Needing Hikvision expert input, please!

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I am trying so so very hard to sort through all of this, but am coming up short. I'm going to try and go in order, but that might vary a bit.

1) Try not to edit your posts with updates, simply add another post to the thread. If it's small minor updates that you forget to add in right after you post it, no need to separate it from the original post, just change what is needed. I am spending quite a bit of time scrolling up and down and going back and forth from page 1 and 2 trying to recap what update goes with what original post. On that note, I get notifications when you post. Edits don't warrant such notifications, so I don't know to check it. As you can see many of my posts come from the iPhone or iPad, and those notifications are priceless. This one is going to be rather lengthy, so doing it the good old fashioned way on the MacBook Pro.

2) You have clearly reached a point of no return with this DVR, both in time spent, hassle undertaken, and stress incurred. At this point, you should do absolutely nothing more but factory reset the device. Whether it be via the web interface or locally at the device, do a 100% factory reset. This can be found under Configuration > Maintenance, in both the web interface and the local DVR interface. In fact, I really can't help you further because your issues are so peculiar and unique to your situation for the most part (considering the whole cluster of problems), that you will not find a single answer no matter how much additional time you spend on it.

3) You've already freshly flashed the latest firmware, and that did nothing. So that rules out firmware. While the firmware may have caused most of the issues, the fault doesn't seem to reside in the firmware itself, but likely the config. Hence, factory default will eliminate that, and hopefully all of the problems associated with it. The only point you can rule the device defective is after a fresh firmware flash and config reset. Fine, let's say the firmware is buggy. Be that as it may, the basics should still be operational which doesn't seem to be the case in your situation. Your recording settings for example, are just flat out not being honored. That's a huge problem, and without wiping the config to rule that out as a culprit (or deem it the culprit), you'll sit here for days trying to find the source of the problem when it's actually the result of a combo of numerous things, and factory reset is the only way to resolve that. Reset it, and set it back up as if it were brand new.

4) SDK stands for Software Development Kit. What this means is that some external piece of software that incorporates Hikvision's SDK/API can communicate with the DVR to reset the lockout. (it's pretty much only going to be Hikvision software, but that's only one aspect of the concept) I understand your confusion about the admin user being locked not able to unlock other users...etc in an infinite recursive loop, but that timeout usually can be quickly solved with a power cycle. As long as your passwords are what it deems strong (it, not you or me or anyone else), this should be a non-issue. I had the same issue as you are experiencing on a 7600 NVR, and strengthening the password solved it. (I just use 1 cap the rest lower and numbers, works great)

5) I avoid the Windows and Mac client software like the plague. It's fussy and I don't like it. I much prefer sticking with the web interface. I'm not sure if your recorder has the newer red/white interface, or if it's the older red/gray interface (web interface, not local), but the new one is spectacular and much nicer to work with.

6) I am just now reading that your DVR is for the most part back to normal. See why post editing is bad? I'm so far lost. In any case, If I understand things correctly now:
- NVR is accessible with the admin interface on local, web, and iVMS (in the case of iVMS, accessible means the DVR is reachable under devmgmt, stream access is not what I'm asking)
- recording has returned to normal/HDD LED looks to be of normal activity
- you're effectively back to square 1 with the original question about duplication/redundancy

7) In remote access situations, when using the web interface, you never want Live View to open automatically, and that is for bandwidth reasons. This can also have a greater or lesser impact based on whether you're using the Main Stream or sub stream. This is very much a purpose-built feature that I whole heartedly embrace. Sometimes I need to jet over to the config tab or the playback tab to check on something or look at some video. If Live View were to start automatically, and open all n cameras, That consumes all of the upstream capacity onsite from wherever that location is, as well as ties up the WebComponents plugin, which more times than not will crash the browser.

8) Blue Iris takes the place of your recorder, it's not really monitoring software. Beefy PC hardware with really good software.

9) I wouldn't touch that hybrid. While I've heard of HDView, they have no website, no brand it seems, which tells me it's likely a rebrand of someone else's product. If you thought Hikvision's support was bad, it'll only get worse. (unless you find a very very good seller, then you're in luck). I know this might be hard for you to grasp, but do stick with Hikvision if you can. Dahua is another major brand (probably #2 to Hikvision), but their software is terrible. Firmware is arguably much better, but it can go obsolete quick and obtaining updates here in the US is downright impossible. I say stick with Hikvision for a number of reasons:
- they are one of the few manufacturers that support cross-browser cross-platform. It's not perfect by any means (chrome fell off support for a little while now), but all of these cheaper brands (rebrands?) support Internet Explorer exclusively. IE is discontinued, Microsoft Edge took it's place. As further builds of Win10 are released, IE will be removed with enough time. I own almost entirely Apple products, so you can probably understand why that's an automatic deal breaker to me.

