Need Recommendation for Cameras

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer turrets myself. I like the look of them better. I do run one bullet as an LPR camera because I need the longer focal length its provides to capture plates at ~100'.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You guys are a wealth of knowledge, thank you so much!

So I’m thinking:

Outside
VarFocus - 8MP Starlight Lite Varifocal
3.6 - still using 8MP StarLight Light - Couldn’t find fixed 3.6 from Empire Tech
2.8 aka doorbell - Still thinking the Reolink POE as I don’t want to have to depend on wifi

Inside:
Indoor wired 4MP POE - wife approval factor high as they’re tiny - wired and on the bottom of my vaulted ceilings

Thoughts or suggestions on changing something?

Thank you guys!

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I prefer turrets myself. I like the look of them better. I do run one bullet as an LPR camera because I need the longer focal length its provides to capture plates at ~100'.
Pfft...turrets...I prefer that people on my property know they are being filmed. And this tracking them as they walk by on the sidewalk does a good job of that:
1684262056234.png
Kidding aside turrets are cheaper, and with the flaws noted above, if you can get by with one then it's smaller and less noticeable, too. I use turrets (2231s) as spotters for my PTZ because that's all I need.

And with all these cams the OP is putting up, maybe having some spotters and a PTZ or a few of them could be an option worth considering?

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

So I’m thinking:

Outside
VarFocus - 8MP Starlight Lite Varifocal
3.6 - still using 8MP StarLight Light - Couldn’t find fixed 3.6 from Empire Tech
2.8 aka doorbell - Still thinking the Reolink POE as I don’t want to have to depend on wifi

Inside:
Indoor wired 4MP POE - wife approval factor high as they’re tiny - wired and on the bottom of my vaulted ceilings

Thoughts or suggestions on changing something?

Thank you guys!
The king of cameras right now is the 5442. It is 4MP with a 1/1.8" sensor. If you want to go 8MP make sure the sensor size is 1/1.2"...But, it will be pricey.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not chase MP - you are looking at 8MP on the same size sensor as a 2MP so the 2MP will kick its butt ALL NIGHT LONG. You would need over 4 times the light to get the same brightness as a 2MP camera.

Most here will tell you that 4MP is the sweet spot for surveillance cameras.

But if you go 8MP, it needs to be on the larger 1/1.2" sensor.

You would be much better off with the 4MP 5442 series that is on a larger 1/1.8" sensor than the one you are looking at that is 8MP on the 1/2.7" sensor.

It will make all the difference in the world.

Almost any camera can do well in the daytime with enough light, even cameras that are 8MP put on a sensor designed for 2MP. But keep in mind that usually the processor and other stuff are still designed around 2MP, so the camera struggles trying to keep up with 8MP worth of data.

So buying an 8MP camera on the same sensor as the 2MP processor means that the processor is potentially working 4 times as hard for the 8MP camera. The camera you are looking at was designed for 2MP, so when they pop an 8MP lens on it, the processor is still the same and has to work harder. In some situations that is problematic.

Here is another real world example with a deer. Even with a floodlight, there simply wasn't enough light to make the 4MP on the sensor designed for 2MP to go into color. Imagine how much darker trying to squeeze 8MP on it will be.

1673449859378.png

And a 4MP on the proper 1/1.8" sensor camera (different deer LOL) that the camera was able to go to color based on the larger sensor:

1673449943897.png

Which do you think is the better image? The same thing applies whether it is a 4MP versus 8MP on the sensor sized for 2MP.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

Thank you guys!
Unfortunately it can get confusing. Empiretech and Loryta are the same thing, but offer different units. If you search for Loryta you will probably find what you are looking for.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras I referenced in this thread have links to the EmpireTech/Loryta/Dahua OEM cameras on Amazon we talk about:

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do not chase MP - you are looking at 8MP on the same size sensor as a 2MP so the 2MP will kick its butt ALL NIGHT LONG. You would need over 4 times the light to get the same brightness as a 2MP camera.

Most here will tell you that 4MP is the sweet spot for surveillance cameras.

But if you go 8MP, it needs to be on the larger 1/1.2" sensor.

