Need new computer for Blue Iris v4

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman: Many thanks for this incredibly speedy reply to my very first post. I was actually just looking at those but they are $850-950 on the Dell site. Glad to hear that BI is working well for you. I will check out the Dell outlet (as I have before) and see if something jumps out at me. By the way, I have my original 61' Strat sitting right here next to me (just in case you are THAT kind of Fenderman :)
Yes i am that kind of fenderman...you need to follow the outlet twitter account for their huge twice monthly sales...you will find one for 500 easy...I have over 20 machines running blue iris. Its superb.
If you dont want to wait for a sale...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlet-New-Dell-Optiplex-9020-SFF-i7-4790-4GB-500GB-Win-8-Home-3-Year-Warranty-/161866902072?hash=item25b004ea38:g:BZgAAOSwA4dWJdYK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-9020-MiniTower-Latest-Haswell-Intel-i7-4790-16GB-Ram-1TB-HardDrive-/262109432289?hash=item3d06f089e1:g:FDgAAOSwqu9VQYNd
you will need to pop another stick of ram in the first.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This gets me off to a good start. RAM is cheap enough these days so no big deal there. I did see that the second link you listed has 16 GB of RAM and 1TB drive. Is there any issue with running an NAS drive with BI?

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so many guitars so little time :) I need a good security system so that I can keep an eye on them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This gets me off to a good start. RAM is cheap enough these days so no big deal there. I did see that the second link you listed has 16 GB of RAM and 1TB drive. Is there any issue with running an NAS drive with BI?
The second system is a tower vs SFF in the first, tower is my preference because you can add additional local drives if you wish..others like to smaller units so they can tuck them away.
Blue iris will allow you to record locally, nas or both.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fenderman. Thanks for this clarification. There is one thing regarding NVRs / IP Cam that I have always found curious: Why is it that some companies (like Axis and some others) charge a per-camera license fee of 50-100 bucks, yet BI does not have to abide by this same rule? What are those guys giving their customers for all of this additional expense?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman. Thanks for this clarification. There is one thing regarding NVRs / IP Cam that I have always found curious: Why is it that some companies (like Axis and some others) charge a per-camera license fee of 50-100 bucks, yet BI does not have to abide by this same rule? What are those guys giving their customers for all of this additional expense?
Blue iris is developed by a one person. There is very little overhead. The some other packages have a significant advantage, they can run on much weaker systems and utilize in camera motion detection. Blue iris is addressing this with hardware acceleration though I have no idea how much benefit it will provide. A new client app is also planned so that server and client can be split.
Some other vms have more advanced search options.
To me the 100 dollar per camera is insane. Many of the 50 dollar licenses dont include basic functions like two way audio, recording to nas, or multiple client connections...
Remember that blue iris is not plug and play, there is a learning curve...once you get the hang of it, its fantastic...

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I just ordered this unit from the same guy that you had linked me to previously. It has 16BG Ram and a 2TB drive for $590: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l5919/7?euid=74338cbc29764458a8381c4c65f984b6&loc=http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewPaymentStatus&transId=1710057160016&itemId=262111046947&qu=1&exe=13342&ext=33945&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

Now I just have to find the smartest way to get my copy of BI. Should I just get it from Amazon? By the way, I really appreciate your help and the warm welcome. Its nice to know that there is a place to go if I get stumped with my setup. Pete

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@CDAPete If you got the machine with the r7 graphics card, I would pull it because of the power consumption/heat.....you might want to wait until the hardware acceleration is implemented and test the performance benefit if any using the card vs. intel HD .
I would buy blue iris from the developer. http://blueirissoftware.com
Whatever you do, dont buy from foscam, that company does not deserve anyone's business.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fenderman, I didn't see any reference to which graphic card was included. I hope I didn't buy the wrong machine. The specs were virtually the same as the one you linked me to other than more ram and more HD space. Here is what he provided for details:

System specs: Wins 7 64bit Pro COA intact with Dell case
3.6ghz max turbo 4.0ghz Latest Intel Haswell 4th Gen i7 4790 with HyperThreading (Total 8cores will show)
2x 8GB (total 16GB)
Intel HD 4600
1x DVD Write
1x DVD read
1TB OS installed hard drive
1TB Storage Drive
Extra Intel Gigabit network card (Total 2)
Dell keyboard and Mouse
Whisper quiet when power on. Wins 7 64bit Pro will be restored to its like-new state.

Am I going to have to run right out and buy a different graphics card to make this work? Also, I agree with you regarding Foscam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, I didn't see any reference to which graphic card was included. I hope I didn't buy the wrong machine. The specs were virtually the same as the one you linked me to other than more ram and more HD space. Here is what he provided for details:

System specs: Wins 7 64bit Pro COA intact with Dell case
3.6ghz max turbo 4.0ghz Latest Intel Haswell 4th Gen i7 4790 with HyperThreading (Total 8cores will show)
2x 8GB (total 16GB)
Intel HD 4600
1x DVD Write
1x DVD read
1TB OS installed hard drive
1TB Storage Drive
Extra Intel Gigabit network card (Total 2)
Dell keyboard and Mouse
Whisper quiet when power on. Wins 7 64bit Pro will be restored to its like-new state.

Am I going to have to run right out and buy a different graphics card to make this work?
That unit is perfect..the hd4600 is more than adequate...He had another unit with an r7 card...I prefer hd graphics for power consumption purposes. The new hardware acceleration is apparently optimized for nvidia but should work just fine with hd graphics..regardless, this system can handle your load even with no hardware acceleration or additional cards..

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're correct, there was a difference in the 2 units. I somehow missed that. He wrote back to me to state the following:

The video card is integrated on the Haswell CPU which is the HD4600, comparable to AMD HD5770, pretty good. It has 2x Display Ports and 1x Blue VGA outputs.

I will order BI directly from the blueirissoftware.com link you provided. I have a new 16 channel Netgear POE hub coming today (8 ports w.POE / 8 without):
NETGEAR ProSAFE FS116PNA 16-Port Fast Ethernet Switch with 8 PoE Ports 70w (FS116PNA) so I should be in pretty good shape very soon.

Thanks again for all of your help!

That unit is perfect..the hd4600 is more than adequate...He had another unit with an r7 card...I prefer hd graphics for power consumption purposes. The new hardware acceleration is apparently optimized for nvidia but should work just fine with hd graphics..regardless, this system can handle your load even with no hardware acceleration or additional cards..