Need Recommendation on an Entire System

Reaction score
Good afternoon - I have been going in circles reading and reading trying to figure out which setup I should be getting. I currently have four ring flood light cameras and would like to replace with a new system. I need to be able to see the system from my phone, get notifications to my phone, see in the dark. I have briefly e-mailed with Andy, I have read all the posts on Blue Iris, etc. etc. I am not that technical. So my questions is this...can anyone suggest a complete system of 4-6 cameras, NVR, Blue Iris, etc.? How do I hook the Blue Iris up to a computer? Andy suggested the Empire Tech 4k 8mp 1/1.8 Turret AI camera. If I am going to run Blue Iris which NVR do I get? Do I buy it from Blue Iris? Obviously I have read too much and am very confused. What do you say? Tell me what I need, all the way down to the cables, please. My budget is anywhere from $1000-1500, with the understanding that I may need to spend more money down the line to buy a few more cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You install Blue Iris on a stand alone small form factor computer such as THIS, that setup becomes the NVR.

You can purchase Blue Iris from THEM or from the store on this website.

You also need a POE (Power Over Ethernet) switch such as this ONE

Purchase cable from HERE and connectors HERE

As far as cameras, what is your goal for the cameras?

See this for more info: The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection | IP Cam Talk

That said, this is the go to CAMERA at this time for it's excellent night vision.

Cameras connect to the POE+ switch, then the SWITCH is also connected to the Blue Iris PC.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good afternoon - I have been going in circles reading and reading trying to figure out which setup I should be getting. I currently have four ring flood light cameras and would like to replace with a new system. I need to be able to see the system from my phone, get notifications to my phone, see in the dark. I have briefly e-mailed with Andy, I have read all the posts on Blue Iris, etc. etc. I am not that technical. So my questions is this...can anyone suggest a complete system of 4-6 cameras, NVR, Blue Iris, etc.? How do I hook the Blue Iris up to a computer? Andy suggested the Empire Tech 4k 8mp 1/1.8 Turret AI camera. If I am going to run Blue Iris which NVR do I get? Do I buy it from Blue Iris? Obviously I have read too much and am very confused. What do you say? Tell me what I need, all the way down to the cables, please. My budget is anywhere from $1000-1500, with the understanding that I may need to spend more money down the line to buy a few more cameras.
Welcome @juristicone

Q: I have been going in circles reading and reading trying to figure out which setup I should be getting. I currently have four ring flood light cameras and would like to replace with a new system. I need to be able to see the system from my phone, get notifications to my phone, see in the dark.
A: I know of NO one system which currently does well in all those areas without some learning to configure and setup.
I would suggest a hybrid setup .. a few cloud cameras for your phone app / notifications,
and a solid wired IP PoE with good larger sensor cameras for the critical image capture needs.

Q: If I am going to run Blue Iris which NVR do I get?
A: Blue Iris is a program that runs on a Microsoft Windows PC. Windows 10, 11 is what many members end up getting, often on a used business class PC ( Dell or HP ) that can hold at least one SSD for the OS / Blue Iris and one HDD for the video.

Q: I am not that technical.
A: All cctv / security camera setups will require some learning, so be prepared for that. For better results expect to tune / adjust settings. Not hard, and many here have given suggestions on parameters in numerous threads.

Q: Obviously I have read too much and am very confused. What do you say?
A; I like to recommend those new to this to get one good 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal IP PoE camera, a small POE switch, a length of good quality cat5e/6 23 or 24 AWG copper wired cable and setup a test rig to start playing around. It all starts to make more sense when you actually have a camera to learn with.

Last edited:

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome @juristicone

Q: I have been going in circles reading and reading trying to figure out which setup I should be getting. I currently have four ring flood light cameras and would like to replace with a new system. I need to be able to see the system from my phone, get notifications to my phone, see in the dark.
A: I know of NO one system which currently does well in all those areas without some learning to configure and setup.
I would suggest a hybrid setup .. a few cloud cameras of your phone app / notifications,
and a solid wired IP PoE with good larger sensor cameras for the critical image capture needs.

A: Blue Iris is a program that runs on a Microsoft Windows PC. Windows 10, 11 is what many members end up getting, often on a used business class PC ( Dell or HP ) that can hold at least one SSD for the OS / Blue Iris and one HDD for the video.

A: All cctv / security camera setups will require some learning, so be prepared for that. For better results expect to tune / adjust settings. Not hard, and many here have given suggestions on parameters in numerous threads.

A; I like to recommend those new to this to get one good 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal IP PoE camera, a small POE switch, a length of good quality cat5e/6 23 or 24 AWG copper wired cable and setup a test rig to start playing around. It all starts to make more sense when you actually have a camera to learn with.
Great advice

Reaction score
You install Blue Iris on a stand alone small form factor computer such as THIS, that setup becomes the NVR.

See this for more info: The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection | IP Cam Talk

That said, this is the go to CAMERA at this time for it's excellent night vision.

Cameras connect to the POE+ switch, then the SWITCH is also connected to the Blue Iris PC.
Thank you so much! This helps a ton.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I came here knowing little to nothing about ip cams four years ago. This site has been a wealth of information and great help. I followed the recommendations as opposed to my preconceived ideas and I have a rock solid system that runs Blue Iris and Dahua/Andy cameras. I have several cameras that record 24/7/365 for four years now without a hiccup.

My recommendation is to buy one of the recommended Empiretech varifocal cams, get Blue Iris from the Ipcamtalk store and a poe injector from amazon for about $20 bucks. This is a minimal investment to get your feet wet and is miles ahead of Arlo, Blink, Ring, Reolink, etc. This is assuming you have a PC that supports BI. You can also pickup a Dell outlet or refurbished PC on the cheap, about $200 - $250.

