Need help with PC to run BI

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I'm thinking about purchasing a PC preferably one of the really tiny ones such as a NUC. I'm just not sure if they are fast enough to run Blue Iris effectively. Can any of you recommend me a PC that can run blue iris effectively?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. If your camera load is very light, you can do it with a NUC, but it is not ideal.

The fastest i5 NUC is probably this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SD9ISIQ
It costs $370, but does not come with RAM, a disk, or Windows license. The CPU scores 3661.

The fastest NUC altogether is, I believe, this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4A5ETW
It costs about $570, and also does not come with RAM, a disk, or Windows license. The CPU scores 5027.

By increasing size and power consumption, you can have this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-USDT-Core-i5-4590-3-0-GHz-4-GB-DDR3-500-GB-HDD-Win-8-1-/121575069855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e70589f
It costs $350, and comes with everything: memory, disk, and Windows license, not to mention a 3 year warranty. It is very small by desktop PC standards. The CPU scores 7249.

If you increase the price to $500 or so, you can get a refurbished Dell system with an i7-4790 CPU that scores 10086 and otherwise is similar in size and specs to the HP system I linked above. This requires the system to be on sale and purchased with a coupon code from the Dell business outlet.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup. If your camera load is very light, you can do it with a NUC, but it is not ideal.

The fastest i5 NUC is probably this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SD9ISIQ
It costs $370, but does not come with RAM, a disk, or Windows license. The CPU scores 3661.

The fastest NUC altogether is, I believe, this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V4A5ETW
It costs about $570, and also does not come with RAM, a disk, or Windows license. The CPU scores 5027.

By increasing size and power consumption, you can have this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-USDT-Core-i5-4590-3-0-GHz-4-GB-DDR3-500-GB-HDD-Win-8-1-/121575069855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e70589f
It costs $350, and comes with everything: memory, disk, and Windows license, not to mention a 3 year warranty. It is very small by desktop PC standards. The CPU scores 7249.

If you increase the price to $500 or so, you can get a refurbished Dell system with an i7-4790 CPU that scores 10086 and otherwise is similar in size and specs to the HP system I linked above. This requires the system to be on sale and purchased with a coupon code from the Dell business outlet.
Awesome thank you guys for your help!

Thanks for this information. I would be willing to increase my budget to $500 and purchase that dell system. That's a good deal. So how would I be able to get it at that price, so I have to keep checking the dell business outlet store?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dell posts notice of their sales to https://twitter.com/delloutlet

The best deal I'm seeing right now is from this page for the OptiPlex 7000 Series Desktops: http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/28/campaigns/gdo_commercial_sale?c=us&l=en&s=dfb&dgc=SM&cid=287150&lid=5519271

Coupon code:
OPTI7000

But right now the best deal I'm seeing is

Minus $350 with the code for a price of $429 plus tax. Unbelievable. Of course systems like this go in and out of stock throughout the day so you have to pounce on the good ones.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To find that specific system, you'd go to the dell.com link above, click Shop Now under the OptiPlex 7000 Series Desktops banner, and then on the left side check the box labeled 4th Gen Intel Core i7

That specific box is a bit short on RAM but has a larger HDD to make up for it and it is Small Form Factor which is evidently the smallest that the Optiplex 7000 series gets. The 9000 series has an Ultra small form factor which is smaller yet, but not on sale at this time. 4 GB of RAM is plenty unless you are going to run 20+ cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome thank you guys for your help!

Thanks for this information. I would be willing to increase my budget to $500 and purchase that dell system. That's a good deal. So how would I be able to get it at that price, so I have to keep checking the dell business outlet store?
Dell posts their sales via twitter..dell outlet...https://twitter.com/delloutlet
Look for the optiplex business machines...they have a sale now but there are no i7's..they have these sales monthly.
EDIT: BP found the 7020's..that is a steal..
The student has become the master :)

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow you guys are awesome. Thanks for sending me that link, definitely a really good deal. I just built a custom one for triple that cost. Was looking for a computer just to run my cams. So you said I can just check their Twitter page for these deals and coupon codes? I would probably want to buy one in the near future. Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow you guys are awesome. Thanks for sending me that link, definitely a really good deal. I just built a custom one for triple that cost. Was looking for a computer just to run my cams. So you said I can just check their Twitter page for these deals and coupon codes? I would probably want to buy one in the near future. Thanks again!
yes, you can follow them on twitter...another great site is slickdeals.com which will let you setup alerts for specific deals..

