Need help with schedules/profiles

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the profile and schedule options. For simplicity sake, my wife and I have been using the blue iris widget on our smart phones to arm and disarm the cameras inside the home as we come and go.

This worked well until I added a 3rd camera to the garage. I would like to keep the simplicity of arming/disarming the system as we come and go but would like to have the camera in the garage also record at night when we are sleeping at all times independent of the "traffic light" status.

I'm sure there is probably a simple way to do this but I am not sure what needs to be done.

I tried just going into the camera properties and tried selecting the "override global schedules" option but that didn't seem to work.

Any help would be great.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jeremy Meyer Welcome to the forum...the best way to do this is to create two profiles. 1 where all three cameras are recording and the other where only the garage is recording..then manually switch between profiles...when you change profiles make sure you double tap the profile so it set to hold not temp OR go to the global schedule and set the temp profile time to a really high number so basically turn it into a hold...let us know if you need help working with profiles an setup..

Reaction score
@Jeremy MeyerWelcome to the forum...the best way to do this is to create two profiles. 1 where all three cameras are recording and the other where only the garage is recording..then manually switch between profiles...when you change profiles make sure you double tap the profile so it set to hold not temp OR go to the global schedule and set the temp profile time to a really high number so basically turn it into a hold...let us know if you need help working with profiles an setup..

So by making the 2 profiles instead of switching the system to active/deactive with the "traffic light" I am just switching profiles?

I guess I don't understand.

To be clear, I want the garage cam to trigger/record at all times regardless of "traffic light" status if possible. If not, I guess I need more help setting up the profiles like you are describing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So by making the 2 profiles instead of switching the system to active/deactive with the "traffic light" I am just switching profiles?

I guess I don't understand.

To be clear, I want the garage cam to trigger/record at all times regardless of "traffic light" status if possible. If not, I guess I need more help setting up the profiles like you are describing.
Yes, You will no longer need to use the traffic light...you will switch using the profiles...
Basically for all three cameras, you will need to setup profile 2 from the dropdown menu...make sure to set the proper settings for, recording, motion, alerts for the garage camera....it should all be set the same as the current settings...for the cams you do not wish to record, disable motion detection and in the record tab set it to manual...

Reaction score
Yes, You will no longer need to use the traffic light...you will switch using the profiles...
Basically for all three cameras, you will need to setup profile 2 from the dropdown menu...make sure to set the proper settings for, recording, motion, alerts for the garage camera....it should all be set the same as the current settings...for the cams you do not wish to record, disable motion detection and in the record tab set it to manual...
Ok, so I think I get it.

I have 2 profiles.

Profile 1 =Only Garage Record
Profile 2 =All Cameras Record

So while we are home we run Profile 1.

When we leave we switch to Profile 2.

Profile 1 has the home cameras set to not trigger or record but garage is set.
Profile 2 has all cameras set to trigger and record

I think I've got it. It seems so easy now.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I get it.

I have 2 profiles.

Profile 1 =Only Garage Record
Profile 2 =All Cameras Record

So while we are home we run Profile 1.

When we leave we switch to Profile 2.

Profile 1 has the home cameras set to not trigger or record but garage is set.
Profile 2 has all cameras set to trigger and record
exactly...but since you have profile 1 already set the way to record all, simply make profile 2 the garage only...

Reaction score
exactly...but since you have profile 1 already set the way to record all, simply make profile 2 the garage only...

Noticed my Push notifications weren't working. Then I found the geofence settings! So with geofence I don't even need to change the profiles because it will do it automatically with my phone?!?

That's a pretty sweet feature.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Noticed my Push notifications weren't working. Then I found the geofence settings! So with geofence I don't even need to change the profiles because it will do it automatically with my phone?!?

That's a pretty sweet feature.
Yes...if you made changes to the profile, you need to make sure to add alerts to your new profile..each profile as distinct alert setting for each camera.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help fenderman!

So now I have the profiles set I really want to get the geofencing working.

Samsung Galaxy S5: Location=enabled (high accuracy mode)
BI app settings: Geofence update notifications:ON Geofence radius 3m
BI server mobile settings: Enter Geofence: Set Profile 1 and Push notification both selected Exit Geofence: Set Profile 2 amd Push notification selected

When I leave the area I don't get a push notification nor does the profile change.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
So I left home for about 30 minutes. I got nearly to my driveway on the way back before the geofence noticed I was away and sent me a push and changed profile. The weird thing is it didn't happen until I opened the BI app on my phone until it got the push.

I have been back home for nearly 10 minutes and it hasn't detected I am back yet. I just picked up my phone, logged out of the BI app and logged back in and instantly got the push.

Something seems weird here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I left home for about 30 minutes. I got nearly to my driveway on the way back before the geofence noticed I was away and sent me a push and changed profile.
I have been back home for nearly 10 minutes and it hasn't detected I am back yet.

Is it normal for this service to respond so slowly?
It shouldnt...post a screen shot of your geofence settings...also what is the geofence radius set to in the mobile app?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jeremy Meyer When you set the original geofence location, did you phone have good gps signal (outdoors)..or if you are using the server location, did you enter the proper coordinates in the schedule tab?
his may be a silly question but did you enter your proper coordinates into the schedule so the server knows where its located?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the geofence working great for use with 2 iPhones triggering a schedule change. I have noticed problems when I have made changes in the past (like a server upgrade and once a phone upgrade). The thing I noticed helped a ton is to leave the radius to the default of 50m and leave it alone. Sometimes it takes a few times leaving my home before it starts to "learn" my location and then works great. Not sure if the iPhone is different from Android in how the app gets location information soooo.

Another thing I noticed is that I use Waze to travel to and from work a lot. The days when I have Waze running the BI server gets location information VERY accurate, while other times when Waze is not running it is a little slower to respond. I get similar behavior with IFTTT triggers that use location also.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand the profiles but not the schedules. I have three cameras and three profiles with two schedules.

All three camera use the same profile but I rather the schedule be used based on two factors: if I am home or not. That is why I made a home and away schedule.

What I am not seeing is how does the cameras know which schedules to use? In the cam options it can pull a profile but not a schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the profiles but not the schedules. I have three cameras and three profiles with two schedules.

All three camera use the same profile but I rather the schedule be used based on two factors: if I am home or not. That is why I made a home and away schedule.

What I am not seeing is how does the cameras know which schedules to use? In the cam options it can pull a profile but not a schedule.

You dont want or need two schedules...use a single schedule..then set the profiles for home and away.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure I follow. If I want one scenario where I want the cameras to record 24/7. And another where I want the cameras to record in the morning and then not record for the rest of the day wouldn't that be done with schedules?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow. If I want one scenario where I want the cameras to record 24/7. And another where I want the cameras to record in the morning and then not record for the rest of the day wouldn't that be done with schedules?

It would be done with distinct profiles in the same schedule/preset...

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So how would I set home and away modes in that setup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So how would I set home and away modes in that setup?

Set one profile for away, the other for home..then apply the settings you want for each profile in the camera record/motion/alert tabs...
Simply select each profile in the drop down and apply the settings you want to be in effect that profile...