Need help to set up motion detection

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been trying to find a solution, I have read multiple threads on these boards, but I am lost now after many hours...

I have these IP cameras: HIKVISION DS-2CD2T46G1-2I
I have this NVR: DS-7608NI-K2

When I click on the Events, the system shows "The camera does not support this function".

I read my camera specs, it should have all special events like motion detection etc.

Specs: DS-2CD2T46G1-2I/4I

Please, help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I click on the Events, the system shows "The camera does not support this function".
In the NVR web GUI, System | Camera Management - what protocol is the camera is connected with?

Suggestion :
Enable Virtual Host - Network | Advanced | other
In the NVR web GUI, System | Camera Management, click the link for the camera under the Connect column and log in to the camera web GUI.
Check the Events and Smart Events available directly in the camera.

What tab at the top of the Events page is selected?

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, but it does not work.

Protocol for all cameras is HIKVISION.

I followed your suggestion without success.

Before I downloaded the latest firmware, I could see multiple options under Smart Event tab in the NVR web GUI. But nothing worked either. After the update, I can see "Scene Change Detection" only under Smart event tab. The Basic event tab offers me: Motion, Video Tampering, Video Loss, Alarm Input, Alarm Output, Exception.

The Motion does not work in any way.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Before I downloaded the latest firmware, I could see multiple options under Smart Event tab in the NVR web GUI.
OK, so this problem has occurred following a firmware update. NVR firmware upgrade?
Please provide a link to the firmware that you downloaded.

Did you manage to connect to the camera web GUI and confirm that the events and smart events are as you expect them to be?

Suggestion :
What browser are you using to connect to the NVR web GUI?
If not IE11 - use IE11 and download and install the plugin as directed.
Check if that makes a difference to the event availablity.

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I could see there multiple options before the update, but they did not work...

I downloaded the NVR firmware update from here - and I guess I used the same source for the camera firmware update too.

I connected to the camera web GUI, but all what I can see under "Basic event" is Video Tampering, Exception (even less options than in the main NVR web GUI) and under "Smart event" is Scene Change Detection. I can thick the Scene Change Detection box, but it is not I am searching for.

I have only Mac (Safari, Google Chrome). I have found out there are big issues between HIKVISION and Mac, but I have got the same tech issues in the iVMS-4200 and in the NVR GUI too.

In the NVR GUI, I can see all Smart event options, but I just can't thick the boxes in order to activate them - they are not available for the cameras.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have only Mac (Safari, Google Chrome). I have found out there are big issues between HIKVISION and Mac, but I have got the same tech issues in the iVMS-4200 and in the NVR GUI too.
I'm speculating that this may be a browser problem.

I downloaded the NVR firmware update from here - and I guess I used the same source for the camera firmware update too.
There is no firmware at that link.
I was going to check the type and version of the specific firmware that you used.
Do you recall what the version was before the update?

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
If it is a browser problem, why I would not be able to set the motion alarm directly in the NVR GUI that runs independently from my Mac?

I remember the older firmware versions begins with number 3. Now, I have the newest one from this list: DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

EDIT

And this I downloaded for the camera firmware update: DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

Last edited:

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe some pics of the NVR GUI would be helpful:

1. Normal event - I can set up most of these options
2. Normal event - there is Motion option (moved from Smart event), but I can't click, thick or choose with nothing
3. Smart event - nothing worked there (of course the camera has no fire detection skill, but the first option, Line crossing, should work

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In general security systems are known to be problematic based on the browser being used. A simple change from one browser to another can open up several features you couldn't see before:

My neighbor that is an Apple guy had to purchase a cheap windows laptop to gain access to all of his camera and NVR features...

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try a Windows laptop at the weekend, but what is a difference between a Windows laptop browser and the NVR GUI? Shouldn't all features be available right in the NVR GUI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not necessarily and it doesn't seem to be consistent either - maybe you do not have anything additional, but maybe not. Plus you should make any changes to a camera setting from the camera GUI and not the NVR GUI

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be this file helpful to make me sure the motion detection and other options marked "true" are really a part of my cameras?
That looks normal - the camera is OK.

Maybe some pics of the NVR GUI would be helpful:
These images were helpful.
They clearly confirm there is a problem with the NVR configuration, and as you say, it's independent of the browser.
Although the choice of browser can also hide or change some features.

My understanding is that this problem started when you updated the NVR firmware from a V3.x firmware version to the V4.x, is that correct?
There have been many problems of corrupt or faulty configuration data following such an upgrade, sufficient that Hikvision have published guidance on how best to perform the update to reduce the chance of a problem.
See here : I-Series NVR Firmware Upgrade Instructions

Although the guidance is targeted at the I-series NVRs, the firmware is the same for the K-series NVRs.
A common result has been garbled UserIDs but I'm wondering if your NVR may be suffering from a more subtle configuration corruption.

A suggestion to try :
If the cause of this problem is a configuration corruption following the database translation between the V3.x and V4.x versions of firmware, it should be possible to clear this by resetting the NVR to default values.
On reboot, this will cause the NVR to populate a new database with default values.
Recordings will not be erased.
A bit tedious to reconfigure all the settings - but OK if it brings it back to normal operation.
The 'Reset to default' choices are under the Maintenance screen of the VGA/HDMI interface.

Good luck!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have this NVR: DS-7608NI-K2
This model does not have PoE ports - is that the correct model number?
I'm assuming therefore that the cameras are on a PoE switch on the LAN, as opposed to on NVR PoE ports.

And I forgot to add - make sure that you know the camera passwords and IP addresses, as these will be erased from the NVR configuration.
You can re-add the cameras manually with that information.

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions. I will follow up them after work and give you a feedback.

Anyway, I believed the motion option was not even possible before update, but I am not sure with anything now, so I will give it a try.

Yes, I have a PoE switch.

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Restore to default via NVR web GUI or in the NVR GUI (restore to factory) does not help. It keeps to have the latest firmware version.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dear, that's not good.
Well, at least it rules out the possibility that the configuration database was the origin of the problem.

What would be easy enough to do now is to use the web GUI to re-apply the same version of firmware as is already installed.

Beyond that, I don't have much of an idea.

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
Success! I logged in to a respective camera GUI.

System Service - Maintenance - System Service

Enable Motion Detection
Note: If Motion Detection is enabled, certain functions such as Intrusion Detection, Line Crossing Detection, Region Entrance Detection, and Region Exit Detection are not supported. New settings will take effect after a reboot.

//

It seems this option has been there all there time lol... Now, I can enable a motion detection. As it says, Line Crossing Detection is not available - but it was not available either when the Motion Detection was disabled...

dadoman9

n3wb
Reaction score
DONE IT! I restarted a respective camera to default settings (while keeping IP info and more) and it works now!

Thank you for your time and help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's a surprise!
I have not seen a Hikvision camera where enabling motion detection disables smart events.
All the cameras I've seen, and there have been lots, have motion detection and intrusion detection and other smart events independent of each other.
But you got there, that's good.