I knew little to nothing about networking, configuring, setting up a system when I found this forum, you can learn and those here will help you when you hit a snag. As you learn your system is extremely expandable.

Reaction score
I came here knowing little to nothing about ip cams four years ago. This site has been a wealth of information and great help. I followed the recommendations as opposed to my preconceived ideas and I have a rock solid system that runs Blue Iris and Dahua/Andy cameras. I have several cameras that record 24/7/365 for four years now without a hiccup.

My recommendation is to buy one of the recommended Empiretech varifocal cams, get Blue Iris from the Ipcamtalk store and a poe injector from amazon for about $20 bucks. This is a minimal investment to get your feet wet and is miles ahead of Arlo, Blink, Ring, Reolink, etc. This is assuming you have a PC that supports BI. You can also pickup a Dell outlet or refurbished PC on the cheap, about $200 - $250.

I knew little to nothing about networking, configuring, setting up a system when I found this forum, you can learn and those here will help you when you hit a snag. As you learn your system is extremely expandable.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Welcome @juristicone

I would suggest a hybrid setup .. a few cloud cameras for your phone app / notifications,

Thank you.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you.
IPC-T22IR-ZAS S3, $130 on Amazon

TL-PoE150S, $20 on Amazon

Unless something changed, I believe you can get a 15 day trial free of BI.

Assuming you have a PC that supports BI, the two Amazon items are also returnable, you have a very low costs point of entry to take a test drive.

I started for purpose of adding another layer of security and it morphed more into a hobby. I have six active cameras, either Dahua OEM or Andy rebrands, and four more unmounted I bought to play around with. A single varifocal will give you an idea of views, coverage, what works and what does not work. A system build incrementally from scratch based upon needs and your specific situation will be way better that an all in one solution.

Reaction score

Boy I can not agree more with these statements and many others on here. I am a total “babe in the woods” when it comes to cameras and networking. Heck! I’m still trying to decide on gel or waterproof wrap for my cable . The reading has been fascinating to me.
Here is my recently purchased starter kit. Now, to just get a monitor.

Attachments

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This diagram demonstrates the simplicity of using a Window's computer with BI to run your cameras.

BI_Setup.png

BI is limited to 64 cameras which for home systems is most adequate. Plus there is NO monthly or yearly fee to continue with BI, only if updates are desired beyond the one year initial time period.

The POE switch can be almost any brand. Have used the suggested NetGear 8 port switch along with a Dahua 10 ($85) and 24 port and Reolink 10 port POE switches.

So far have found that the Reolink ($54) has the same build quality as the Dahua POE switch. At this point, no switch issues with any of the installed brands.

Keep in mind that the NetGear 8 port switch is only 8 ports. One POE port has to be used for an uplink to the computer NIC. Thus only leaving 7 ports available for cameras.

The Reolink and Dahua can both be considered to be 10 port switches. Eight POE ports for the cameras plus two non POE uplink ports. One uplink can be used for the NIC and the other to expand the system if needed.

Each of the camera ports are rated at 10/100 which is more than sufficient for the required data bandwidth. Most Dahua cameras do not require more then 10 meg for proper operation.

However, the uplink port should be 10/100/1000 as in a larger switch the 100 meg limit can easily be overcome. For 24 cameras the required bandwidth will be in the range of 240 megs or greater depending on camera settings and types.

Reaction score
This diagram demonstrates the simplicity of using a Window's computer with BI to run your cameras.

View attachment 202042

BI is limited to 64 cameras which for home systems is most adequate. Plus there is NO monthly or yearly fee to continue with BI, only if updates are desired beyond the one year initial time period.

The POE switch can be almost any brand. Have used the suggested NetGear 8 port switch along with a Dahua 10 ($85) and 24 port and Reolink 10 port POE switches.

So far have found that the Reolink ($54) has the same build quality as the Dahua POE switch. At this point, no switch issues with any of the installed brands.

Keep in mind that the NetGear 8 port switch is only 8 ports. One POE port has to be used for an uplink to the computer NIC. Thus only leaving 7 ports available for cameras.

The Reolink and Dahua can both be considered to be 10 port switches. Eight POE ports for the cameras plus two non POE uplink ports. One uplink can be used for the NIC and the other to expand the system if needed.

Each of the camera ports are rated at 10/100 which is more than sufficient for the required data bandwidth. Most Dahua cameras do not require more then 10 meg for proper operation.

However, the uplink port should be 10/100/1000 as in a larger switch the 100 meg limit can easily be overcome. For 24 cameras the required bandwidth will be in the range of 240 megs or greater depending on camera settings and types.
Thank you. These details along with what other have provided are awesome.

Reaction score

Does the memory/specs on the computer matter much? Am I just getting something within the last few years?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The minimum recommendation would be an 8th gen as it can run Windows 11. Can pick one up on ebay for about $100ish. Get newer if you can afford it.

Other mins are 16GB of RAM and SSD drive

With that said, if you can get a computer even cheaper or have one laying around, they will work.

Someone here recently had a 3rd gen laying around unused and just fired it up and it works fine.

And older ones are capable as well.

Reaction score
The minimum recommendation would be an 8th gen as it can run Windows 11. Can pick one up on ebay for about $100ish. Get newer if you can afford it.

Other mins are 16GB of RAM and SSD drive

With that said, if you can get a computer even cheaper or have one laying around, they will work.

Someone here recently had a 3rd gen laying around unused and just fired it up and it works fine.

And older ones are capable as well.

Thank you again. Buying the computer today.