Need Recommendation on New NVR (Currently Using Milestone on Dell Win7 box)

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My current NVR is a Dell box running windows 7 and Milestone. I'm happy with Milestone, but it seems like 24/7 recording of 4 5MP cameras is taxing the CPU to where playback on the NVR and remotely is unacceptably slow. When remotely viewing, the Hikvision Turret image is stuttering. Image to Grey screen to image.
I've looked at 3 options, but unsure of what to go with:

- Hikvision NVR with POE. Cheap, can put my own storage disks, but software is no good. Not intuitive. Difficult to get support

- Milestone Husky server. At least 3x the cost of Hikvision. Least expensive option only has 1TB storage and I can't add more. I want 4-8TB storage.

- Build another Milestone server. Difficult to maintain. Unsure of the best hardware to get. Any recs would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My current NVR is a Dell box running windows 7 and Milestone. I'm happy with Milestone, but it seems like 24/7 recording of 4 5MP cameras is taxing the CPU to where playback on the NVR and remotely is unacceptably slow. When remotely viewing, the Hikvision Turret image is stuttering. Image to Grey screen to image.

- Hikvision NVR with POE. Cheap, can put my own storage disks, but software is no good. Not intuitive. Difficult to get support

- Milestone Husky server. At least 3x the cost of Hikvision. Least expensive option only has 1TB storage and I can't add more. I want 4-8TB storage.

- Build another Milestone server. Difficult to maintain. Unsure of the best hardware to get. Any recs would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
This one is 4K. Plenty of room to grow with new technology.
Great price. I am getting it myself in about a month.////

http://www.cctv-mall.com/nvr5216-4ks2-dahua-nvr5216-4ks2-8-channel-4k-and-h-265-code-decoding-dahua-network-video-recorder-with-onvif-version-2-4-conformance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks!
What are the current specs on your server?
Dont waste money building anything, you can buy i5 skylake machines for 320 and i7 skylake for 525...full three year warranties from dell/hp, in home. If you like milestone, stick with it. You wont be happy with the standalone nvr's.

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the current specs on your server?
Dont waste money building anything, you can buy i5 skylake machines for 320 and i7 skylake for 525...full three year warranties from dell/hp, in home. If you like milestone, stick with it. You wont be happy with the standalone nvr's.
And then again he just might be very happy with the standalone nvr's. i know that i am. Different strokes for different motorcycles..

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-7604NI-E1/4P can handle 4x 4MP Hikvision cameras no problem.

If you have Hikvision cameras then buy a Hikvision NVR (and vice-versa). As you have 5MP cameras which I doubt are Hikvision then I wouldn't buy a Hikvision NVR. I'd get a Dahua one instead.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And then again he just might be very happy with the standalone nvr's. i know that i am. Different strokes for different motorcycles..
Yes, but OP also paid for Milestone which is fantastic and has been using it for quire a while. If you never used a pc based vms, you dont know what you are missing.

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll look on Amazon to review some of the options recommended here.

If anyone has any recs on specific systems I would be very grateful.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll look on Amazon to review some of the options recommended here.

If anyone has any recs on specific systems I would be very grateful.
What is your current system specs?

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[h=1]DELL Vostro 270 (469-1954) Desktop PC Intel Core i3 3220(3.30GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB + 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2500 Windows 8 Pro 64-bit[/h]

Reaction score
DELL Vostro 270 (469-1954) Desktop PC Intel Core i3 3220(3.30GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB + 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2500 Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Camb, your nvr specs are over specc'd for what you are running. The issue probably is that you are doing live view at the same time. Turn off live view on your server. Then test again. you should see a lot of improvement.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks!

I just looked at my Milestone server (I don't use it for anything else) and it appears CPU usage is 1-5%, but there is high memory usage (3.5 out of 4gb of memory being used). What might be causing this and is there anyway to remedy this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Add more.. does the memory usage go down if you reboot....

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will check. It'll probably take a while with Windows Updates

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've rebooted and the same issue is still there. Physical memory at 91% and CPU at 22%. I don't notice anything in task manager out of the ordinary.

Symptoms same as what is described here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/all-physical-memory-being-used-but-nothing-showing/74473cc5-cef9-4fa7-be98-a50295e308b4
I dont know enough about milestone memory usage...you can ask them...otherwise pop another 4gb in...its cheap. Or try a clean install if its a windows issue..

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! The system idle process seems to be taking all the memory. Who knows that that is all about.

A security installer put all of this stuff in for me (no longer in business) so I don't have the background or the CD's needed to reinstall Windows.

I'll eventually figure it out. I appreciate everyone's help.