10) $200 on BNC splitters?! wow. You're going to have less signal loss from splitters than you will from poor connections. When it comes to anything RF, always always use compression fittings. None of those push on or twist on deals. Need to be compression fittings/connectors that compress length wise, not hexagonal width wise. PPC is the gold standard of compression connectors, I'm not sure if they make BNC though. I've used cheaper brands and they work fine too. The sole fact that it's compression creates a seal between the connector and coax that prevents any signal from leaking.

11) I love working with the Chinese. They're fun to haggle with and they give me some killer pricing. Don't get the leaf thing, but clearly neither did they, as they have removed it from current firmwares.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
0400 hrs: Update - Seems a clean install of the iVMS4200 and RemoteBackup software was required.
Originally I just upgraded the existing instance of the client software. Client version read correctly - no access. Thought about, this morning, the idea of removing original iVMS4200 from OS and install the newer version of client. Successful. Accessed cameras automatically as the client software can find the device, once you install the IP address of your DVR.
Also, just set up the backup software [original download] cleanly, and, it, too found the DVR...configured a schedule, after importing cameras...and life is good...will be back to pretty much normal after this morning.

CoreyX64 <------I think you are correct in the possibility that QNAP RAID format is something that Hikvision does not play well with...tried to incorporate QNAP as NAS this morning. It was discovered perfectly by the backup software but unable to "inialize". Error was "format error"....The ability of the DVR to recognize/access/manipulate QNAP's RAID just doesn't exist, I'm afraid. That is my conclusion.
So, I think somewhere in near future, I'm going to step off and grab that 24 channel hybrid DVR because I want the capability to record somewhere else than DVR. Not content to just have a "snapshot" configured.

Anyway, wanted to say thank you for all your input. You kept me sane, or, relatively sane...I generally go ballistic when things happen that could have been avoided. So, I thank you for withstanding my rants. Talk with you soon.
Glad to help. I can almost guarantee you that cheap Hybrid recorder will not even consider NAS as a possibility. Hikvision's might not handle them correctly, but most other cheapy brands don't handle them at all. check descriptions and ask questions before you buy, and be specific. Returns are never fun.

Check permissions on the QNAP to verify whatever login info the DVR is using has write permissions (really, set it to full permission everything). If it still doesn't work (very likely), that's an NVR fault and not much you can do about it.

Reinstalling software...same principle behind my factory reset logic. Sometimes a clean slate is absolutely necessary. If you can have it backup daily and everything works fine, let it go. NAS is not worth screwing with on these. I'm not the only one who will say this, look around. It is one of the most common complaints I see on here, besides the typical regional issues. I have newer, higher end equipment than what you have and network storage still doesn't work for me as well. (nor does local MicroSD storage with the IP cameras; again, you're far from alone)

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It may have been closer to $100. on the splitters, but I have like 10-15 of them.

I forgot to apologize for making my posts hard to follow.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No worries. A couple times we crossed each other's paths in writing; I didn't finish writing one post while you updated an old post as I was typing, so by the time I hit post, I missed a ton of new info so it appeared as if I didn't read it. Not the case though, I'm reading everything you're posting. Just trying to keep it in order so I can follow steps along with you to help you solve this quicker.

Let me know if there's anything else you're puzzled by. It's Hikvision, so I'm sure there will always be something. I agree with you though, their business models and documentation are shady at best. I only stick with them due to the quality of their hardware. The firmware, while it has come a LONG way, still needs a lot of work. They're more worried about gray market and regional restrictions than actually spending time to fix and improve their own products. (mind you, they created their own gray market by playing chicken and holding the English language against us as a weapon). Being in the field of computer and electrical engineering, technical support means absolutely nothing to me. Many times I know more than they do solely from an experience perspective. They only know things based on procedure. It's always an uphill battle. Unless I need something from them like warranty replacement or anything, I don't waste my time. Forums like this are a much better source for help and information, as you've probably already discovered.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, sir! Far more responsive with actual information pertinent to situation as opposed to some manual that is written in very poor English grammatical constructions; with the expectation that you will somehow have an epiphany just by staring at what is on the paper.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CoreyX64:
Discovering that the iVMS4500 HD version on cell is version that is listed as the latest in app store. Not good when this version yields the Error 153. A little research makes me think that Error 153 is that software thinks a wrong user ID or password has been used. Local instance of client software accepts ID & password just fine. It is the DVR, via local network, that will not allow access. Funny thing is that I've set the client version IDs and passwords to be identical as those on the DVR...I will try deleting existing client app on phone, reinstall, and hope it works; at least for local access.

