Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I have not rebooted the router remotely. I was afraid to do so, that was the once device that I never reboot remotely if it is working. But if you think that might do something I can try to do that in the UI via the VPN.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I believe they all use the cloud. The companies are Nest, TPLink and Wemo.

According to the router, they are all connected via wifi with strong signals. But the iOS apps can't find them. Even if I turn on a VPN for my iPhone, the apps still cant find them or connect. So the cloud must not know where they devices are? They are supposed to call home (to the cloud) when they connect to internet and let the company know they are available.

I def learned my lesson about these.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, has this ever happened, and the day and time has came around that your timer has power cycled the router? Did that ever fix anything with these devices?

I see the Nest shows connecting 20hrs later than everything else.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns your reboot idea on the Asus router got all wifi items reconnected remotely!!!! I was nervous about doing it bc I didn't want to loose connection to cameras or dell or vpn, but it booted right back up. And now all these wifi devices are talking to the cloud and the iOS apps!

I don't have physical timer on the router, I said that wrong, it is only on the switch and wifi wemo plug for remote power cycles.

All of those devices were connected the entire time but not calling home for some reason. After the router reboot remotely they are calling home. Thanks so much!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Except the reboot killed something with blue iris, can't connect BI Web UI or IOS app, troubleshooting that now.

But your reboot idea also got Team viewer working again on the remote Dell. I never power cycled the Dell but the router reboot caused Team viewer to connect remotely. So weird, I don't even have a clue how those two are connected and why that happened?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns your reboot idea on the Asus router got all wifi items reconnected remotely!!!! I was nervous about doing it bc I didn't want to loose connection to cameras or dell or vpn, but it booted right back up. And now all these wifi devices are talking to the cloud and the iOS apps!

I don't have physical timer on the router, I said that wrong, it is only on the switch and wifi wemo plug for remote power cycles.

All of those devices were connected the entire time but not calling home for some reason. After the router reboot remotely they are calling home. Thanks so much!
You are welcome, glad it was that simple. :)

Random thoughts:
Generators are great, but they don't come online instantly. Usually they have a 60-90 second delay. So that still leaves the client reconnection issues.

It may be that either your modem or the router takes longer to come backup. I know my cable modem can take up to 3-4 minutes to re-establish an internet connection, sometimes longer.

My 2 cents, I would put a UPS powering both the router and the modem. They draw very little, so they would stay up and running a long time.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except the reboot killed something with blue iris, can't connect BI Web UI or IOS app, troubleshooting that now.

But your reboot idea also got Team viewer working again on the remote Dell. I never power cycled the Dell but the router reboot caused Team viewer to connect remotely. So weird, I don't even have a clue how those two are connected and why that happened?
You need to stop feeding the Gremlins after midnight. :lol:
(movie reference)

It all could be related to how long it takes your router and modem to come backup.
I see from above you don't have a static IP set on your BI server. So, rebooting the router changed it's IP address, most likely.
You need to set it to a static IP, and not depend on the router to hand out an IP.
See how here: How to Assign a Static IP Address in Windows 7, 8, 10, XP, or Vista

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You all are great! I knew there was probably an easy work around. Router reboot it is. Yes, def getting a simple ups for the router and modem to keep them running. These wifi switches work great as long as the router's wifi antenna never goes down.

Ya, generator is too complicated and too much for this place. We don't have enough time to deal with installing one or keeping it working.

The BI issues was that the ip address from the internet company changed and the web server page on the BI updated, but the iOS app and web browser app needed to be updated to the new ip address, they are not automatic. I can get a no-ip address setup but I had issues with that company not keeping it up to date so I ket it simple for now and let BI keep updating my IP. I will just need to check via team viewer every so often or vpn if it ever changes.

I setup a static ip address for the Dell on the router.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya good, idea, I will lock the Nest and wifi devices onto their own static ip addresses. That way as they come online they won't steal each others ip address on accident.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a way to check your ip from the Perspective software's web site. I remember reading it in the help for for the BI web server. Not in front of my BI server at the moment.

The Asus router offers several different ways to keep your IP upto date. Then Alll you would need to use is www.caligirl.asus.com for example.
It's under advanced settings/wan/ddns tab.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya, I can remotely log into Asus router and turn off the wifi radio signal and back up and that doesn't wake up wifi devices that should connect. Weird.

Ahh that would make sense @looney2ns ! The nest and wifi plugs might boot right back up while Asus takes a bit and while waiting they give up. That is what I need to know more about. How does a wifi remote switch and the the nest operate. Do they look for a signal in x amount of time and if no signal give up, or are they supposed to retry every few hours? Bc they certainly have power and a strong wifi signal at this point. Unfortunately I have google searched this topic and have not found technical info. I even called nest and the guy didn't know and said you just need to touch the nest and tell it to reconnect. I was like, hello, I just told you I am 4 hrs away.

I can easily get the Asus router on a UPS with the Dell.

