need opinion on what size lens is this Hikvision camera

luisma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,
First post but been reading for a while, I need some opinions from those with much more knowledge than I as to what you think the size of the lens this Hikvision camera has (picture on the right). The box says it's 4mm but right besides the Hikvision model number (DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mm) I have a old Dahua 1.3 mp with a 3.6mm lens (picture on the left).
As you can clearly see from comparing both pics the Hikvision has a much narrower field of view than the 3.6mm dahua camera with only.40 difference between the two.
Can it be possible that the Hikvision camera is a 6mm or bigger although the box says 4mm?
Yours thoughts are welcome and your experience too.

TIA

Luis

image.pngimage.png

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to my trusty lens calculator and assuming your Hik is 3mp and your Dahua has a 1/3 sensor, Your Hik has a 64 degree field of view and your Dahua a 71 degree field of view.

In terms of metres that mean your field of view is 900mm (3ft) wider on the Dahua at 5m (16.33ft).

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@SyconsciousAu, Pretty much spot on. Off the top of my head Dahua will be 70ish and Hik is 60ish.

6mm is much more zoomed in that that. Really for cameras on the 2nd floor of your properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

luisma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to both you for your response. Here is my next question if you Don't mind answering.
I would like to put a 2MP PTZ 20X with autotracking (I would not mind a smaller zoom than 20x but not too many manufacturers make them smaller than 20x with autotracking) most of the PTZ's bring from 4.7 to 5.1mm lens to start with, I would like to take off both of those cameras in the front of my house and install the PTZ, my big concern with the 4.7mm lens is that it wouldn't be big enough to capture most of the front of the house and autotrack cars or subjects that cross in front of the house.
Any opinion on installing a PTZ with a 4.7mm lens to overview what both cameras do now?

thanks again

Luis

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not worth it in my opinion. Better to have more fixed cameras than an auto-tracking one with the distances you are looking to record.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Del Boy is spot on. Have fixed cameras monitoring where you NEED things monitored in a specific place, particularly when you can get cheap 4mm ones for close distance monitoring of entrances and parking places. IMHO, for a homeowner, PTZ is best for monitoring a changing target, say on-street parking where you can't park in the same spot all the time, or a very distant target, plus just looking around when you want to. You can certainly park it in one place to give it a specific job when you're not using it though. Look at big retail stores. Fixed cams on cash registers, door entrances, and high-loss departments (cosmetics, electronics, steaks, razor blades, etc), plus a PTZ in the parking lot. The PTZ isn't there to monitor the whole lot on motion detection (they don't really care what happens in the lot), just for use by the live operator to follow where thieves go and what vehicle they get in after they leave the store. Requires a live operator for best use though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The hikvision has a wider fov its just that the angle is different. If you compared them side by side the hikvision would be wider.In fact a hikvision 4mm is generally as wide as a dahua 2.8mm (for the 3mp cams for certain)..

luisma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Kawboy12R,

I will be changing the two cameras the 4MM Hikvision and the 3.6mm Dahua for small PTZ's I work from home so it will be easy for me to monitor the cameras and be able to move and zoom as needed to any subject or items in front of my house, in the meantime they will be parked just as a fixed camera would be.

Luis