Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DNS is the internet's address lookup service. When you type in www.amazon.com, DNS converts that to an IP address that computer's understand, and then a connection is requested to that IP address. The router should have a place in the settings where you can designate an appropriate DNS server. The behavior you describe sounds like your computer is not finding what the addresses it's asking for when you're connected through VPN.
I've always harbored the belief that -- one of the problems DNS solves -- is that the human brain will remember "www.google.com" much easier than "74.125.21.106". How's that for useless tech trivia?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
tech experts u can correct me if i'm wrong.the faster the router the more smoother vpn will be? i thought i remember reading in the slickdeals forum.whenever there is a good router posted in the deals section people ask if it's slow or fast for vpn.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tech experts u can correct me if i'm wrong.the faster the router the more smoother vpn will be? i thought i remember reading in the slickdeals forum.whenever there is a good router posted in the deals section people ask if it's slow or fast for vpn.
I'm no tech expert like BP2008, tangent or Nayr...but I think it safe to say that -- "the faster the throughput the faster and smoother the VPN connection will be" -- and that the throughput can be bottle-necked by a variety of devices, including firewalls, routers, processors, cables, switches, ISP speed, ect.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've always harbored the belief that -- one of the problems DNS solves -- is that the human brain will remember "www.google.com" much easier than "74.125.21.106". How's that for useless tech trivia?
You're somewhat right. That address is actually 01001010011111010001010101101010 to computers, which only understand ones and zeros. So, when a human types in www.google.com to their computer, the computer converts it to 01001010011111010001010101101010. 74.125.21.106 is a human representation of the base2 number the computer actually uses to help us understand the concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are so many factors that affect performance that it's not really possible to say what causes a router to be "fast" or "slow". It might not even be the router at all. For example, if the router is setup to use a certain IP for DNS, and that DNS server is down, the router will appear to be incredibly slow. That's because it's having real problems resolving addresses. It will try the DNS server repeatedly until it fails. Then it will switch to the secondary server. It all depends on the algorithm for determining failure for how long it will try. Windows used to be horrible for trying repeatedly to contact servers that were down, rather than giving up and trying the secondary.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're somewhat right. That address is actually 1001010011111011110000001001000 to computers, which only understand ones and zeros. So, when a human types in www.google.com to their computer, the computer converts it to 1001010011111011110000001001000. 74.125.21.106 is a human representation of the base2 number the computer actually uses to help us understand the concept.
It that case it's much worse than I surmized! dog03.gif

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm no tech expert like BP2008, tangent or Nayr...but I think it safe to say that -- "the faster the throughput the faster and smoother the VPN connection will be" -- and that the throughput can be bottle-necked by a variety of devices, including firewalls, routers, processors, cables, switches, ISP speed, ect.
Dooley noted. But, this is beyond slow. I don't think it has every loaded a page fully. In fact everytime I try to connect to the Miami test VPN it now fails if I am not on my home network. SO, must be a setting issue or connections issue with the neighbor's networks.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@CaliGirl, if you want, I can try to connect to your VPN and let you know what happens. Just setup an account for me and email me the information - pschmehl@tx.rr.com. I'll connect and run some speed tests and let you know the results.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dooley noted. But, this is beyond slow. I don't think it has every loaded a page fully. In fact everytime I try to connect to the Miami test VPN it now fails if I am not on my home network. SO, must be a setting issue or connections issue with the neighbor's networks.
I checked that Asus router you are using, it uses only a singe core processor. Some routers can't handle a VPN unless they are dual core. Have you thought about getting a new router?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked that Asus router you are using, it uses only a singe core processor. Some routers can't handle a VPN unless they are dual core. Have you thought about getting a new router?
It's a brand new router. I purchased it replace the netgear4500 so that I could run a VPN. I see others on youtube using it for VPN? And a few people in the amazon reviews using it for VPN?
I think the issue is either the settings, or I need a fast stable network to try, which I don't really have access too. I may drive to work and try it from there. All the other networks around here are locked or spotty wifi from neighbors.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Load the VPN info on your phone and try and connect thru 3g/4g cellular. As long as you have a decent signal that should be able to tell u.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Poor alternate networks were to blame. It is working from Starbucks google wifi :) :) much happier now! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Load the VPN info on your phone and try and connect thru 3g/4g cellular. As long as you have a decent signal that should be able to tell u.
Tried but couldn't figure that out, the apps kept pushing me to load and pay for torrent type vpns on iOS