I have a manual timer that power cycles the Asus router and camera switch once a week. So that if they every get locked up or need a reboot, there is something physical there to get it going. That is what the Nest needs and the wifi plugs but unfortunately I cant get physical timer on each one of those.

CaliGirl, that flashing yellow icon in the upper right hand corner next to App means there is a firmware up date available. Always a good idea to keep a routers firmware up to date for security reasons. Though you might want to wait till you're on site so you can power cycle everything if need be.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
caligirl,

It was off for about 2-3 mins and back on for 5mins about 3 times. Then stable there after. What is the difference?
If power is cycled quickly & repeatedly, some electronics can get into a locked-up state, for any number of reasons unfortunately.
While powering up, there may be some reading/writing to a disk or flash memory. Incomplete writes could occur.
While powering down, the device may be storing status and various states of operational items (so as to "restore" those items upon powerup), and if the device is then told to power up, and shortly after, power is removed, the device can get confused.
I only have general knowledge in this area.

But Consider:
- Some devices include rebooting instructions such as "remove power, wait 15 seconds, then restore power".
- Connecting DC power to a device that has its power switch set to "'ON" is not "Best Practice". Inserting the DC connector does not always result in a nice, clean rise in voltage from 0 to 12v (or 5V, 24V, whatever) A so-called "step waveform". Especially if the connector has oxidation. What the device sees is many up and downs in voltage over a short period of time, and then eventually settles down to a steady voltage. See pic of a power-up waveform.

"Best Practice" is to connect power only when the device powere switch is OFF. After power is connected, then turn the device ON.

But it sounds like you and looney2ns may have figured out the problem.....

Fastb

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
caligirl,

If power is cycled quickly & repeatedly, some electronics can get into a locked-up state, for any number of reasons unfortunately.
While powering up, there may be some reading/writing to a disk or flash memory. Incomplete writes could occur.
While powering down, the device may be storing status and various states of operational items (so as to "restore" those items upon powerup), and if the device is then told to power up, and shortly after, power is removed, the device can get confused.
I only have general knowledge in this area.

But Consider:
- Some devices include rebooting instructions such as "remove power, wait 15 seconds, then restore power".
- Connecting DC power to a device that has its power switch set to "'ON" is not "Best Practice". Inserting the DC connector does not always result in a nice, clean rise in voltage from 0 to 12v (or 5V, 24V, whatever) A so-called "step waveform". Especially if the connector has oxidation. What the device sees is many up and downs in voltage over a short period of time, and then eventually settles down to a steady voltage. See pic of a power-up waveform.

"Best Practice" is to connect power only when the device powere switch is OFF. After power is connected, then turn the device ON.

But it sounds like you and looney2ns may have figured out the problem.....

Fastb
Absolutely, I had a business in a town that had very un-reliable power. The power may go off for 15 seconds, then come back on, then back off. May do this rapidly for a 2 or more minutes. I learned pretty quickly everything of importance needed a UPS, after several expensive equipment items were fried during these episodes.

Good surge protectors (tripp-lite) and UPS's, saved my bacon many times over the years....after I learned the hard $$$$ way. ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CaliGirl, that flashing yellow icon in the upper right hand corner next to App means there is a firmware up date available. Always a good idea to keep a routers firmware up to date for security reasons. Though you might want to wait till you're on site so you can power cycle everything if need be.
May possibly also solve the client's not reconnecting issue as well, ya never know.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On another point, I can not recommend wifi WeMo and TPLink switches. I have 3 for power cycling the cameras, Dell computer and another device. After the recent power failure, not one of those came back online, now I am unable to control them remotely. How hard is it to design a device that reconnects to wifi after a power loss?? Oh and the Nest Thermostat dropped off line as well. I guarantee you all I need to do is unplug and re plug the devices to get them back online but unable to do so remotely :(

None of these devices can consistently recover from a power failure and reconnect on their own so plan accordingly:
First of all I agree with everybody else, get a UPS. You can put your Blue Iris PC, PoE switch, modem, and router all on the same UPS but your runtime will be shorter. This is good for short infrequent outages, but if you have a lot of outages consider putting the modem and router on their own UPS which will keep the internet up longer.

I believe there's an option in TeamViewer settings to run as a service. I'd turn that on. There are other options for remote access, chrome remote desktop is similar to team viewer but I'm not sure if it's active before you login. You can set the PC to log in automatically if needed when you turn it on. If you've got a Pro version of windows, you can enable windows remote desktop and access that through your VPN don't forward ports to it. You can also install various VNC servers.

Z-Wave devices have the advantage of not depending on the cloud. You could plug a z-wave stick into your blue iris PC and use it for home automation too. You could use Domoticz like nayr or buy a copy of homeseer (it's a bit expensive). You could relatively easily automate the reboot of your router if your computer looses internet.

There's also this: ResetPlug is a $60 device to keep you trapped in crappy Wi-Fi hell