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up going with the same system bp2008 suggested but with 16 GB Ram. it was $10 more then the 8 GB Ram so I figured why not. Paid little under $600 w/ tax, thought it was a good deal? Would it be able to run about 10 cameras with BI, with about how much CPU usage? I am only running 2 right now but eventually will be expanding to about 10 maybe 15 max.

Thanks again for your guy's help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up going with the same system bp2008 suggested but with 16 GB Ram. it was $10 more then the 8 GB Ram so I figured why not. Paid little under $600 w/ tax, thought it was a good deal? Would it be able to run about 10 cameras with BI, with about how much CPU usage? I am only running 2 right now but eventually will be expanding to about 10 maybe 15 max.

Thanks again for your guy's help.
This is dependent on the megapixel count of the cameras..

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
This is dependent on the megapixel count of the cameras..
Probably 3. I am looking at costco.com and seeing they have deals for around the same price for new PCs around the same price or slightly more with the same specs and these are brand new. Not sure I got such a good deal after all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably 3. I am looking at costco.com and seeing they have deals for around the same price for new PCs around the same price or slightly more with the same specs and these are brand new. Not sure I got such a good deal after all.
The system bp linked to would have been about 465 with tax depending on where you live..not sure how yours got to 600..regardless, these systems are as good as new...they come with a 3 year next business day warranty. They are built better an easier to service than the home systems. The xps systems at costco also include video cards, which is not a good idea on a 24/7 system..there is no benefit to BI. Call them for installation media and they will ship you a usb drive overnight! Try that with a dell home system..I would take an outlet optiplex anyday!...
You are looking at about 40 percent utilization running 10x3mp camera direct to disk...some settings will vary this number...

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
The system bp linked to would have been about 465 with tax depending on where you live..not sure how yours got to 600..regardless, these systems are as good as new...they come with a 3 year next business day warranty. They are built better an easier to service than the home systems. The xps systems at costco also include video cards, which is not a good idea on a 24/7 system..there is no benefit to BI. Call them for installation media and they will ship you a usb drive overnight! Try that with a dell home system..I would take an outlet optiplex anyday!...
You are looking at about 40 percent utilization running 10x3mp camera direct to disk...some settings will vary this number...
Awesome, thinking about canceling my order and waiting for the one to be available that bp suggested. Not sure that I really need 16 gb of ram for the extra $140. Would 4 GB be enough to run 10 1080p (prob hikvision) cams or so at 3 mp?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thinking about canceling my order and waiting for the one to be available that bp suggested. Not sure that I really need 16 gb of ram for the extra $140. Would 4 GB be enough to run 10 1080p (prob hikvision) cams or so at 3 mp?
4gb can certainly run 20mp or 30mp depending on your settings i have 24mp using under 1.5gb...16gb is not worth 140 though as you can just pick up another 4gb stick for cheap...or find a system with 8..blue iris will never come close to even using 8..

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
4gb can certainly run 20mp or 30mp depending on your settings i have 24mp using under 1.5gb...16gb is not worth 140 though as you can just pick up another 4gb stick for cheap...or find a system with 8..blue iris will never come close to even using 8..
Yeah alright I took your advice and canceled my order. Going to hope I can find the same deal bp posted earlier before the sale ends Monday.

With recording have you added internal HDs into the system and record directly to the drives inside or record to external HDs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah alright I took your advice and canceled my order. Going to hope I can find the same deal bp posted earlier before the sale ends Monday.

With recording have you added internal HDs into the system and record directly to the drives inside or record to external HDs?
Not sure if they add more systems during a sale or not, you may have to wait for the next one...
You can record to internal drives, external drives (usb, esata) or NAS...My preference is always internal drives..usb drives sometimes "disconnect"..
If you get a small form factor remember that there is generally only room for a single 3.5 drive and possible one 2.5 drive..ultra slims usually on hold a single 2.5 drive..if you want to add more than one drive consider a tower..

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if they add more systems during a sale or not, you may have to wait for the next one...
You can record to internal drives, external drives (usb, esata) or NAS...My preference is always internal drives..usb drives sometimes "disconnect"..
If you get a small form factor remember that there is generally only room for a single 3.5 drive and possible one 2.5 drive..ultra slims usually on hold a single 2.5 drive..if you want to add more than one drive consider a tower..
Thanks for that. Which internal HD do you suggest? I'm thinking either WD purple surveillance drives or WD Black drives, maybe even the red nas drives.