Remote access via dynamic dns is going to be another issue to grind through..

Oh, but we've managed to get the backup working again; with an uninstall & re-install. Same version number that was installed initially now works...go figure. I hope it is as easy on the cell and tablets...My laptop [older Acer] has already balked at this process, in spite of using same OS of Win 7 Pro, as is on PC at desk. Could it be that Hikvision has no options for the AMD CPU/hardware regarding the sadp_npf "failed to install" message? How does one "force" the install of a specific module?? After everything else installed correctly...I really didn't get into this surveillance business to be forced into becoming a damned hacker. Pure insanity. The stuff is supposed to work because you paid $$$$ for it. Isn't that the way it is supposed to work? And, upgrades are supposed to "enhance" performance/experience - not degrade it.

Note: Remote Backup works on both Win 7 Pro & Win 8.1 boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK....the uninstall and re-install of the iVMS4500 HD app worked well on one of my tablets. So, I'm encouraged that I may be able to get the cell to work as well. Both the tablet and cell have the latest versions, regardless of whether it was the original install or is a re-install. Tells me that the install of the "updated" firmware requires a unique identity somewhere in the process of security protocols....that's all I can think of....maybe an encrypted key thing....who knows, right?

Guess now I'll start looking for a PTZ cam to replace front door cam...what's there is a good cam, I just want the added luxury of zooming in, if I feel like it. Or, zooming in on the mailbox. Wonder if a cam exists that would automatically zoom in, capture a photo, then return to original setting, should it recognize that a person was at the door....that would be awesome.

Am getting same error when trying install iVMS4200 client on Win 8.1 box as I am getting on my laptop, which has Win 7 Pro as an OS....error: "sadp_npf failed to install. Please close related program and try again"

Well, after "re-installing" about 15 times between the two devices, the "new and improved" version of the 4200 client sucks and has a major problem.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've put all of this out here so that anyone else caught like this can go through and filter out whatever they might need to get things back to normal.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just saw this after I replied to your other thread. I do recall a time when updating from version to version of iVMS caused the program to flat out not open. Upgrading the system to Win10 fixed everything. Hard to explain. It's definitely not written very well (coding wise) which is why I don't use it unless I absolutely have to.

No matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled, it never opened until upgrading to 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your issues with the software are pertinent to your system. Unique identities are not required. I have not tried simultaneous login on multiple clients at the same time however. Not sure if that's what you're doing. My phone iPad and MacBook all have the Same login, all work great.

No such camera, but that would be useful. I have seen them with the ability to automate the PTZ Motion, so snapping a picture after it moves seems like it would be trivial.

The only security change with the new firmware is Activation, which all that entails is removing the default password. When you purchase new Hikvision equipment, you must supply an admin password before you can use it. That way no one can guess 12345 simply knowing that as Hikvision's default. (No longer the case)

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Final installment:

All client monitoring software issues resolved. AND, I can say with some exuberance, the DVR is now recording to my QNAP 469 Pro, redundantly!

No idea how I made it happen. Just stumbled into it after ensuring rights were good on NAS share and going into Storage Server tab in new monitoring client options. Oh, and I entered the NAS as a Storage Server. Unable to remotely config error messages but I moved on into the Recording Schedule menu. Set up first camera to correct template, entered into Advanced Settings and set "redundant" to YES....Made sure I had first camera settings the way I wanted them, hit COPY TO & selected all the other cameras, then clicked on SAVED. Seems the settings worked in the client software [setting params on DVR] but failed to set them on "Storage Server", aka NAS.

After the failed message on saving the settings, I figured the gig didn't work. Moved on to other things on PC....and, just on a hunch or maybe just curious, I checked files on NAS in the share directory. There was a file, created today, that had a picture as an icon! Got excited, of course.

