UPS software to boot the computer upon power restore...I'll look into that but maybe my memory fails me. In addition (and IMO)...no harm done if the POE switch and (therefore the cameras) loose power suddenly as they will boot back up when power is restored and the POE switch comes back online. However, as we all know, sudden power loss to a PC has the potential to damage a disk or the OS installation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm more confused then ever guys :/.

I appreciate everyone's advice 10 folds!!!!!! I can't decide if an NVR or Dell Desktop with Blue Iris is the way to go for power outage reliability? You all make such great points.
They will both be the same for power outage... almost every pc can reboot on power restoration (its a bios setting) - not so with all laptops..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I appreciate everyone's advice 10 folds!!!!!! I can't decide if an NVR or Dell Desktop with Blue Iris is the way to go for power outage reliability? You all make such great points.
You don't need to decide tonight, do you kiddo. Rushed decisions are poor decisions. Sit back and study and think it through.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They will both be the same for power outage... almost every pc can reboot on power restoration (its a bios setting) - not so with all laptops..
Yes, but (1) I do not see that setting in every PC BIOS I have accessed and (2) as @bp2008 stated is not that BIOS setting is for unexpected power failure and not for a graceful shutdown command issued by a UPS?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but (1) I do not see that setting in every PC BIOS I have accessed and (2) as @bp2008 stated is not that BIOS setting is for unexpected power failure and not for a graceful shutdown command issued by a UPS?
I have not come across a pc that cannot do it..certainly every business pc, optiplex elitedesk thinkcentre etc can.....Even home HP and dell pc's can do this...
The ups software will issue a shutdown command...if the power doesnt stay off long enough for the battery to drain the pc wont come back on...solution? simple, done use the UPS to shutdown the pc...keep the pc running until battery failure...no big deal...in fact, most of my blue iris pc's are only connected to surge suppression, they start right back up after a power interruption...

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't need to decide tonight, do you kiddo. Rushed decisions are poor decisions. Sit back and study and think it through.
Yep, very much correct! I'm used to attacking a tasking and getting it done in a few days and moving on to the next. I'm over my head on this one. It is a little frustrating.

I don't mind spending the $ towards it but I don't want to deal with the repercussions of making the wrong decision and not having something reliable. At this point the Foscam's are more reliable then a computer that does not restart after a power failure and reconnect, if the makes any sense. A company needs to solve these issues and come out with a consumer version :) One of you smart IP guys need to start a company. My brother has the Arlo and it works great for his purposes, but can't be changing batteries often enough at this remote locale. Plus, it is all about the Optical zoom PTZ that will be a game changer. I'm used to challenges. Taught my self to fly a drone, this IP challenge is right up there with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Either one will beat the foscams.
Be sure to check out the NVR, DVR, and Computer section of the forum: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/15-NVR-s-DVR-s-amp-Computers

If you need to, there are ways you can remotely power cycle equipment even things like a belkin WeMo plug can do it.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Either one will beat the foscams.
Be sure to check out the NVR, DVR, and Computer section of the forum: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/15-NVR-s-DVR-s-amp-Computers

If you need to, there are ways you can remotely power cycle equipment even things like a belkin WeMo plug can do it.
I never thought about adding a wemo to power cycle the cameras. Good thinking. That would have been handy about 2-3 years ago when the Foscam needed to recycle remotely. I think all this wifi stuff has gotten a lot more reliable in the last year.

Reading the Computer and NVR section tonight.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I never thought about adding a wemo to power cycle the cameras. Good thinking. That would have been handy about 2-3 years ago when the Foscam needed to recycle remotely. I think all this wifi stuff has gotten a lot more reliable in the last year.

Reading the Computer and NVR section tonight.
With PoE cams, you could get a managed PoE switch/midspan that allows per-port power control or use something like that to power cycle the entire un-managed switch. There are also some device that can power cycle your modem if your internet connection drops.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

What are yours guy's thoughts on this Dahua 4K NVR for $369 + WD Purple 4TH HDD for $141?
= $510 I won't be using it at the house. It will sole be used to connect remotely to review and save recordings via my Mac and IPhone.

Then I have have $500 left for cameras.

I feel better about buying something in the USA that I can return if it fails or I get stuck trying to set it up. The equipment on alliexpress will take 2-3 weeks and a hassle if I need to return it. I wouldn't mind buying a camera or two on there if need be. But having some sort of return policy in the USA makes it a lot easier for me.

