Needing a camera that is comparable to IPC-T5442T-ZE quality, but will zoom.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was planning on using the IPC-T5442T-ZE for some cameras for my friends install, but after talking with him, he said he wants a camera that will zoom. I know the 5442 will zoom, but it is not made for that, is it?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a search function in the forum, you will find everything.

I suggest you to contact someone and pay him for installing the camera system for your friend. it seems that you are not willing to read anything on yourself.

just my 2 1/4 cents :smoking:

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's all I have been doing is reading. I have not found anything in the price range or that is of the quality. That's all I have done is search. I must be putting in the wrong words or something. I had the cameras all set and ready to get ordered and he now pops this on me about zooming. Why are you so judgemental? People don't have to be rude. Unless you know someones side or story, don't judge please. The world would be a better place if people would learn to get along.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was planning on using the IPC-T5442T-ZE for some cameras for my friends install, but after talking with him, he said he wants a camera that will zoom. I know the 5442 will zoom, but it is not made for that, is it?
Hi ingeborgdot,

IPC-T5442T-ZE - motorized varifocals are not designed to constantly zoom and and out compared to a proper PTZ camera. Still, I've used that feature at times on a varifocal, however normally you should think of it as a tool to help you set the FOV you want.

The next choice would be a proper PTZ ..

personally, I'd ask if he wants to pan and tilt .. if not, go with the IPC-T5442T-ZE

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I understand a varifocal to be, a set and forget, but I have also done the same thing where I have zoomed in to change the look, or to just get a better view if I needed.
I don't know how he is zooming with the bullets he has right now? He says he is. They are at least 5 years old. Do you think he is using a digital zoom, or something along that line. I don't know of any bullets that zoom, and it has me baffled. We have added 4 PTZ SD5A425XA-HNR to the mix to get into some places that he has dead spots in, and wants a better view. I suggested more cameras, but he wants a PTZ, so we have added 4 to the mix.
I'm sorry for asking, but are there any bullets that you know of that zoom? I have been reading and searching unbeknownst to some, but I can't seem to find any.
Thanks for your response.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I understand a varifocal to be, a set and forget, but I have also done the same thing where I have zoomed in to change the look, or to just get a better view if I needed.
I don't know how he is zooming with the bullets he has right now? He says he is. They are at least 5 years old. Do you think he is using a digital zoom, or something along that line. I don't know of any bullets that zoom, and it has me baffled. We have added 4 PTZ SD5A425XA-HNR to the mix to get into some places that he has dead spots in, and wants a better view. I suggested more cameras, but he wants a PTZ, so we have added 4 to the mix.
I'm sorry for asking, but are there any bullets that you know of that zoom? I have been reading and searching unbeknownst to some, but I can't seem to find any.
Thanks for your response.
There should be a bullet version of this turret: IPC-T5442T-ZE

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
This is the one similar to the turret 5442?
I guess I am confused about varifocal or motorized. They seem to be one in the same.
I think if he wants to zoom, which he does not do very often, he will just have to use the zoom option on the varifocal. If it breaks, it breaks, and we just get a new camera.
We could just get more PTZ cameras, which are made specifically for zooming if he feels the need.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The B5442 is the bullet version of the T5442. It is a varifocal or motorized depending on who describes it. Varifocal and motorized are interchangeable terms.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reaction score
Here is a search function in the forum, you will find everything.

I suggest you to contact someone and pay him for installing the camera system for your friend. it seems that you are not willing to read anything on yourself.

just my 2 1/4 cents :smoking:
one of the purposes of a forum such has this is to help one another find help quickly some of us like myself may need direction to help understand things, while we are not lazy or stupid, sometimes we simply can't find things like my wife's phone.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok. I'm just going to talk to him, and tell him there are no motorized zooms unless you get a true PTZ.

Also, Coldair, that is what I say. My wife hasn't even seen me in the last 2 days as all I have been doing is reading, searching and finding ............................................ nothing on what I want to find. What better place to go then here to ask the guys that were born with this knowledge and know how. It has been a beneficial place for sure.
I can do the install for sure. I will learn along the way too. Nothing wrong with learning.
I could hire it done also. BUT, we live in the sticks. The closest place is about 3 hours away. There cost for just labor was going to be $3000, whatever transportation cost would be, in either staying here or driving back and forth. The cheapest estimate was over $5000. That is without the equipment.
I want to help my friend and save him as much as I can since he is a quadriplegic in a wheel chair. He is an active guy that runs his own farming business. I help him when I can to do projects. He can afford to hire it, but why pay all that money when you don't have to.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - a varifocal, can be motorized or not. Now, thankfully most are motored. Older cameras you had to manually adjust ( real pita )

That particular camera I would avoid.. it has a very small sensor compared to what folks here prefer
4K 8MP Ultra HD 5X Optical Zoom Camera-3840 x 2160 resolution featuring enhanced Starlight utilizing the latest CMOS 1/2.7

Unless it is a PTZ it will be designed for less zooming back and forth ( the gears and motor will not be rated for as many operations, which still can be enough for those of us who zoom in and out .. just note that if we do it too much, eventually it will wear out .. )

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI - a varifocal, can be motorized or not. Now, thankfully most are motored. Older cameras you had to manually adjust ( real pita )

That particular camera I would avoid.. it has a very small sensor compared to what folks here prefer
4K 8MP Ultra HD 5X Optical Zoom Camera-3840 x 2160 resolution featuring enhanced Starlight utilizing the latest CMOS 1/2.7

Unless it is a PTZ it will be designed for less zooming back and forth ( the gears and motor will not be rated for as many operations, which still can be enough for those of us who zoom in and out .. just note that if we do it too much, eventually it will wear out .. )
Just curious, how did you manually adjust them? I have some cameras that are 4 years old, but I'm sure they are not manual.