Need ideas for classroom monitoring cameras

Davedave

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry for asking what is probably a basic question, but I don't even know enough terminology to do a good search.

I need a two camera system at the back of my classroom to monitor the work my kids are doing on their laptops. If I go try to look at their machines, they have closed all contraband sites by the time I get there. I can't use the school wifi network. I do have a computer at the back of my classroom, and I have a 24" tv I could use at my desk ( front of classroom). And my phone, of course. Right now I make them pick up their desks and turn them around so I can monitor their work, but that gets tiresome because they have to turn them BACK around when I am teaching.

I will be paying for this system out of my own pocket, so less expensive options would be appreciated.

CCTV of some kind? Or can I make I wize cam work without internet access? I can set up a basic LAN with the computer at the back of the room, if that helps.

Thank you all so much for help. If you can just get me pointed in the right direction, that will help a lot.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm making an assumption this is a public school but, there may be some legal issues you should verify before going down this road. If the students are using the schools network, then someone should be able to monitor from that.

Davedave

n3wb
Reaction score
We have cameras in the hallways, and we are allowed to record without student or parent permission as long as recordings do not leave the classroom. There is no expectation of privacy since they are using school-owned laptops on a school-owned network.

Yes, the tech guys have the ability to monitor the kids' usage, but they won't. The kids love to waste time, even if it's on websites that aren't flagged by the school's content filter.

Thank you for your comments.

Reaction score
If you have a computer at the back of the classroom, how about something as simple as one or two good high-resolution webcams on cheap tripods connected to it? You can connect to the video stream at the front of the room and look through the cameras, or record the video feed on the computer.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with a PTZ as any fixed wide angle lens would result in seeing whole class, but you would not be able to see what is on the screen with any clarity.

Reaction score
I would go with a PTZ as any fixed wide angle lens would result in seeing whole class, but you would not be able to see what is on the screen with any clarity.
Maybe. But as long as you can tell that the student is not working on the assignment, that may be sufficient.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not knowing if there could be a legal issue, double check with Administration. If that is the case, it should be a ptz, one at each corner (back), since some screens will be block by the students body. Price wise, most Chinese low-end cameras could work, even operating as an stand-alone hot-spots, allowing you to connect directly to each camera without being log to the school lan (wifi from your pc or phone). If this is non-permanent installation, a tripod is a good alternative, but probably you will need to go a little higher. What about quick on/off anchor to the wall? They will think twice, Knowing that you are able to monitor. Personally, I don't care if my child's are monitored by the teacher. I actually do the same at home

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The better way to do this would be to directly monitor their screens from your computer. Will be difficult to do well using cameras as you're thinking.

I'm not sure what you can do there given school policy, systems, builds, etc. Or what to suggest specifically. But I know there are systems designed to do just what you want. As examples just to give you the general idea:

My daughter is a teacher and uses something similar in her classroom/across their district.

That's a better way to go if you can. May even have some capability to do now.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care if my child's are monitored by the teacher. I actually do the same at home
That's what we want you to think dad, in reality we are monitoring you HAHAHAhahahah LOL

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have them turn their desks around so that they are facing away from you.

If I had a teacher that tried monitoring my surfing the web, I'd just block my screen, tip it downwards a bit or get a privacy screen. The kids will outwit you on this one, give up and accept it. If you still want cameras, I'd get a cheap wifi PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) and then turn your cellphone into a hotspot so that the wifi cams can use that network. The cheap wifi PTZ cams are all over amazon for ~$100 - 150 each. Their motors are a bit noisy though - maybe that's a good thing as the kids will hear them moving LOL...... I know because I have three of these cams.

Exaample 1
Example 2

Good luck, but if I was a student of yours I'd view it as a challenge to outsmart the teacher.

.... I don't feel tardy...... Claaaaaaaaaaaassssssss Dismiiiiiiiiiiiissed.......... RIP Eddie Van Halen

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
As @bradner stated above, if you use your smartphone as a hot spot you could get a pair of cheap WIFI cams such as the one below. It will not optically zoom, but will pan and tilt. You would just need to get it close enough to see the screen. They also have a 4MP version that is more expensive. Not sure how well an IP cam will replicate a computer screen though. I remember a thread or two here that asked about that.

Reaction score
We have cameras in the hallways, and we are allowed to record without student or parent permission as long as recordings do not leave the classroom. There is no expectation of privacy since they are using school-owned laptops on a school-owned network.
Are the students allowed to take the laptops home? Or do they stay in the classroom? Because if it is the latter, then I think that @Mike A. 's suggestion of remotely monitoring their computer screens would be the way to go. There's no way the students could hide it from you. But if they can take the laptops home, that's out.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Davedave

I'd try out what bradner suggests... the way to solve this is to walk can be more hands on with the students - and find ways for them to work in competitive teams..

Davedave

n3wb
Reaction score

If I had a teacher that tried monitoring my surfing the web, I'd just block my screen, tip it downwards a bit or get a privacy screen. The kids will outwit you on this one, give up and accept it. If you still want cameras, I'd get a cheap wifi PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) and then turn your cellphone into a hotspot so that the wifi cams can use that network. The cheap wifi PTZ cams are all over amazon for ~$100 - 150 each. Their motors are a bit noisy though - maybe that's a good thing as the kids will hear them moving LOL...... I know because I have three of these cams.

Exaample 1
Example 2

Good luck, but if I was a student of yours I'd view it as a challenge to outsmart the teacher.

.... I don't feel tardy...... Claaaaaaaaaaaassssssss Dismiiiiiiiiiiiissed.......... RIP Eddie Van Halen

I've been having them turn the desks, and that does work, but it's really awkward because I break up my time between lecture and work several times a class period (like 4 times in 90 minutes). That's a lot of turning desks.

I'm way smarter than the kids, and I have the trump card. If I did implement a camera system, I'd simply tell them that any attempt to hide their screen from the camera is an immediate admission of guilt and therefore subject to discipline. I've done that in the past when I let them use their cell phones in class. It stays flat on the desk or it's a D-hall.

We've been discouraged from walking up and down the rows in class since Covid. If I spend more than 15 minutes within 6 ft of a student (within a 24 hr period), we have been "exposed" to each other and might be subject to a 14 day quarantine if someone has symptoms. I have to mostly sit at my desk or teach from my podium next to my desk. It sucks, but it is what it is.

After doing a little more research, it would be easier to have a software option for monitoring, and it does exist, but it will cost about $5 per computer, per year. For our school that ends up being $2K per year, plus tech guy time to install it on 400+ chromebooks. That's most likely a non-starter. I'll pitch it to the big guy with the cameras as a cheaper alternative.

Thanks so much for the help. It REALLY has helped me.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a thought... Can you operate the class from the back as they look forward at a projector screen with live feed from you? This allowing you to see their computer screens? If you had to purchase a projector i think it would be significantly less expense.

Davedave

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 75" smart TV at the front of the room. It would be a little difficult to teach from the back because I have my workbench, 3d printer, and CNC router back there, but I'll think on it and see if I could make it work.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the IT department knew what they were doing, there wouldn't be any chance of them going to un-approved websites.

But, as I have a nephew that is in IT and has helped out at some of the public schools, it's obvious most school systems don't have an IT department that knows or cares much.

Heck, I'm no IT guy, but I was able to come up with a way to keep my employees from accessing anything I didn't want them to.