The NAS transcoder could not transcode the file...it [the NAS] was trying [it was this window appearing every few seconds while I was in the NAS that made me go look at the files] to transcode the file but it progress every time the window appeared was 0%. So, tried the file in Media Player - it was a no go. Downloaded VLC, associated all the files in the share directory to VLC. VIOLA! I could watch my file, located on the NAS!!!!!!!

For those behind me, who walk down this path, understand that each file created will represent one, 1, camera. File is appended each "motion detected" recording, provided you have your DVR set up to only record when motion is detected. VLC provides tons of utilities, but is disappointing in ability to scroll along timeline - expect to just sit and watch the file from beginning to where ever you want to get to on the video...might find a better video player and manipulator software...I'm unaware of any as this [NAS recording redundantly from an analog DVR] is not my strength.

Anyway, I proved to myself that it could be done! Wahoo! Thank you everyone who extended helping hands...I've been at this project for about a year now....so stoked...so stoked!

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This post can be deleted as far as I am concerned, in case and admin cruises through here.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvision and many other manufacturers have a proprietary codec when the video is encoded. It might be derived from H.264, but it's not pure H.264. VLC is the codec King when it comes to playback. If VLC can play it back, nothing can. So I'm not surprised the QNAP can't playback the video because it's Hikvision proprietary.

As far as a better player to use, somewhere Hikvision has a dedicated standalone player than you can download that you pair up with the video file to gain the natural timeline scroll bars back.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision and many other manufacturers have a proprietary codec when the video is encoded. It might be derived from H.264, but it's not pure H.264. VLC is the codec King when it comes to playback. If VLC can play it back, nothing can. So I'm not surprised the QNAP can't playback the video because it's Hikvision proprietary.

As far as a better player to use, somewhere Hikvision has a dedicated standalone player than you can download that you pair up with the video file to gain the natural timeline scroll bars back.

Wow! Man, you are full of information! Wish I had known about 1/20th of what you do when I put this system in. We would not have settled for 960H...price diff to have 1080p IP cams would not have been that great + I could have run CAT 6 cabling....much better than RG58 or whatever it is...I used to use that kind of coax for CB radios. But, again, I did not want to be in the attic, in Texas, in the summer months....gets pretty hot around here, especially in attics that don't have A/C. ;)

Thank you, very much!

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is the File Player I spoke of, latest version released last week:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/00 File Player/Windows VSPlayer/&file=VSPlayer V7.2.0.zip

There is also a format conversion tool that, in the event you need to have the video in a format playable by others not in possession of Hikvision software, will convert to a standard format, found here:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/03 Video Format Convert Tool/&file=Format ConvertEnNeuSetup_V3.1_0104Build3.rar

I get that a lot actually. People always say they wish they could take a cable and download my brain contents into theirs. Back then I would say, NO MINE GO AWAY. Now I say, cable? why not Bluetooth? who uses cables anymore? (actually I'm a wired guy, I'll take copper over WL radios any day)

RG58/59 is bad primarily because of the lack of shielding. (although I love how pliable it is) Cable TV for instance, operates under the 1Ghz frequency. Many of the frequencies that are transmitted over the wire are used over the air as well. (but weren't as widespread as they are today). Back in the 80s-90s when we had A-B cable, 59 unshielded was acceptable because the interference in the environment wasn't as great. You also could get away with poorly crimped connectors or even the twist-on ones. Now, RG-6 is a minimum requirement (which is shielded) and all fittings/connectors must be compression. (creates an air-tight seal around the coax jacket to eliminate signal loss/leakage). Category would have definitely been the way to go, but hey, live and learn.

My first project at age 12 involved a 16CH analog camera setup, however this was when IP was barely out of the gates. they were very low resolutions and sky high prices. I decided to run 5e because I knew at some point they would likely get upgraded to IP, and that it made sense anyways because category cable is cheaper than coax. (it was when we were buying it back then). You had baluns on each end to convert BNC to RJ45, but other than that, the wire was simply wire. Except this wire is now in building cavities that are no longer accesible. (layers and layers of thick commercial-grade insulation) While nothing has been upgraded as of March 2016 because the system has been 100% functional for almost 10 years now maintenance free, if or when that time comes when management comes to their senses and listens to what I have to say, it's as simple as camera replacement and add a network switch. that's it. (the recorder is PC-based and supports up to 64 cameras, analog and IP combined; back in 2007 this was considered powerful) That's not only cheaper in parts, but also significantly less labor as well. But hey, he's just a 12 year old kid. What does he know?

