need to cut record after trigger while continuously recording

Reaction score
This is my first post. I did read the help file and searched this forum for the answer, but did not find it. My apologies if I missed it.

I am trying to do continuous recording and cut the clip at the end of the break time for the motion trigger (or some specified number of seconds after the start of the trigger event). My goal is to get the clip files closed and uploaded to OneDrive a minute or two after the motion trigger event. This gives me added insurance over the physical security of my home video storage.

When I use the "Cut record when motion sensor is triggered" checkbox, the clip is cut at the start of the motion trigger. And because I am using continuous recording, the clip is not cut at the end of the trigger.

Any ideas how to do this?
Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@rdshackleford Welcome to the forum...You can set the combine and cut to two minuets each so that it cuts the file up..
The issue with this setup is that you are uploading massive amounts of video because you are recording continuously..what you can do is setup a duplicate cloned camera in blue iris, but set the second one to record on motion only and place these recordings in your onedrive folder..this way only motion events get uploaded..

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not a fan of the combine & cut every 2 minutes option because of the large number of files and the difficulty in locating the activity I'm looking for.

The option to use a 2nd cloned camera feed doesn't achieve my goal of getting all of the continuous video uploaded. For my purposes, the amount of video I am uploading is not unreasonable. I have the bandwidth and the storage.

I wish there was an option to cut the record at the end of the trigger break period instead of at the start of the trigger. It is a matter of in which file you want the motion activity event, the current recording or the new recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not a fan of the combine & cut every 2 minutes option because of the large number of files and the difficulty in locating the activity I'm looking for.

The option to use a 2nd cloned camera feed doesn't achieve my goal of getting all of the continuous video uploaded. For my purposes, the amount of video I am uploading is not unreasonable. I have the bandwidth and the storage.

I wish there was an option to cut the record at the end of the trigger break period instead of at the start of the trigger. It is a matter of in which file you want the motion activity event, the current recording or the new recording.
You can email support and ask for the option to be added...In the interim setting up a cloned camera will achieve the purpose of an emergency backup.
Even if the option is added, it may not help. If you have a large continuous file before it breaks due to motion it can take a while for it to upload. Even if you cut the file before and after the motion, onedrive will most likely begin backup up the previous continuous file that was closed prior to the new motion activated file. This issue will be compounded if more than one camera is triggered.

Reaction score
I had no success with OneDrive and now IDrive for cloud upload of large amounts of video data. OneDrive crashed very often, and IDrive could not keep up with the modest amount of data being stored (only about 50GB/day).

Has anyone had any luck doing realtime cloud backup of surveillance video?

I did send a feature request to Blue Iris support for a cut on end trigger option. No word yet.