Need recommendation for a good IR outdoor cam

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for two outdoor cam with good IR, one dome and one bullet shape. Will use it purely at night at home. Thanks!

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for two outdoor cam with good IR, one dome and one bullet shape. Will use it purely at night at home. Thanks!
Just about everyone recommends Hikvision You can cruise Amazon.com to see what's available. Be aware that many of the listings are for one's made in China and they are not warranted by Hikvison, USA. The shipping takes a bit longer, there's a long turnaround time to send them back for repair but the cost is less. You also need to be careful to get the English firmware or the menus will be in Chinese.
I have 8 cameras from China and they all work great.

milamber

n3wb
Reaction score
From the Hikvision forum mostly recommends Dahua for better IR, for me I'm using it purely for night time so I need a good IR cam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From the Hikvision forum mostly recommends Dahua for better IR, for me I'm using it purely for night time so I need a good IR cam.
To me they are both more or less the same at night...if you want better night vision look at the 1.3mp cameras...the dahua 1.3mp bullets are superb at night..you may also add ir illuminators to 3mp cameras or buy 3mp cameras with stronger rated IR, 50m or even 80m rating which is much stronger than the standard 30m..http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101311390770075.pdf
It also depends on what you are using it for? what are you trying to capture...