Need help with multiple access points

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations on a access point (p2p) from my brother-in laws main farm (starlink Internet) to 3 different buildings on his other farm(house, greenhouse, bunk house) . the line of sight distances across the field are all between 1200-1600 ft. Is this possible? and what equipment would you recommend? internet speed is a average of 100Mbps. Some times its 200 other times its 80. Thanks in advance!!
Screenshot 2023-01-24 210308.png

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
If these houses can be linked together via ethernet then you only have to have a single wifi link between the two closest properties.
This would be possible for the 2 buildings beside each other, which would eliminate 1 building. But from the house to the barn not so easy.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you think of tp link? Would this work?
Point this across the field to house.
And a couple of these on the farm buildings and house.

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suppose the TP-Link devices would work. It all depends on your intended uses at each location and whether or not you also want WiFi on the farm field.
Ubiquiti's NS-5AC-US Nanostations, for example, would be for establishing a point-to-point link only...they are not traditional WiFi access points but can tie into other network infrastructure at each location.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious about the appropriate spacing between access points in a home?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently the the EAP610 has a max of 300meters on 5Ghz band. I am hoping it will cover most of the Farm area needed. The area in blue is around 150-200 Metres radius. My plan is to mount the receiving CPE710 to a pole with a EAP610 on the same pole, broadcasting wifi. Hopefully this works:idk:. Otherwise I can always add another EAP somewhere mid Farm and mesh them.
713ABAE7-A170-471F-9E69-0C6FD3F4D8C0.png

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if all this wifi is a hazard to your health? Cancer etc etc? My wife always puts our phones on airplane mode at night in bed. I recently put a ring alarm keypad in our bedroom upstairs, and now she is concerned about that. :idk:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if all this wifi is a hazard to your health? Cancer etc etc? My wife always puts our phones on airplane mode at night in bed. I recently put a ring alarm keypad in our bedroom upstairs, and now she is concerned about that. :idk:
I'd be more concerned about my wife in bed switching her phone ringer on and off and revving up vibrator mode.....:highfive:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If it helps your wife sleep better, let her know that ring alarm uses Zwave to communicate between the keypad to the base station. Zwave is thousands of times less powerful than cell phones....

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Question. if the main router/modem on the farms -TX side is 192.168.1.1 gateway can I use 192.168.0.254 TX (AP)and 192.168.0.253 RX (client) for the tp link CPE's? or does it have to be eg. 192.168.1.254 ...? Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question. if the main router/modem on the farms -TX side is 192.168.1.1 gateway can I use 192.168.0.254 TX (AP)and 192.168.0.253 RX (client) for the tp link CPE's? or does it have to be eg. 192.168.1.254 ...? Thanks!
Yes, you can...they will work but...

Personally I like them being in the same subnet so that if there's an issue with the link I can, without having to change the subnet of the PC I'm sitting at, log into the AP or the client and make changes, look at antenna alignment, signal strength, etc.

IOW, if I can log into the AP that's near my PC but can NOT log into the client that's remote, then the link is down and I'll know that likely I'll need to go out to the remote site to see what's wrong. When the link is up you can log into everything at the remote site that has a webGUI, as the link is pretty much like having a CAT-5e cable between the 2 points as far as data is concerned and it's essentially all in the same LAN, same network subnet.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you can...they will work but...

Personally I like them being in the same subnet so that if there's an issue with the link I can, without having to change the subnet of the PC I'm sitting at, log into the AP or the client and make changes, look at antenna alignment, signal strength, etc.

IOW, if I can log into the AP that's near my PC but can NOT log into the client that's remote, then the link is down and I'll know that likely I'll need to go out to the remote site to see what's wrong. When the link is up you can log into everything at the remote site that has a webGUI, as the link is pretty much like having a CAT-5e cable between the 2 points as far as data is concerned and it's essentially all in the same LAN, same network subnet.
Thank-you! @TonyR