Needing a quick answer please. Sorry for such a question

ou812b4

n3wb
Reaction score
I need an 8 channel nvr with hard drive installed and 4 good dome cameras POE. can anyone recommend a good all around setup for $800-$1000. Ive read and read and so many brands and many seem the same 4k looks good but is it more practical to get more 1080 cameras that are cheaper to cover more areas or 4k with more clarity. I'm really stressing over this and its for a rental storage that has two buildings and the owner is going to install more lighting. Just spent $5000 on the gate system and 14 units were broken into last night. I really hate asking such a question and if someone helps me i'd greatly appreciate it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I mentioned to you in the other thread, do not chase 4k - at night the 1080 (2MP) cams will be your better bet. Just ask my neighbors with their 4k cameras that didn't provide the money shot to get their stolen belongings back, yet my older 2MP camera did capture the money shot that ID'd the thief for the police to find and make an arrest and fortunately still had all the stolen stuff...If you have a lot of light, and I mean a lot of light, then maybe 4k, but most of us do not have enough light for 4K.

Also, do not be sold by some trademarked night color vision that is a marketing ploy in a lot of ways lol. It is simply what a manufacturer wants to claim for low-light performance, but there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the Lux numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.001 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.0 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

Hikvision calls theirs ColorVu and check out this video at midnight. You see this and it looks like daytime. But any motion in the frame and it is crap and will be a ghost blur. You notice they do not show anything with motion. I can make all my cameras look like this at midnight with no other light, but we want good motion video, not still images video.

It is these games that the consumer grade cameras of the world (rings, reolinks, nest, arlo, etc.) do to their camera to make it look good at night - but then a person walking by is a blur and people simply say well the camera isn't good at night. If you have the ability to change the settings, you can make it work. Just remember that every increase in shutter speed needs more light. So I can set mine to 1/250 second and eliminate blur at night, but then all that is visible is a 5 foot diameter around the camera IF I have enough light.

Here is another example from a camera manufacturer marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though... Will give you a hint - in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Given that you are trying to cover a rental storage area, you will end up wanting more than 8 cameras. As I mentioned on that other thread, 2.8mm or 4mm lens will only be beneficial if the unit is within 10-15 feet of the camera, so you will need more cameras and/or varifocal cameras that you can zoom into different areas.

Maybe even add a PTZ with autotrack that has a preset cycle it goes through and then can zoom in and track when it sees activity.

But without seeing your layout that you are trying to cover, all any of us can do is guess. But if the two buildings are situated such that they are on either side of a single pathway in between and all the units access are from this common pathway in between, then a PTZ on either end may be the better option.

Regardless, I strongly suggest getting an NVR that has more available cameras to add, or go with Blue Iris that you can add up to 64 cameras to as needed.

Maybe post a Google map of the area you are trying to cover and we can offer up some suggestions.

ou812b4

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again and i was thinking about 1080 cameras being cheaper and thus can buy more to cover specific areas i've used 5mp grandstream cameras connected poe to a computer years ago and they did a decent job even with car tags. they were like 2k resolution ok i'm sidetracked and my boss wants me to order something now or tomorrow and he should have a called a pro as i've gotten older and let technology leave me behind. if you have an idea for maybe a 8 or 16 channel nvr poe sytem and a decent dome camera that would be great. He now tells me he wants good quality cameras to help reassure his customers because if he says my cameras weren't working then they may go somewhere else. so if 4-6 4k cams or maybe 12 1080 or 2k if you can recommend the brand i should use and or model and an nvr that can record up to 4k but also 1080. i sent a google earth shot of the two buildings and the lighting is good on the backside of that but nothing in between so to speak but he's already called an electrician to wire the other building. I really do thank you for your input. i'm kinda afraid of hikvision because i read about dont' upgrade the hardware on some and some say usa compatible, dahua or armcrest any preference

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So do they only access the units from that common drive and no entry doors on the opposite ends? If so, I would put a PTZ on one end and then another camera facing the entrance drive to capture plates and another camera to be able to capture faces of people coming up to the gate.

Lorex, Amcrest, and a few others are made by Dahua, so you could get by on the cheap going with one of those brands, keeping in mind they are not as capable as a Dahua. But in a pinch to get going, sometimes we gotta take what we have money for and can do quickly.

