Need help with DDNS

CedarTree

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi - I have Comast and since they sometimes change IPs, I've set up an account with no-ip so I can "name" the ip address. When I look at the BI iPhone app, I'm not sure what to put in for the WAN? Right now it defaults to the Comcast numerical IP. How can I put in the alpha name? Also, I have a Unifi VPN setup - so I'm thinking maybe I don't even need a noip account anymore, right? In other words, I can see my cameras on my phone without using the WAN address, just the LAN, and with Wifi turned off on my phone, but with VPN turned on!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using a VPN, then you put the LAN address in for the WAN, so the WAN and LAN are both your private IP LAN, so what you are seeing is accurate.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi - I have Comast and since they sometimes change IPs, I've set up an account with no-ip so I can "name" the ip address. When I look at the BI iPhone app, I'm not sure what to put in for the WAN? Right now it defaults to the Comcast numerical IP. How can I put in the alpha name? Also, I have a Unifi VPN setup - so I'm thinking maybe I don't even need a noip account anymore, right? In other words, I can see my cameras on my phone without using the WAN address, just the LAN, and with Wifi turned off on my phone, but with VPN turned on!
You will still need some sort of DDNS service so that you can hit your vpn when your ip changes.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... I've set up an account with no-ip so I can "name" the ip address.
He already has a no-ip account set-up. As @wittaj mentioned, you will continue to use your LAN IP in the config of BI app on your mobile device.

You VPN setup on your mobile device should point to the no-ip dns name you created.