Need to cover dome camera

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am installing 38 cameras in a apartment complex in a really bad area in Cleveland and I already know that the cameras in the hallways will be damaged even before I finish the installation. I found some acrylic covers and was wondering if anyone has used them before and if they are worth buying. The ceiling height is 8'.
The maintenance guy told me some of the tenants will spray paint the cameras or just smash them. I already had cable ripped out of the ceiling when i was wiring the place. Now everything that is within reach is in ridged conduit

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Mounting them at 8 feet is asking for them to be damaged. They have to be mounted higher than people can reach them. Your covers will be useless when they spray them with paint as you said.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At least when the acrylic covered camera is sprayed, you can easily/cheaply replace it with another cover. Another additional option, if they don't bother fire/co2 detectors, get ones with hidden cameras in them. That will give you some coverage until you can replace the cover on the sprayed ones.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I am installing 38 cameras in a apartment complex in a really bad area in Cleveland and I already know that the cameras in the hallways will be damaged even before I finish the installation. I found some acrylic covers and was wondering if anyone has used them before and if they are worth buying. The ceiling height is 8'.
The maintenance guy told me some of the tenants will spray paint the cameras or just smash them. I already had cable ripped out of the ceiling when i was wiring the place. Now everything that is within reach is in ridged conduit
Any photos of the actual installation location? Showing a far shot and height level?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yesterday I got 9 cameras up and running. I checked cameras when I got home and 2 of the cameras were facing the ground. I was able to get a perfect face shot of the clown that moved them. This morning i checked again and 2 cameras on the first floor were off line. Backed up the video and saw someone spray paint 1 cameras than a few min later took a hammer to the other one! the cameras criss cross each other and the cameras can see each other. I thought of installing a smoke detector cam with a sd card but I am positive they will destroy that also. The owner is a large corporation and they already had a idea that this was going to happen. because they have delt with it before. They say once they start to evict people they will get the idea not to fuck with the equipment. I will probably try to put a cage around them and see how long it takes before they destroy them. when i get the outside cameras installed they will probably be shot out. Yep, it's that type of neighborhood!

Attachments

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will not be at that job today, I will pick up a few cages for smoke detectors and give that a try. I would like to at least finish the install and get a check before I have to start doing service calls! The manager is talking about getting a security guard to walk the property but I have a strong feeling that will not help either. There is a tenant on the first floor that sells crack and has traffic all day long so I am taking a wild guess that they will be the one doing the damage or paying one of the crack whores to damage them. I have 7 more apartment to do after this one. they say this is the worst apartment, we will see. Looks like I may have to hire another service tech to just replace cameras at this dump!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m surprised dome cameras are not being used here?!? If installed correctly and secured the lens can’t be moved which addresses the first issue. They take direct impact extremely well which addresses the second problem.

It’s hard to address spray paint but a dome camera is much easier to remove paint then it is from a turret!

There’s a coating that can be applied to the dome which helps repel paint. For the life of me can’t recall the name!

Regardless, you can use some car wax / bug remover on the exterior of the dome. You’ll need to insure once applied you buff it out to reduce distortion if present.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So are the property owners going to use the footage to evict the bad ‘uns?

I also want to install a camera on the side of my property which buts onto the pavement as it’s used as a dumping ground for rubbish and I’m sure some drug dealing also goes on.

I asked my local police about doing this and said that I had seen other properties with cams. I also worry about damage to the cam but I’m going to take in stages. I’m going to install a junction box there and leave it there for a week or 2 then plop a cam on it. The police said that if somebody complains I might be asked to take it down but otherwise if it’s protecting your property they wouldn’t have an issue with it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
They will hit any camera with a hammer, bat, etc... if they can reach it. It doesn't matter if its turret, dome, etc... With Sleep Joe's eviction moratorium being extended and people wearing damn masks everywhere to conceal their identity, its a free for all for renters right now.

In Florida, evictions are expensive and time consuming. Its not like you make a call and the renters are booted out in a few days or weeks. Its like 6 to 12 months down here and that was before all the eviction moratoriums were put in place. That property owners best bet is 24/7 manned security.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They will hit any camera with a hammer, bat, etc... if they can reach it. It doesn't matter if its turret, dome, etc... With Sleep Joe's eviction moratorium being extended and people wearing damn masks everywhere to conceal their identity, its a free for all for renters right now.

In Florida, evictions are expensive and time consuming. Its not like you make a call and the renters are booted out in a few days or weeks. Its like 6 to 12 months down here and that was before all the eviction moratoriums were put in place. That property owners best bet is 24/7 manned security.
Yesterday I got 9 cameras up and running. I checked cameras when I got home and 2 of the cameras were facing the ground. I was able to get a perfect face shot of the clown that moved them. This morning i checked again and 2 cameras on the first floor were off line. Backed up the video and saw someone spray paint 1 cameras than a few min later took a hammer to the other one! the cameras criss cross each other and the cameras can see each other. I thought of installing a smoke detector cam with a sd card but I am positive they will destroy that also. The owner is a large corporation and they already had a idea that this was going to happen. because they have delt with it before. They say once they start to evict people they will get the idea not to fuck with the equipment. I will probably try to put a cage around them and see how long it takes before they destroy them. when i get the outside cameras installed they will probably be shot out. Yep, it's that type of neighborhood!
Eventually eviction moratorium will run out.

Meanwhile, this is a great chance to get solid evidence to evict the worst offenders, and rack up charges for damaging the property.

Signs and replacing cameras, even if adding a few cheap decoy cameras...

I'd add a couple of hidden cameras to watch cameras which are being attacked.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Isnt there a coating ? Which can be applied to say camera dome cover where paint would not stick well and will slide off ?

I thought I saw something for like Anti Graffiti Long time back on youtube again not sure how well or if it works.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I refuse to cut my losses, the owner has read my contract and understands that he is responsible for and damage to equipment while being installed and after. The property owner has hired armed security to watch over this building.I mentioned to him that the room where the rack of equipment is installed should have a metal door and dead bolt.the very next day the door was installed. And he does understand that damage would probably happen and he has no issue paying me for the repairs. I will try to put a coating on the lenses and install a metal cage over them.this will probably be a waste of time but hopefully it will help. And the security guard will also help. Ill post some pics tomorrow when I see what damage they caused. Or maybe some more pics of more cameras they destroy tonight.