Need replacement POE system

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll try to make this short....

I spent a bit of time doing some intro research on a surveillance system for my rowhome. Mostly the research was "Which piece of Chinese garbage is not going to quit in 2 weeks?" I landed on a Reolink 4mp poe system because of all the reviews and claims about night vision distance. I later found out that reolink elicits reviews in exchange for free products, so yeah I'm a sucker.

I ran all new cat6 through my house, 2 runs to the back, 2 in the front where the NVR is. I never mounted the front cameras, but I had them hooked up in my room, next to the NVR. The back door camera looked good during the day, but it was grainy as hell at night. I tried everything: wire trace, cam swap, new wires, nvr settings, nvr factory reset and firmware update... nothing made any difference. In fact, it only got worse. And on top of that the cameras in my room began deteriorating too. This is barely 1 month after purchase. Tonight I managed to get Amazon to give me a full refund despite being outside the refund window.

So now I need a new setup! I refuse to go wireless, as I'm sure you all do too. Running those wires was more of a pita than I expected, so I plan on using them! What I need is for my two front cameras that hang under the 2nd story window overhang to be able to read license plates. I live on a really tight street, and cars get hit all the time. I just bought a nice new(ish) Grand Cherokee Overland that I want to keep an eye on. In the back i have issues with people sneaking in my back patio and stealing chairs and candles and stuff, so i want 2 cameras out back for that. Baltimore city just installed these led luminaries in all the light poles, so I have a bright directional glare in the back that was keeping the reolink cam's IRs from kicking on. So I need good low light performance back there, but long sight distance isn't important. And lastly i just need an nvr to control it all. Critical features are motion sensing with scheduling and masking, 24/7 recording, PTZ controls, HDD or SSD (obviously), and mobile app preferably with the option to remotely control the NVR (unlike reolinks BS app).

It would be great if up could point me to a full setup meeting my needs, but I'm doubting that is going to happen. So instead could you just recommend some good individual pieces that will work together without any advanced knowledge in the subject. Clearly, I'm not an expert, and unfortunately I also do not have a ton of time to devote to researching the finer aspects of ip cams. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dahua fixed-focus 4231 Starlight and varifocal 5231 Starlight cameras. There are dedicated threads for both of these cameras in the Dahua forum.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dahua fixed-focus 4231 Starlight and varifocal 5231 Starlight cameras. There are dedicated threads for both of these cameras in the Dahua forum.
Thanks. Which camera are you recommending for which application? And do you happen to have a recommendation on an NVR to go with these?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

gloworm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Which camera are you recommending for which application? And do you happen to have a recommendation on an NVR to go with these?

I know I am new here, but by reading what others have said, the 5231 is better to fixate as wide view lenses are not good at making out specific details, also it generates a slightly better night quality but is about $40-$50 more expensive. Overall the 5231 is better but if price is a factor, the 4231 will suffice. You can use this store on AliExpress to purchase from. It is the following member's store .You can message @EMPIRETECANDY to get a discount for being a member of the forum. Also, do not stray from the starlight series nor model numbers from Dahua. You may get Chinese knockoffs. Anyone please correct me if wrong.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I know I am new here, but by reading what others have said, the 5231 is better to fixate as wide view lenses are not good at making out specific details, also it generates a slightly better night quality but is about $40-$50 more expensive. Overall the 5231 is better but if price is a factor, the 4231 will suffice. You can use this store on AliExpress to purchase from. It is the following member's store .You can message @EMPIRETECANDY to get a discount for being a member of the forum. Also, do not stray from the starlight series nor model numbers from Dahua. You may get Chinese knockoffs.
Just ping me at the forum i will get back to you guys when i watch it, lol. No need to register on aliexpress again, we make all easy and fast.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That 5231 sure has a lot of stellar reviews. I think I'd prefer 4 of those to 2/2 (4231/5231). And I probably wouldn't want to go much more expensive than the 5231 if I'm buying 4 cameras, but it's going to depend on the cost of the other equipment. I will mix and match if the other equipment is $$$.

Is the 5231 still recommended over the Z5 for license plate spotting from under my second floor windows, considering the Z5 is supposed to be better for long ranges? Are these motorized cameras going to need additional power (12VDC, POE+,etc.) or will standard POE from my existing CAT6 suffice?