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the File Player I spoke of, latest version released last week:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/00 File Player/Windows VSPlayer/&file=VSPlayer V7.2.0.zip

There is also a format conversion tool that, in the event you need to have the video in a format playable by others not in possession of Hikvision software, will convert to a standard format, found here:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/03 Video Format Convert Tool/&file=Format ConvertEnNeuSetup_V3.1_0104Build3.rar

I get that a lot actually. People always say they wish they could take a cable and download my brain contents into theirs. Back then I would say, NO MINE GO AWAY. Now I say, cable? why not Bluetooth? who uses cables anymore? (actually I'm a wired guy, I'll take copper over WL radios any day)

RG58/59 is bad primarily because of the lack of shielding. (although I love how pliable it is) Cable TV for instance, operates under the 1Ghz frequency. Many of the frequencies that are transmitted over the wire are used over the air as well. (but weren't as widespread as they are today). Back in the 80s-90s when we had A-B cable, 59 unshielded was acceptable because the interference in the environment wasn't as great. You also could get away with poorly crimped connectors or even the twist-on ones. Now, RG-6 is a minimum requirement (which is shielded) and all fittings/connectors must be compression. (creates an air-tight seal around the coax jacket to eliminate signal loss/leakage). Category would have definitely been the way to go, but hey, live and learn.

My first project at age 12 involved a 16CH analog camera setup, however this was when IP was barely out of the gates. they were very low resolutions and sky high prices. I decided to run 5e because I knew at some point they would likely get upgraded to IP, and that it made sense anyways because category cable is cheaper than coax. (it was when we were buying it back then). You had baluns on each end to convert BNC to RJ45, but other than that, the wire was simply wire. Except this wire is now in building cavities that are no longer accesible. (layers and layers of thick commercial-grade insulation) While nothing has been upgraded as of March 2016 because the system has been 100% functional for almost 10 years now maintenance free, if or when that time comes when management comes to their senses and listens to what I have to say, it's as simple as camera replacement and add a network switch. that's it. (the recorder is PC-based and supports up to 64 cameras, analog and IP combined; back in 2007 this was considered powerful) That's not only cheaper in parts, but also significantly less labor as well. But hey, he's just a 12 year old kid. What does he know?

There was a time that I felt like I could hold my own on most things. Not anymore. I'm 62 years old, oilfield professional who went back to college at age 36 for a degree in InfoSys. I did not have many options available after being rear-ended. Neck fused two vertebrae together. Didn't quite get the undergrad completed, have 18 semester hours remaining [life kept getting in the way]. Just seems like so much has changed. Like, COBOL was the washout course. Now, it is JAVA. Oilfield is basically on oxygen support, as far as my life is concerned. I doubt seriously that I will ever grace another drilling rig in the capacity of earning a dollar. And, I'm looking for a job. 15 years in IT, and never mastered any of it.....I could never find any structured plan to that world. Apparently, I kept taking dead-end roads and ended up with 4 years of helpdesk exp that is somewhat resellable as a skill set, and 4 years of IT inventory work which I can no longer do because of back problems....I just want to get this house squared before I check out so that my wife doesn't have to. At least, that is the immediate goal. And, that requires a job, which I don't have. Man, you just hate life sometimes....or, at least, how things work at times.

As for you, "young man"....your generation grew up in the digital world. I'm surprised that you guys don't walk on water yet.
I can remember a time when an 8-Track player was considered hi-tech and the large reel-to-real tape player was the "ultimate" in audio. The idea of cassette tape decks was novel, and, cute at best because most of us couldn't afford to chance the exorbitant money required on a "maybe" thing. We didn't know if it would last, as a technolgy, or not. My first car was a 1953 Chevy. Paid $200 for it. Spent $100 for an Earl Scheib's paint job, another hundred on chrome rims, baby moons, and wider tires...and that was the coolest car. My dad told me I was foolish for spending that kind of money on that old of a car. A year later, I put in an inverter so that I could listen to my 8-Track tapes...since the electrical system was 6-Volt. Even had a dual headphone jack installed instead of speakers. Not nearly as great of an achievement as you or your generation with things digital, but, still not bad for a guy who knew absolutely nothing about anything. Did all of that while in high school, working part-time at a Safeway store for $1.65 per hour.

Anyway, it all seems so small today. Thank you for all of your support and openness. Very much appreciated.