You would be much better off with the 4MP 5442 series that is on a larger 1/1.8" sensor than the one you are looking at that is 8MP on the 1/2.7" sensor.

It will make all the difference in the world.

Almost any camera can do well in the daytime with enough light, even cameras that are 8MP put on a sensor designed for 2MP. But keep in mind that usually the processor and other stuff are still designed around 2MP, so the camera struggles trying to keep up with 8MP worth of data.

So buying an 8MP camera on the same sensor as the 2MP processor means that the processor is potentially working 4 times as hard for the 8MP camera. The camera you are looking at was designed for 2MP, so when they pop an 8MP lens on it, the processor is still the same and has to work harder. In some situations that is problematic.

Here is another real world example with a deer. Even with a floodlight, there simply wasn't enough light to make the 4MP on the sensor designed for 2MP to go into color. Imagine how much darker trying to squeeze 8MP on it will be.

1673449859378.png

And a 4MP on the proper 1/1.8" sensor camera (different deer LOL) that the camera was able to go to color based on the larger sensor:

1673449943897.png

Which do you think is the better image? The same thing applies whether it is a 4MP versus 8MP on the sensor sized for 2MP.
Wow that is a significant change!

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras I referenced in this thread have links to the EmpireTech/Loryta/Dahua OEM cameras on Amazon we talk about:

I’m going to go read this and report back, should’ve already done that sorry guys!

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m going to go read this and report back, should’ve already done that sorry guys!
No worries. Just don't buy anything until you are sure what you need.
While you are reading, check the Wiki. Here's the cliff notes with a lot of good nuggets of info:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just remember that the cliff notes are dated when it comes to the cameras, so that is where the thread I posted picks up to the newest cameras.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OKay... so here we go, thoughts and comments accepted please

varifocal - 5442 ZE
3.6 - 5442 fixed 3.6
2.8 - IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 - but would I need to mount this lower to be a good facial recognition
2.8** Any video doorbell suggestions welcomed as well!

Inside:
Indoor wired 4MP POE - wife approval factor high as they’re tiny - wired and on the bottom of my vaulted ceilings.

^^ anyone uses these^^

EDIT#1

Actually I think this may be better for inside, Amcrest 4MP WiFi PTZ Camera, has anyone mounted this on a ceiling?

Thoughts on the two inside cameras?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442s are always good choices.

The 5441 AKA as boobie cam fits a good role in certain spots.

Wifi cams can bring down your entire LAN system, so if you have wifi cams, you will want to use a router just for those that are not connected to the internet.

Most here run a dual NIC system for their BI computer. 1 ethernet port on an IP address for internet and the 2nd ethernet port on an IP address different than your LAN to put all of the cameras on. So wifi cams would go on the 2nd ethernet port.

I assume you are talking about this one or similar (keep in mind it is just PT and not Z) and works fine upside down.

But you have to run power to it anyway, so why not POE it and be done?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj I was under the impression that did do POE, I am looking for a POE version

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mentioned wifi cams which was my response of you have to run power anyway?

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing to add that @wittaj may not have mentioned here that he's mentioned elsewhere is that he likes things closer. The more experience I get with this, it's some of the best advice on this forum. What I've found is that if I think I need a 2.8mm camera, I'm much happier with a 6mm camera. What that means for me is that most of my cameras are varifocal. The benefit is that you can move them and zoom into areas, which you can't do with a fixed lens camera.
Also, one of the recommendations on this site is to get a varifocal camera and place it temporarily where you plan to mount a camera and see the results at different focal lengths. That is great advice! But, be sure that you can identify in the areas you are covering before you buy a fixed camera.
I'm not sure if either of the above were mentioned, we're fixing dinner and I don't have time to read through...But, wanted to post those two points.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To clarify I am looking for a POE indoor camera that can be mounted inside down and if possible have tilt and pan.

Also, to access my camera's you have to VPN into my system as if you were "home" to access them, they do not have access to the internet outside my house

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah lots of cameras fit that request.

I was simply replying to your comment that you said you were looking at indoor wifi cams.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to find some, but can not find, can you point me towards some?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score