Still hoping for a recommendation on an NVR! ha ha

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NVR5208/5216/5232-8P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

It will be tough reading plates from that high, to be successful, you have to dedicate a cam for the task. Read here: LPR

Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

IPVM Camera Calculator V3, keep PPF>100, tutorial on right.

The starlights will really shine with street lights around, you can set the cams to do as you wish in the settings.
holy crap, that cam calculator is invaluable. Whoever created that deserves some really expensive beers.

Unfortunately for the plate reading I have to be up high since parked cars would block the view if I was lower. I thought about a dedicated plate cam, but I thought I'd try to see what the standard cams could do first before spending the money. That's cool that's there's a dedicated plate cam forum though. I didn't see that before, so thanks for the link.

That first link you posted is a dead link. Was that typed wrong or is that model just not on their site anymore?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's what I get in Firefox...

View attachment 22186
Are you by chance sending a link from an international site? Because it appears I can't load any international dahua pages at all in chrome or Samsung's browser (don't have Firefox installed).

I actually can't even locate that page on the U.S. site by navigating to the NVR section. There's no subsection with 2 HDD, 4 HDD, etc. I was able to find model number DHI-NVR52A08-8P-4KS2, which has an extra "A" in the middle and isn't grouped with 16 and 32 channel options. Is this the same NVR? Spec-wise, it looks to fit the bill.

Reaction score
Are you by chance sending a link from an international site? Because it appears I can't load any international dahua pages at all in chrome or Samsung's browser (don't have Firefox installed).

I actually can't even locate that page on the U.S. site by navigating to the NVR section. There's no subsection with 2 HDD, 4 HDD, etc. I was able to find model number DHI-NVR52A08-8P-4KS2, which has an extra "A" in the middle and isn't grouped with 16 and 32 channel options. Is this the same NVR? Spec-wise, it looks to fit the bill.

Nope, I was simply clicking on the first link in the post you quoted from @looney2ns

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nope, I was simply clicking on the first link in the post you quoted from @looney2ns
Oh i got confused. I was thinking you wrote that post with the links. Clearly i wasn't paying attention to usernames. My bad. Disregard my last post.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The first link in my post works for me in Chrome.

Yes, it is the international site, as that is the models most of us here are purchasing.

Use a computer, and it won't give you that problem.

Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology

@Big Ry
Very odd. I've never encountered this before. I wonder why neither my phone nor my tablet will open the international sites. Guess I'll look at it after work tomorrow.

Is there a reason everyone uses the international site and purchases international versions of equipment? I see you are in the US, so i would have guessed you would use the US site and equipment. And while I've seen others in the UK and a few other countries on here, I've seen more than a few people from the US. Is there something wrong with the models available to the US? Just curious. As long as i get my 120V, the menus are in English, and warranties aren't a pain in the ass, I don't care what version it is.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
International version's bought/imported from china are:
1-50%-70% less cost then the US models.
2-It takes new models 6 -9 months to show up in the US, and other markets after they are released.
My cell phone does the same thing with the International site.

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

BEC Technology Co.,Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

A rep from these two stores @EMPIRETECANDY is active on these forums.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
International version's bought/imported from china are:
1-50%-70% less cost then the US models.
2-It takes new models 6 -9 months to show up in the US, and other markets after they are released.
My cell phone does the same thing with the International site.

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

BEC Technology Co.,Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

A rep from these two stores @EMPIRETECANDY is active on these forums.
Gotcha. Well a 50-70% cost reduction alone is a no-brainer. My only question to that though is that... I've been reading about avoiding Chinese dahua cams (actually i think it was the EMPIRETECANDY rep in my thread who mentioned it)... Does that not apply to NVRs? Chinese NVRs are ok?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What you want to avoid is cams,nvrs, etc, that are made for the China Region, such as you will find on Amazon and Fleabay.

They have hacked to English firmware, can't be firmware updated usually. Made partly of plastic instead of metal, not have the features of the regular cams.

The key is the International Dahua site, if you can't find the EXACT model number on that site, it's probably a China Region hacked version.