Need help with continuous recording

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a little overwhelmed with all the settings in BI.
I just set up my new PC and can finally record all my cams continuously. I thought I had them set up properly, but have a few questions.

First off, using a 4TB HGST HDD just for BI clips
I have 6 Dahua cams, at 15fps. Will be installing 3 or 4 more as time permits.
Set to record continuous
Profile A to flag and push notifications
Profile B to flag only

1)What file formats are optimal? I am currently using BVR/FLAC/Direct-to-Disc.
I guess the benefits are that I can read while writing. If I need to save a clip, do I just convert that single portion/clip?

2)What settings do I need to enable/disable in order to record for X hours, then start a new clip, to fill the HDD. Then I suppose. it would automatically re-write the oldest? Or I could go in and review/delete?
Currently, in BI, I'm only showing a few hours and it's barely even dinged the HDD over the past few days - clearly something isn't set properly

3) I notice BI is still writing BVR and MP4. files to my SSD. Is this why BI isn't showing any recording from earlier? Are they archiving onto my SSD?
How do I stop it from writing to the SSD, and also get them to be viewed in the BI GUI?

Sorry for the newb questions. And thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a little overwhelmed with all the settings in BI.
I just set up my new PC and can finally record all my cams continuously. I thought I had them set up properly, but have a few questions.

First off, using a 4TB HGST HDD just for BI clips
I have 6 Dahua cams, at 15fps. Will be installing 3 or 4 more as time permits.
Set to record continuous
Profile A to flag and push notifications
Profile B to flag only

1)What file formats are optimal? I am currently using BVR/FLAC/Direct-to-Disc.
I guess the benefits are that I can read while writing. If I need to save a clip, do I just convert that single portion/clip?

2)What settings do I need to enable/disable in order to record for X hours, then start a new clip, to fill the HDD. Then I suppose. it would automatically re-write the oldest? Or I could go in and review/delete?
Currently, in BI, I'm only showing a few hours and it's barely even dinged the HDD over the past few days - clearly something isn't set properly

3) I notice BI is still writing BVR and MP4. files to my SSD. Is this why BI isn't showing any recording from earlier? Are they archiving onto my SSD?
How do I stop it from writing to the SSD, and also get them to be viewed in the BI GUI?

Sorry for the newb questions. And thanks in advance.

See the video on clips and archiving. You likely have the default 10gb for new and 20gb for stored which is nothing. Ensure you have the cameras set to continuous, NOT trigger+continuous.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See the video on clips and archiving. You likely have the default 10gb for new and 20gb for stored which is nothing. Ensure you have the cameras set to continuous, NOT trigger+continuous.
Thanks.

So here's the question of all time... Where DO I find the video?

Actually here's the real question of all time - Where is the BI Wiki? I always see it referenced, but can never find it. So I always feel like a jerk when I have a question that's probably quite basic.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.

So here's the question of all time... Where DO I find the video?

Actually here's the real question of all time - Where is the BI Wiki? I always see it referenced, but can never find it. So I always feel like a jerk when I have a question that's probably quite basic.
The wiki is at the top of the page.
The videos are a sticky here Blue Iris