Need help replacing heart of existing system

Reaction score
I recently bought a home in New Mexico that has 7 pretty nice PTZ security cameras. Unfortunately the sellers took the server with them when they moved.

What I have is 7 AXIS Q61xx (I think) cameras connected to PoE devices. All the cameras are powered up and track you as you walk across their view. The cameras show up on my local network router but my attempts to log in to them directly have failed. I don't have the IP login credentials. I'm in the process of moving and when I get back to the house next week I will attempt to do factory resets on the cameras.

So I will need some sort of video management software for viewing and recording. Anybody make some recommendations? I don't need anything too elaborate and would appreciate something that is fairly quick and simple to get up and running. I also don't want to miss out on any useful functionality by choosing the wrong software and having to start over.

And hardware. My initial thought is to run this on a little NUC desktop PC. Is there any significant advantage to using a dedicated security recording device? Again, asking for recommendations.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought a home in New Mexico that has 7 pretty nice PTZ security cameras. Unfortunately the sellers took the server with them when they moved.

What I have is 7 AXIS Q61xx (I think) cameras connected to PoE devices. All the cameras are powered up and track you as you walk across their view. The cameras show up on my local network router but my attempts to log in to them directly have failed. I don't have the IP login credentials. I'm in the process of moving and when I get back to the house next week I will attempt to do factory resets on the cameras.

So I will need some sort of video management software for viewing and recording. Anybody make some recommendations? I don't need anything too elaborate and would appreciate something that is fairly quick and simple to get up and running. I also don't want to miss out on any useful functionality by choosing the wrong software and having to start over.

And hardware. My initial thought is to run this on a little NUC desktop PC. Is there any significant advantage to using a dedicated security recording device? Again, asking for recommendations.

HI @RumbleMouse

Is this what you have ?

1682115008913.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you need a central device that will record all the video from the cameras, commonly called a VMS (Video Management System).

If you go with an NVR, it is best to match camera brand with NVR brand. But Axis ain't cheap.

Another VMS that is a lot cheaper is to go with a Windows computer and use Blue Iris and the PC/BI combo becomes your VMS.

But neither is plug-n-play. The NVR would probably be the quickest to get going if you no absolutely nothing, but most will say that Blue Iris has way more functionality.

I would suggest spend some time looking around here and doing some searches and reading the wiki and then decide your approach.

Blue Iris versus NVR

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
+1 to wittaj - I would also say that if you have a 'workable' level of technology know-how you will benefit from using Blue Iris/PC. Additionally, you'll be able to use most of us here as a resource to help you troubleshoot etc as most here run a Blue Iris/PC machine.

Reaction score
I was able to reset one of the cameras. Installed Blue Iris on the eBay PC and got it connected to the camera. Even put the Android app on my phone and managed to get it set up and connected.
It all went pretty smooth with only a few moments of confusion.
Now that I have a working system on my next trip south I will do resets on the other cameras and get them on line.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very nice! Glad it worked out pretty easily - when I started I also put 1 camera on BI and tried to figure it out and slowly added my cams. I think that is the way to go, many people try to start with 8-10 cameras and get overwhelmed because they don't know how the software works

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice! Glad it worked out pretty easily - when I started I also put 1 camera on BI and tried to figure it out and slowly added my cams. I think that is the way to go, many people try to start with 8-10 cameras and get overwhelmed because they don't know how the software works
Absolutely imho the best route to go .. try learning on 1-2 cameras while reading the various notes we have shared here.

imho, you can read all the threads here and really not "feel" it until you actually play around with testing various positions with a test rig.

I know I just wanted to pull wires to positions first .. but glad to have started out testing first.

( note, in my case I had used an Arlo first, and they really allowed me to test locations for the 1st round, and then I would confirm with better Dahua OEM cameras .. )