Send a DM to @EMPIRETECANDY a member here who also has an Amazon store and sells Dahua OEM gear, but you can usually get a better rate buying all from him directly.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

ou812b4

n3wb
Reaction score
As I mentioned to you in the other thread, do not chase 4k - at night the 1080 (2MP) cams will be your better bet. Just ask my neighbors with their 4k cameras that didn't provide the money shot to get their stolen belongings back, yet my older 2MP camera did capture the money shot that ID'd the thief for the police to find and make an arrest and fortunately still had all the stolen stuff...If you have a lot of light, and I mean a lot of light, then maybe 4k, but most of us do not have enough light for 4K.

Also, do not be sold by some trademarked night color vision that is a marketing ploy in a lot of ways lol. It is simply what a manufacturer wants to claim for low-light performance, but there are so many games that can be played even with the how they report the Lux numbers. They will claim a low lux of 0.001 for example, but then that is with a wide open iris and a shutter at 1/3 second and an f1.0 - as soon as you have motion in it, it will be crap. You need a shutter of at minimum 1/60 second to reduce a lot of blur from someone walking.

Hikvision calls theirs ColorVu and check out this video at midnight. You see this and it looks like daytime. But any motion in the frame and it is crap and will be a ghost blur. You notice they do not show anything with motion. I can make all my cameras look like this at midnight with no other light, but we want good motion video, not still images video.

It is these games that the consumer grade cameras of the world (rings, reolinks, nest, arlo, etc.) do to their camera to make it look good at night - but then a person walking by is a blur and people simply say well the camera isn't good at night. If you have the ability to change the settings, you can make it work. Just remember that every increase in shutter speed needs more light. So I can set mine to 1/250 second and eliminate blur at night, but then all that is visible is a 5 foot diameter around the camera IF I have enough light.

Here is another example from a camera manufacturer marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though... Will give you a hint - in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Given that you are trying to cover a rental storage area, you will end up wanting more than 8 cameras. As I mentioned on that other thread, 2.8mm or 4mm lens will only be beneficial if the unit is within 10-15 feet of the camera, so you will need more cameras and/or varifocal cameras that you can zoom into different areas.

Maybe even add a PTZ with autotrack that has a preset cycle it goes through and then can zoom in and track when it sees activity.

But without seeing your layout that you are trying to cover, all any of us can do is guess. But if the two buildings are situated such that they are on either side of a single pathway in between and all the units access are from this common pathway in between, then a PTZ on either end may be the better option.

Regardless, I strongly suggest getting an NVR that has more available cameras to add, or go with Blue Iris that you can add up to 64 cameras to as needed.

Maybe post a Google map of the area you are trying to cover and we can offer up some suggestions.
So do they only access the units from that common drive and no entry doors on the opposite ends? If so, I would put a PTZ on one end and then another camera facing the entrance drive to capture plates and another camera to be able to capture faces of people coming up to the gate.

Lorex, Amcrest, and a few others are made by Dahua, so you could get by on the cheap going with one of those brands, keeping in mind they are not as capable as a Dahua. But in a pinch to get going, sometimes we gotta take what we have money for and can do quickly.

Send a DM to @EMPIRETECANDY a member here who also has an Amazon store and sells Dahua OEM gear, but you can usually get a better rate buying all from him directly.
Thanks again and he's wanting to order through amazon so i'll contact whom you suggested. one quick follow up will the ptz automatically track. also there is only one way in and the gate is supposed to lock at night automatically.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks again and he's wanting to order through amazon so i'll contact whom you suggested. one quick follow up will the ptz automatically track. also there is only one way in and the gate is supposed to lock at night automatically.
Amazon is a good way to get them quickly and still a good camera. The 5442T-ZE is a great camera for what you want. I have 4 of them now.

You can adjust the lens for what ever area you want covered. I have 2 of them running full color at night with a 10 watt LED light fixture above them.
Good luck catching your thief. I despise them!! For more goodies, here is Andy's store

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Andy just replied and has an Amazon store as well.

This PTZ from him will autotrack

General rule is to have enough coverage with fixed cams as the PTZ could be looking the wrong way, but given the tight area you are working in, it could be an argument to consider it. Some will argue either way in this instance.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Just spent $5000 on the gate system and 14 units were broken into last night.
Did they force the gate?

My storage yard had a rash of break-ins but there was never a forced entry through the gate and no piggy backing through the gate was ever seen on the gate cam. It turned out that one of the tenants was breaking into units and putting the stuff in an empty unit. Then a few days later they would come in and take all of that stuff out and sell it at a local flee market. This was determined by an audit the manager did of what units were supposed to be empty but had a lock on it. They found a few units that were supposed to be empty but had locks on them. Once the perps came to unload those units, they were watched by cameras and the police were called and they were arrested.