need super simple camera recommendation

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, that'll help narrow it down. Most variable zooms top out at 12 to 13.5mm. Searching now for some that will approach 50mm.
For reference, this is the 2.7mm-12mm varifocal turret vs the 8mm-32mm bullet.

This was my coverage of the back gate with a T5442T-ZE (12mm) on the 2nd floor soffit. The install height was 20-22' with a horizontal distance to the gate of 85'.
Back_Yard, North 2023-03-25 06.47.33.400 PM.jpg

This is the replacement B5442E-Z4E (32mm) at the same 2nd floor soffit install location.
Back_Gate 2023-03-26 01.36.15.618 PM.jpg

This is after I moved it down to the deck roof. The new distance is 11' install height with a horizontal distance of 65'.
Back_Gate 2023-07-22 03.23.26.322 PM.jpg
Back_Gate 2023-09-13 11.07.37.109 AM.jpg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll also add that I think the camera recommendation made in post #6 is a great option. You mention you want an analog connection so you can hook it right up to a TV. I don't think that needs to be a requirement. A local IP camera can be viewed by any internet browser including anything a "smart TV" would have. No "Smart TV"? You can buy a $20 Amazon Firestick or other inexpensive streaming stick and get internet browsing capabilities on a non-smart TV. Another option is to use a computer monitor to view the camera's output.

An added benefit is those cameras also have an SD slot in case you ever wanted to record footage from the camera. You can literally stick in a SD card and record footage right on the camera. You can then download/view that footage from a computer (ie you don't have to climb up to the camera to remove the SD card).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

klimshelf

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, switching gears. Forget the analog, too hard to find. What would I need to set up a simple long range PoE camera? Can it connect and be powered by a monitor alone or does it have to to through a computer or other equipment. I do not need to record, just view live.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At a minimum, the camera, a POE injector or power supply, an Ethernet cable, and a PC with attached monitor. You could even use a “smart” TV with a built-in web browser in place of the pc once set up, although set up through one might be difficult. Easier would be a surplus pc with a network card and a monitor. Are you comfortable with setting up a pc, or do you have someone who is?

klimshelf

n3wb
Reaction score
At a minimum, the camera, a POE injector or power supply, an Ethernet cable, and a PC with attached monitor. You could even use a “smart” TV with a built-in web browser in place of the pc once set up, although set up through one might be difficult. Easier would be a surplus pc with a network card and a monitor. Are you comfortable with setting up a pc, or do you have someone who is?
I really appreciate your help. I do have a surplus Dell tower PC that has Ethernet connection. So, I would connect camera to PoE injector; connect PC to PoE injector; connect monitor to PC. Is this correct? Does the PoE injector have an ethernet input for camera and output for computer?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I really appreciate your help. I do have a surplus Dell tower PC that has Ethernet connection. So, I would connect camera to PoE injector; connect PC to PoE injector; connect monitor to PC. Is this correct? Does the PoE injector have an ethernet input for camera and output for computer?
Sounds about right.

The injector has a "Line" side and a "Load" side, if you will.

1696340070000.jpeg

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
So the camera would connect to the DATA IN and computer to DATA OUT?
I am not recommending that one, per se. I just found an image. Others may be labeled differently.

Forget Data IN and OUT (data flows both ways, so it's confusing). The important part is that whichever side supplies power (POE) is connected to the camera's ethernet line.

In this case, the PWR+DATA OUT would be connected to the camera.

Last edited:

klimshelf

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not recommending that one, per se. I just found an image. Others may be labeled differently.

Forget Data IN and OUT (data flows both ways, so it's confusing). The important part is that whichever side supplies power (POE) is connected to the camera's ethernet line.

In this case, the DATA OUT would be connected to the camera.
Thanks for explaining that. Yeah, it is confusing. So, with a PTZ camera is it necessary to download control software or does a control interface appear magically on the display from the camera itself?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining that. Yeah, it is confusing. So, with a PTZ camera is it necessary to download control software or does a control interface appear magically on the display from the camera itself?
Speaking for the Dahua/Loryta/Empiretech PTZs, they are stand alone with no secondary control needed but are able to be controlled by other means, if desired.

This is the UI for my PTZ. You can see the controls on the left side.

1696346638052.png

klimshelf

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it is. You simply open up a web browser and type in the IP address of the camera and the login screen appears.
Very cool. I'm feeling like I'll actually get this project done. Thanks very much for your help. I started out way back with a Brownie box camera and a computer I had to boot from a floppy disc, so this is quite new to me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - also, if using a PC there's a number of free to use software you can use to display the video feed, or even record ..

ipvm has a list from 2021 you can look at ..

( iirc hikvision and dahua used to have free VMS also .. during a quick check I did not see them on the list tho .. )