Need help with Blue Iris setup

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently put my router on a vpn service and have setup a ddns but for some reason cannot seem to get port forwarding to allow me to remote into my blue iris. The app works fine when I'm on my home network. I also believe port 80 is exposed but don't know what service is using it as I don't see any indications in my router settings. My router is an Asus AC3200 with Merlin firmware, any ideas what I'm screwing up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently put my router on a vpn service and have setup a ddns but for some reason cannot seem to get port forwarding to allow me to remote into my blue iris. The app works fine when I'm on my home network. I also believe port 80 is exposed but don't know what service is using it as I don't see any indications in my router settings. My router is an Asus AC3200 with Merlin firmware, any ideas what I'm screwing up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Probably because of your VPN service...that's offering zero security...you want a VPN server running on your network...no port forwarding..

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
Probably because of your VPN service...that's offering zero security...you want a VPN server running on your network...no port forwarding..
Zero security? I just dont understand why I haven't been,able to remote into blue iris with or without the vpn service and now with the ddns set up I still have no luck.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shut off the vpn and try it without. Also check your windows firewall. Fenderman is right. Use the vpn without forwarding ports if possible.

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
Shut off the vpn and try it without. Also check your windows firewall. Fenderman is right. Use the vpn without forwarding ports if possible.
I have tried it without the vpn with no luck and everything I found online and the remote wizard indicates that port 81(by default) needs to be port forwarded. How would I remotely access my cameras without these settings?

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried it without the vpn with no luck and everything I found online and the remote wizard indicates that port 81(by default) needs to be port forwarded. How would I remotely access my cameras without these settings?
Post a screen shot of your bi web server settings. Black out your external ip. The vpn should pass thru the router without forwarding ports. You may need to setup a static route but nothing more. Check your windows firewall first.

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
Post a screen shot of your bi web server settings. Black out your external ip. The vpn should pass thru the router without forwarding ports. You may need to setup a static route but nothing more. Check your windows firewall first.
Here is the snipping you requested. I have turned off my VPN connection with no change. Not certain my port forwarding is proper in my router. Thanks for the help with this as it is driving me crazy.

Attachments

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Change your port to a 4 digit number: 8085, 8585 etc... don't use 80 or 81. Shut off port forwarding. redo your vpn config file with the new port. restart the vpn service and recheck. also check your anti virus. make sure bi is excluded.

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
Change your port to a 4 digit number: 8085, 8585 etc... don't use 80 or 81. Shut off port forwarding. redo your vpn config file with the new port. restart the vpn service and recheck. also check your anti virus. make sure bi is excluded.
So I changed the port and turned off port forwarding but not can't even see BI from the app while on my network.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you using the bi mobile app? in the web server tab, lower the refresh rate to 2 minutes. refresh the app. it should come up.

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
you using the bi mobile app? in the web server tab, lower the refresh rate to 2 minutes. refresh the app. it should come up.
I am trying to use this BI mobile app but somehow I have went backwards in progress. I made the suggested changes and still no luck.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the mobile app showing the new changes? new port number?

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows firewall. create a new outbound rule for new port with bi program. then recheck the app it should update.

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
So I just got it to let me access again while on my home network. Parts of windows defender had reactivated.

Avie02

n3wb
Reaction score
I turned my VPN client back on and I can't access BI from external to my network or internal not sure what would cause the change to internal access.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so vpn connection is working? but not to bi?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero security? I just dont understand why I haven't been,able to remote into blue iris with or without the vpn service and now with the ddns set up I still have no luck.
yes, here is the confusion...you are using a paid vpn service which simply masks your ip address and yes, provides ZERO security, in fact makes it worse since you are passing your data to someone you dont know...this is causing all your problems...you want to run a FREE vpn server on your network so that you can create a secure tunnel when you are away....go read the vpn primer for noobs thread.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PORT 80 is the DEFAULT for a web browser, this means you DON'T have to put :80 after the ip to use the web browser, if YOU change that to anything else then YOU will have to put what YOU chose after the ip and the :

Do not confuse this with the port used by the service for the camera. that is not a web browser...