Need help understanding storage settings

Madmonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
My goal is to keep:
- 21 days of continuous recording
- 30 days of alerts

I tried to split this up between keeping recent stuff on the BI machine, but I have run out of space a few times. Could someone take a look at these settings and give feedback on if they make sense?

I'm trying to tier data between having the most recent on the BI machine (drive D, E), and older data on a file server. I'd like BI to keep recording even if the file server fails for a day or more.

If any folder runs out of space, should BI automatically delete the oldest data to stay within the quota?

Should I simplify this somewhat and do something like set:
- 30 days of alerts on D: (40GB quota)
- 21 days of new -n e: (400GB quota)

Thanks for any help here! I'm having a hard time figuring out what the behaviors are when BI runs up against these limits. I'd rather have a policy that throws out old data rather than stopping new recordings if I run low on space.

Thanks for any & all suggestions!

Attachments

hoffsta

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you may want to just invest in a larger hard drive. I picked up a 4b WD Purple for $99 and I have no issues with running out of space.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
40 GB won't get you anywhere close to 21 days even if you record at 640x480 and drop your frame rate to 5 fps. And that's for one camera and also assuming you use H264.

How may cameras are you working with and have you considered a larger HDD?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
40 GB won't get you anywhere close to 21 days even if you record at 640x480 and drop your frame rate to 5 fps. And that's for one camera and also assuming you use H264.

How may cameras are you working with and have you considered a larger HDD?
Keep in mind that frame rate and resolution do not affect storage. The only setting that affects storage is the bitrate.