Dana Weick

n3wb
Reaction score
Using consumer WiFi routers as VPN boxes is a bit like using low end cameras on a security system, you can do it but it's not usually a good idea. They tend to implement a less secure VPN and run on hardware that lacks both memory and compute power.

I use dual lan pfSense boxes right after my ISP cable/DSL box. It not only is superior at protecting your network but it lets you easily implement a VPN server or client. I buy inexpensive Celeron N3150 based mini pc's from Aliexpress, about $120, quad core, < 10W, no fans, tiny and reliable. A USB thumb drive for pfSense, a 4GB SODIMM and no hard drive. They'll easily handle 100-200+Mbps of VPN traffic, stay up for months on end, auto reboot if power is lost and then restored and get regular pfSense security updates. Total cost of the box, about $150.

ISP box -> pfSense box -> gigabit switch -> rest of your network

Configure your ISP box to put the pfSense box in the DMZ so all traffic is passed to the pfSense box.

You end up with a powerful firewall + router + OpenVPN server/client. Your existing WiFi router can simply provide WiFi and not get involved in any routing.

That ASUS router is lucky to manage 15Mbps over a VPN, at which point it's CPU is pegged.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using consumer WiFi routers as VPN boxes is a bit like using low end cameras on a security system, you can do it but it's not usually a good idea.
That ASUS router is lucky to manage 15Mbps over a VPN, at which point it's CPU is pegged.
You're slowly killing my dreams :)

I'm not network fluent enough to setup what you are talking bout. You lost me at pfSense

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Asus VPN connected established. Thanks Smoothie for the testing and advice this morning!

Once I tried it outside my network at the local Starbucks Google wifi, it connected fine. (must have been a problem with neighbor's wifi) I was able to log into my Asus router remotely and reach Smart PSS remotely. I unchecked the route all traffic over VPN to allow normal web browsing to take place. Will load all the cameras on NVR and check speed remotely from work today.

Currently, trying to sort out why there are multiple versions of the same IP cameras appearing on the NVR with different ip address.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Simple video showing the 30X PTZ booting up:

Photos:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
U can add mic and something like a loudspeaker plus put pir sensor.should have those basic wires.i have basic dahua cam which has alarm and audio inputs.im almost done with my setup :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Poor alternate networks were to blame. It is working from Starbucks google wifi :) :) much happier now! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Tried but couldn't figure that out, the apps kept pushing me to load and pay for torrent type vpns on iOS
You're using an iPhone, right? Go to Settings/General/VPN/Add VPN Configuration. Select PPTP for Type, Enter your info, and you can connect. You don't need an app. It's built-in.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
U can add mic and something like a loudspeaker plus put pir sensor.should have those basic wires.i have basic dahua cam which has alarm and audio inputs.im almost done with my setup :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. I would like to add 2 weatherproof infrared motion detectors so when someone trips the sensor it will go to a pre-determined view and zoom in on them and send me an email. A lot less false triggers I would imagine. Much like the setup nayr shared with us. Then reset to a default view.

Loud speaker is a good idea. I imagine it would be line level and need to be an amplified 12v speaker (here) like they have on fishing boats. I have been on a few finishing boats when I was filming and they use the loudspeaker as both a mic and a speaker.

I have been looking at cctv mics to add to it. But it looks like they require some sort of power to operate them. Would be a pain to run another 12v cable just to power a little mic like this. Anyway to steal some power off the camera or PPOE cable to power speaker? I thought i read that POE is 44v inorder to have more voltage pressure to handle the long cable runs.

5174lOtZ1KL.jpgmotion-sensor-IP-camera-integration.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.