need monitored home security using zwave

FiddlerMD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am doing a bunch of sensors in my new house. I have several door sensors, floor, fire all will be going to vera plus.
i also want a monitored alarm system.
I used to use AlarmRelay in the past and am very happy with their service.
They sell the Helix system which seems like it might do the trick but its' very hard to find any good reviews of it and it seems like it would take over from the Vera Plus .. which I don't want.
Ideally, all I want is some sort of gateway to a monitoring company where I could send various alarm codes and they would call me and do the whole "password verification" and call list if I don't pick up.. up to finally dispatching police/fire/etc if necessary.
Any recommendations?

Mittim33

n3wb
Reaction score
I was just looking at a website who claims to do just what you are asking for. It’s called geoarm. I am going to call them today to see if it seems legit or not. They show that they offer all different kinds of monitoring. Does your panel control the Z-wave or do you have a hub? I install monitored alarm systems but I know there is a huge market for self monitored if people had the right software or apps.

FiddlerMD

n3wb
Reaction score
i have a hub (since originally writing this post, I've switched from Vera to Hubitat). I would imagine it would be pretty simple to integrate some software for monitoring, so just a matter of finding someone who does it. Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

Mittim33

n3wb
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Samsung smart things and ADT security monitoring partnership. Unfortunately you can’t use your existing security sensors for the monitoring part. The smart things connected devices do not set off the alarm. Only the ADT branded sensors that run off the same hub. It’s actually not a horrible deal if you don’t already have a ton of sensors. They have a ton of integrated devices and the hub is only $99. You can get alerts without monitoring also which a lot of people like. It works with z-wave devices and many others. With say z-wave door locks you can make the security system turn off when it unlocks and then arm once locked. Or set the door to lock after you arm the system. Yes it gives you 30 or 45 seconds to get out for away mode so you don’t get locked in. There are so many automations with integrated z-wave devices on the pulse app for current ADT customers that I can make it so they never even know they have an alarm. I’m going to call that other place right now. I got caught up reading and researching. Lol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Samsung smart things and ADT security monitoring partnership. Unfortunately you can’t use your existing security sensors for the monitoring part. The smart things connected devices do not set off the alarm. Only the ADT branded sensors that run off the same hub. It’s actually not a horrible deal if you don’t already have a ton of sensors. They have a ton of integrated devices and the hub is only $99. You can get alerts without monitoring also which a lot of people like. It works with z-wave devices and many others. With say z-wave door locks you can make the security system turn off when it unlocks and then arm once locked. Or set the door to lock after you arm the system. Yes it gives you 30 or 45 seconds to get out for away mode so you don’t get locked in. There are so many automations with integrated z-wave devices on the pulse app for current ADT customers that I can make it so they never even know they have an alarm. I’m going to call that other place right now. I got caught up reading and researching. Lol
ADT always was and always will be a horrible deal. They are scammers. Only a fool would deal with ADT. It makes me smile when i see they are hurting and have to lower prices as a result.
Ring alarm is working on more zwave integration and will soon be able to be armed/disarmed using a zwave lock. Though arming the system when you lock the door makes no sense as the system as no idea if anyone else is still home.

How much is the monitoring with ring? 8.33 PER MONTH. ADT can take their insane monthly fees and shove it. ADT deserves to go down hard.
Integrating Z-Wave Door Locks with Your Ring Alarm

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ADT always was and always will be a horrible deal. They are scammers. Only a fool would deal with ADT. It makes me smile when i see they are hurting and have to lower prices as a result.
Ring alarm is working on more zwave integration and will soon be able to be armed/disarmed using a zwave lock. Though arming the system when you lock the door makes no sense as the system as no idea if anyone else is still home.

How much is the monitoring with ring? 8.33 PER MONTH. ADT can take their insane monthly fees and shove it. ADT deserves to go down hard.
Integrating Z-Wave Door Locks with Your Ring Alarm
Neighbors have had ADT for about a year I believe, they were paying some rediculas monthly fee of like $49, that included Cell backup.
She just told me that ADT was going to raise their rate to $59. She said shove it and canceled.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's best to get a DSC alarm panel and bridge it to the vera with an Envisalink EVL4. This way, you will rely on the alarm panel for security but you can also use the sensors to trigger your vera for automation. Geoarm and I believe AlarmRelay will support DSC panels since they are the standard.

Vera is good, but not reliable enough for security. You'll wind up getting lots of false positives, slow alerts, downtime, or missed triggers. DSC's sensors have been around forever and they're cheaper, faster, more reliable. Their flood, CO, smoke, hardwired motion, wireless door/window sensors are excellent (wireless motion is the exception since they have a built-in delay to avoid false trips).

Edit: Oops, didn't see the timestamp. Nevermind. The same info still applies now though.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I run home assistant with zwave contact switches and motion sensors, works great. I self monitor, in my city the monitoring company has to verify before they even call the police. When the state of the alarm panel changes me and my wife get a notification on our phones. If the system is triggered we would both have to miss it. I also keep my HA dashboard and BI page up on a monitor at work all day. I can also use tasker to crank the volume up on my phone to max and blast a siren if the system is triggered. Paying someone to monitor your system is limited and old school. I've got so many options for alerting it's not even funny. I can verify the break in myself and call 911 on my own. If there is a false alarm I don't have to deal with some company bitching at me.