Need help troubleshooting a Dahua SD49225T-HN

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a SD49225T-HN back in 2017 and it's been working great up until last week when Blue Iris lost video.
I do not have physical access to the camera as I don't have a tall enough ladder (and it's cold and snowy which I don't want to deal with), but it's connected via a PoE injector which I do have access to.
I had a static IP address of 192.168.1.40 assigned via DHCP

Troubleshooting steps I've taken
  • Ping .40, no response
  • Ping .108 in case it reset to its default IP, no response
  • No other devices are using .40 or .108 (ie no conflicting duplicate IP addresses)
  • Ran an IP scanner on 192.168.1.0/24 port 80 and tried connecting via a browser to every unknown IP address that responded on port 80, didn't find the camera
  • Unplug PoE injector and plug it back in. Camera motors go through start up self test and pan/tilt the camera.
  • Switch is showing traffic on the camera's ethernet port based on the port activity light
  • Rebooted the switch

I do not know the camera MAC address as the router I'm using dropped the device from the DHCP table.

Next step, unless someone has a better idea, is to install wireshark and to run a capture at the time I restart the camera and try to see if I can find any identifying network traffic.
Anyone have any other more straightforward ideas?

Last edited:

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installed wireshark and set up a view filter of udp.port == 68
I'm seeing DHCP requests when I've tested iprenew and reboot of a couple of ethernet connected devices, but nothing when I reboot the Dahua.

Only other things I can think of are:
  • replace ethernet cables - the one from PoE injector to switch is easy. The one from PoE injector to camera is not practical at this time
  • hard reset of the camera which is also currently not practical unless there is some trick that doesn't require access to the inside of the camera (ie unplug/plug 5x in rapid succession or some such)

This sucks.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on the right path in terms of troubleshooting. Can you run a temporary cable from the injector to the camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on the right path in terms of troubleshooting. Can you run a temporary cable from the injector to the camera?

no, i can't physically access the camera. it's 20 feet up with snow and ice on the ground below it nor do i have a ladder that tall. I basically have to wait until spring and borrow my neighbor's ladder or pay someone.
If I'm going to pay someone, I'd just install a new camera rather than have to pay and find out after the camera is reset and cable is replaced it still doesn't work. It's a little odd I'm seeing traffic on the switch though. I thought maybe it could just be from the injector but if I unplug the camera from the injector, the switch activity light goes out, so the camera has something going on over the wire. If I could figure out the mac address maybe I could see what's going on, but I guess it doesn't matter if there's no DHCP request happening.

Or now that I think about it, I seem to recall the camera has a static IP set which I reserved in DHCP. That would be why I'm not seeing a DHCP request.

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok............. I now have ping responses coming back from 192.168.1.40. Wireshark shows the MAC as 72:2c:ee:26:d0:e6. I did an OUI lookup and nothing is returned. I unplugged the Dahua and guess what, I'm still getting ping responses.
Looks like I do have a duplicate IP address somewhere, so now that I know the problem, I need to figure out what the other device is but it seems I can stop looking at the Dahua as the problem.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the connection at the camera wasn't properly waterproofed at install time, then it's most likely water intrusion in the rj45 at the camera & has fried the connection.
Proper water proofing:
Die Electric grease in the rj45 connection prior to pluging in network cable.
Use coax seal tape over the connection.
Place connection in water proof junction box.
Maintain the cable so water can't follow the cable into the connection. IE create a drip loop.
I would leave the camera unplugged until such time you can reach the cam for further trouble shooting.

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It should be waterproofed enough, but if not, that doesn't appear to be the issue.
I'm making progress. I've found that an iphone that my wife bought her mom for xmas was on the .40 address.
I also found the mac address of the Dahua with wireshark. But not sure what's going on yet. Looks like it reset to .108 but I am unable to ping yet.

1608837151150.png

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It responds briefly to ping briefly upon reboot

1608837529843.png

1608837493077.png

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1st thing I did. I could see in Wireshark the router was not responding to the who has message coming from the camera. Rebooted the router, didn't fix it. I could also see an error in the arp table on the router relating to the camera's .108 IP. I'm now in the process of upgrading firmware on router and extenders.

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No love after the upgrade. I have 2 more immediate options as I see it.
I think I can reach pretty close to the camera with a blow dryer out a window and if there's a water issue, maybe I can dry things out with some heat.

I have a constant ping running to .108 and can see responses from time to time. Maybe it is a moisture issue after the big storm we just had here. Just sort of odd the problem started about the same time as the duplicate IP device came into the home. Also happened to go out when a woman needed some help. She thought someone broke into her car and stole her wallet. The cam caught it fall out of her jacket outside her car and had it laying on the ground the next several hours. Then the cam went down and has never come back. I feel bad I couldn't tell her who picked up her wallet, only that nobody broke into her car.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
What about the .40 address is that ping able?

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I finally got the camera down, I've tested the PoE injector and all cables. Camera is powering on it's not getting an IP address so I think the camera is toast. No moisture inside either. I'm outside of the 3 year warranty window so I guess I just need to replace the camera. Any recommendations for the newest similar cam to a SD49225T-HN but with a wider angle lens?

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you see if it had a factory reset button inside, did you try that?
do these things have factory reset buttons? I don't think I've ever noticed one but let me look into it a bit more.

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
found it, had to remove the back cover. doesn't do anything though. tried holding for up to 2 minutes (as i read in another post). it never reset. even tried holding it while applying power at least until the motor turned it too far for me to continue holding. the instruction manual talks about the reset button but doesn't provide instructions to reset so i just went off generic dahua instructions.

it was a great idea though!

updated manual here, also no help

video here on how to reset, looks like he just holds the button while it's powered on for 6 seconds.

Last edited:

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it may be the cable that goes into the unit.

Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.70: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.108: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.108: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=128

It has an indent and I was squeezing and massaging it while doing a continuous ping. It looks like I need pliers to unscrew the part where it enters the camera to see if it's something that can be replaced.
Nope, it's plastic and it's on there solid. Just destroying the plastic "nut" trying to unscrew it. Also 3 screws holding the top of the housing on, stripping them trying to remove those to get inside.

Last edited:

javierfer

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it may be the cable that goes into the unit.

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.108: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128

It has an indent and I was squeezing and massaging it while doing a continuous ping. It looks like I need pliers to unscrew the part where it enters the camera to see if it's something that can be replaced.
Nope, it's plastic and it's on there solid. Just destroying the plastic "nut" trying to unscrew it. Also 3 screws holding the top of the housing on, stripping them trying to remove those to get inside.

It's the same problem that happens to me, did you have a solution with the camera? found the problem?