I still see a number of negative reviews about Dahlia's remote IOS software on Amazon, but nayr has said it works well from his experience.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

What are yours guy's thoughts on this Dahua 4K NVR for $369 + WD Purple 4TH HDD for $141?
= $510 I won't be using it at the house. It will sole be used to connect remotely to review and save recordings via my Mac and IPhone.
If I understand you correctly, this would be a terrible idea. An NVR's purpose is to record and manage saved video, not to connect to a remote system.

If you want to buy from a vendor in the USA that will support you and provide a warranty, check out http://www.nellyssecurity.com/

They have a subforum here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/54-Nelly-s-Security And they can offer you a small discount just for being an ipcamtalk forum member!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An NVR or PC running something like Blue Iris needs to be on premises with the cameras.
You can remotely access it to look at events where motion was triggered or play back clips. If you want to minimize false triggers, on cameras modes like line crossing or intrusion provide more accuracy. However, the best results are achieved by hooking up sensors like motion detectors.

Remote live viewing by itself is a lot less useful, but doesn't require an NVR.

dalepa

Reaction score
Start out slow, small, cheap.

Get an old(free) pc or laptop, POE+switch ($70), one Huisun 10x ($150), Blue Iris (trial) and cat6 cable premade and test it all out for about $230.

It will take some time to figure our BI, and the phone apps, but it's not too hard. Once you comfortable, get a faster PC and more cameras.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, this would be a terrible idea. An NVR's purpose is to record and manage saved video, not to connect to a remote system.

If you want to buy from a vendor in the USA that will support you and provide a warranty, check out http://www.nellyssecurity.com/

They have a subforum here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/54-Nelly-s-Security And they can offer you a small discount just for being an ipcamtalk forum member!
No, I think you mis understand my intentions. The NVR would be there to record all the action and be the brains onsite. Then remotely log into the NVR with Safari or IOS and use it's friendly features to review the recorded footage.

I looked at www.nellyssecurity.com/ and might actually use them. They don't have a lot of the particular cameras and NVRs I have been suggested on here though. Always good to buy from a forum vendor that is here to support you and follow up with if you have a problem.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An NVR or PC running something like Blue Iris needs to be on premises with the cameras.
You can remotely access it to look at events where motion was triggered or play back clips. If you want to minimize false triggers, on cameras modes like line crossing or intrusion provide more accuracy. However, the best results are achieved by hooking up sensors like motion detectors.

Remote live viewing by itself is a lot less useful, but doesn't require an NVR.
Yes, exactly. Let NVR or Blue Iris record everything so we can check on it later from 500 miles away. And download some of the footage to put together storm time lapses at the lake. I like the motion detector concept. Constant false triggers with the motion and sound detection on the current Foscam. More a pain then helpful with all the trees movement and shadows that move in the house. We have remote live viewing right now and it is great. But terribly fuzzy on the Foscams that it is hard to see many details.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get an old(free) pc or laptop, POE+switch ($70), one Huisun 10x ($150), Blue Iris (trial) and cat6 cable premade and test it all out for about $230. It will take some time to figure our BI, and the phone apps, but it's not too hard. Once you comfortable, get a faster PC and more cameras.
I might have to go this route. But wanted to buy something this week and set it all up at the end of the month when we visit. But, that might be unrealistic. Maybe put it all together in the garage and let it run for a few weeks and learn how to adjust items and then pack it up and instal it a month before the snow hits. In another month the ground will start to freeze and it is near impossible to dig and hide cables and a lot harder to work outside in the cold.

Still don't have a good place in mind to hide all of this equipment that has 120 power source and cable internet outlet. Sounds easy to call cable provider and have them install a cable outlet but not at these cabins. Hard to set up appointments and be there to get stuff like this done when you are only there a few days a year. Might tap into the cable from outside the house where there is a splitter and run a new cable around the outside of the house an inside the basement area to a closet. Then move the cable modem, router and CCTV equipment there. Seems kinda important to have all of this stuff locked up incase there ever was a break in that the recordings are secure. But then again, all you have to do is cut the cable or power the second you arrive at a house and all these cameras are pointless :/ or steal the hard drive out of the CCTV case and you covered your bases. Not to be paranoid, but You'd have to have it all tucked away and then it would be a pain to get to and trouble shoot and adjust items when you are there. Kinda like when you burry a wireless router in a rack and then need to get to the back of it to add more wires or press the reset button, etc. I might have to give up on the fact that this is not really for home invasion. We don't really have any valuables for people to steal anyway. Just the boat in the summer and our neighbor always keeps an eye on that.

Thanks for the embedded links dalepa. Super helpful when people do that. Easy to keep track of all the research.