Need router advice for OpenVPN

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am currently using Port Forwarding (yes, I know) to allow remote access to Blue Iris in a PC used only for Blue Iris, with two NIC's (cams on separate LAN).
I want to use OpenVPN to increase security, but one: after installing OpenVPN on the PC, I couldn't get it working with my Samsung phone and Two: I'm told that opening a port from Router to the vpn is almost as bad as the port forward.
The other issue is I have FIOS TV service, using a FIOS g3100 router, which has no built-in way to install OpenVPN. Some suggest bridge mode on the Verizon router, then add a second router that can do OpenVPN, but that looked very complicted (for me), and may disable the TV guide, etc.
One person shows (on youtube) how one can add a Moca adapter which *Should * allow me to replace the Verizon G3100 with a better router and keep the TV service.
(video here: )
So my questions are:
1. is this likely to work? (his comments say yes )
2. if yes, which router should I look at to replace the G3100, one with robust wifi and which will have the ability to run OpenVPN to protect the my network but allow me to see cams outside my home.
3. I use a Verizon E3200 wifi extender also... connected to the Lan upstairs, would this continue to work without the other g3100?

Thanks all...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am currently using Port Forwarding (yes, I know) to allow remote access to Blue Iris in a PC used only for Blue Iris, with two NIC's (cams on separate LAN).
I want to use OpenVPN to increase security, but one: after installing OpenVPN on the PC, I couldn't get it working with my Samsung phone and Two: I'm told that opening a port from Router to the vpn is almost as bad as the port forward.
The other issue is I have FIOS TV service, using a FIOS g3100 router, which has no built-in way to install OpenVPN. Some suggest bridge mode on the Verizon router, then add a second router that can do OpenVPN, but that looked very complicted (for me), and may disable the TV guide, etc.
One person shows (on youtube) how one can add a Moca adapter which *Should * allow me to replace the Verizon G3100 with a better router and keep the TV service.
(video here: )
So my questions are:
1. is this likely to work? (his comments say yes )
2. if yes, which router should I look at to replace the G3100, one with robust wifi and which will have the ability to run OpenVPN to protect the my network but allow me to see cams outside my home.
3. I use a Verizon E3200 wifi extender also... connected to the Lan upstairs, would this continue to work without the other g3100?

Thanks all...
1. Yes
2. Synology RT6600AX discussed here. It has vlan capabilities not available on most consumer routers. Starting over, need recommendations
3. a. The router above has excellent range so you may not need the extender. b) if you do end up needed an extender and are paying a monthly fee for the verizon extender - replace it with any other extender or use two Synology RT6600AX in mesh mode or if you want to save a bit, you can use the old RT2600ac for your mesh node or extender. c) the e3200 may continue to operate as a basic wireless or ethernet wired extender if the firmware allows that, however, there is a 99 percent chance that its currently connected via coax which wont work with your new setup (possibly with another moca on the other end, but its not worth the hassle)

Last edited:

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Yes
2. Synology RT6600AX discussed here. It has vlan capabilities not available on most consumer routers. Starting over, need recommendations
3. a. The router above has excellent range so you may not need the extender. b) if you do end up needed an extender and are paying a monthly fee for the verizon extender - replace it with any other extender or use two Synology RT6600AX in mesh mode or if you want to save a bit, you can use the old RT2600ac for your mesh node or extender. c) the e3200 may continue to operate as a basic wireless or ethernet wired extender if the firmware allows that, however, there is a 99 percent chance that its currently connected via coax which wont work with your new setup (possibly with another moca on the other end, but its not worth the hassle)
Thanks for the detailed reply!
I will give this a go... (the e3200 extender is only connected via ethernet, not coax now,,, so maybe I will try it! (agree not worth another Moca just to extend) Thanks...

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: The Synology rt6600ax router installed great, and the Motorola Moca adapter gives me the Fios TV and guide, etc, so no more Verizon router. All good.
The Verizon Fios extender e3200 wouldn't play nice... it resets wifi every minute or so, I couldn't find a way to repurpose it as an extender, so now seeking a cost effective extender for the upstairs (the rt6600ax signal is good but still weak 3 floors up.. so surprise there)
And I was able to install the OpenVPN on the router and get android phone working also, to connect to Blue Iris.. no more port forward:)
The only nit that caused me a bunch of grief was a setting in Synology's OpenVpn setup that said "allow clients to access server's Lan".. obviously one needs that but I hadn't noticed it, and by default it is off. Took a while to find it and then connect. Thanks for the good advice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: The Synology rt6600ax router installed great, and the Motorola Moca adapter gives me the Fios TV and guide, etc, so no more Verizon router. All good.
The Verizon Fios extender e3200 wouldn't play nice... it resets wifi every minute or so, I couldn't find a way to repurpose it as an extender, so now seeking a cost effective extender for the upstairs (the rt6600ax signal is good but still weak 3 floors up.. so surprise there)
And I was able to install the OpenVPN on the router and get android phone working also, to connect to Blue Iris.. no more port forward:)
The only nit that caused me a bunch of grief was a setting in Synology's OpenVpn setup that said "allow clients to access server's Lan".. obviously one needs that but I hadn't noticed it, and by default it is off. Took a while to find it and then connect. Thanks for the good advice.
If you get another rt6600 or the cheaper 2600 you can mesh them.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WRX560 | Synology Inc. There is now a WRX560 which should also be capable of being used as a mesh. It is wifi 6 and cheaper than the 6600. The MR2200AC works well with the RT6600ax.
Thanks, I ordered the MR2200ac, we shall see how that works (the area I need it for is small, so no real need for the more pricy versions). In theory...

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and last follow up: The MR2200ac mesh router came and installed just fine. Had to do the firmware update to 1.3.1 as noted the the above video, which was super helpful. Mororola MOCA adapter working also, so no more Verizon Fios router needed.
Blue Iris, with Code Project AI, working great... no false notifications from rain, spiders, bugs, etc and it sends great notifications when people do arrive. VPN installed on the Synology router, working great on my android phone to run Blue Iris mobile... without port forwarding. Thanks all for the help!

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I ordered the MR2200ac, we shall see how that works (the area I need it for is small, so no real need for the more pricy versions). In theory...
I am also about to upgrade to the RT6600 I think. Not sure if I will need a mesh. I currently have a mesh extender to give range to my back patio. How large of an area were you covering that required you to add the MR2200ac? I’m not able yo place my router in the middle of my house. What is the SF of your home?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also about to upgrade to the RT6600 I think. Not sure if I will need a mesh. I currently have a mesh extender to give range to my back patio. How large of an area were you covering that required you to add the MR2200ac? I’m not able yo place my router in the middle of my house. What is the SF of your home?
Every structure is different. You cannot come to any conclusions based on another's experience.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Every structure is different. You cannot come to any conclusions based on another's experience.
true. My need was the 6600 resides in my office, basement level, and I wanted coverage for upstairs bedrooms (basically three flights up, so lots of walls. Just needed some help up there. Yes, putting the 6600 in the middle might have worked, but I wanted strong signal in office area. MOCA adapter also resides there....